SWCphotography

Candela Structures at the World's Fair Marina

Giving credit where credit is due is a good thing but calling these "Peter Schladermundt" structures would be like dubbing a product the "Samsung iPhone". Granted Peter Schladermundt pitched the idea to Owens Corning, he was known more as a corporate logo designer than Candela who's career was devoted to thin shell structures. The absence of internal straight line reinforcing that Candela would have used explains cracking that distinguishes the designs:

Candela3-L.jpg

Candela1-L.jpg

http://www.planetizen.com/node/44895

Hello,

I just found a 35mm Kodachrome slide of something called Robin Lake that has some very unusual sculpture - very much like the Budd "petals" remaining from 1939 with the last one removed C. 1961. I will scan it and post it. At first I thought it was Fair related but I think the date stamp is '59.

Best wishes and lovely image!

Eric

Had it not been for FĂ©lix Candela's prior work on hyperbolic paraboloid structures these would not be here:

Candela2-L.jpg

Candela4-L.jpg

There are 2 World's Fair hold overs in this one:

Candela5-L.jpg

Thanks Mitch, let's turn our talents toward helping the NYSP with another round of paint!

We are actually working on getting something going...will keep you posted.

Great stuff, Chris. B&W is still such a beautiful medium.

My very first internet discovery and rebirth of my interest in the 1964 World's Fair (back in 2000) was on a search for "whatever happened to the Texaco Map". I stumbled into a website titled Modern Ruins, by Phillip Buehler You've probably all been to that site. I've always thought that would make a great History Channel series... Modern Ruins. Imagine all of the fabulous subjects there are?

One more Candela shot:

Candela6-L.jpg

I once rode my bike out here on a windy day when this was a Coast Guard station, it may have been before the Fair opened. I recall talking to the recruiter, also with a Swedish background, who informed me that anyone with the name Christian could boad the HMS Bounty for free.

Hi, Mary Ellen - welcome back!! If you hunt around here you should find a thread showing a visit to the upstate Candela. It looks like a great weekend retreat.

Wow, welcome back Mary Ellen, you've been missed! I noticed your Flickr handle.. clever. :-)

For those of you who don't know Mary Ellen, she's a relentless super-sleuth and has chased down everything from a barn full of Glide-a-Rides to an original AMF Monorail car, and most of the Sinclair dinos.

Glad you're back!

Doug

A parting glance at the Candela structures:

WFmarina-L.jpg

One more Candela shot:

Candela6-L.jpg

I once rode my bike out here on a windy day when this was a Coast Guard station, it may have been before the Fair opened. I recall talking to the recruiter, also with a Swedish background, who informed me that anyone with the name Christian could boad the HMS Bounty for free.

It's hard to believe I mentioned this only 4 days ago. The loss of life and legend a tragedy for all.

sales_image.php?name=8960116z.jpg&id=138924&lb=4_398542&size=medium

Did they survive the hurricane, I hope? They certainly must have been flooded.

These may have been relocated to Upstate NY by Sandy!

Meanwhile, the parks department is planning to renovate the Queens shells, which are riddled with cracks and other damage. A study later this year will determine what restoration work is needed and how much it will cost.

Sounds like they face the same fate as the Skystreak elevators.