kanika

architectural thesis topic..

13 posts in this topic

hello everyone,

i am an architecture student. I was wondering what if take exhibition pavilion for India(my country) as my topic for thesis.. wil it work.. any suggestions... from where can i get information regarding this..

India had outstanding pavilions at both the 1964-65 New York World's Fair and Expo 67 in Montreal. I believe both were the work of architect M. M. Rana.

Right. Stonorov & Haws, Philadelphia, was the U.S. associate, FWIW.

If you need pictures of the 1964 and 1967 buildings let me know.

You might try to find out whether a competition was held to choose the architect (a common thing with national pavilions for international expositions), and if so, how the judging was done. A common thing is to have weighted criteria which grade each proposal based on factors such as demonstrations of national themes or 'the best of native architectural styles'. It would be interesting in your thesis to explain how the selection of pavilion architecture was tied to the desire to 'say something about India'. What message did the Indians want to portray to visitors?

For example- at the 1937 Paris Expositions, the German and Russian Pavilions faced each other and both wanted to portray a message of 'power' in their architecture. Eventually German spies got copies of the Russian blueprints, and made sure the German Pavilion was taller. An awesome precursor of the coming war.

So what did India want to portray? In the mid 60's they were the world's newest member of the 'nuclear club'. Was there anything in particular they wanted to say about that, or just downplay it?

1 person likes this

Hello Kanika,

Are you interested in the fairs of 1964/65 and 1967 or does the placement of your post in this subforum for Milan 2015 mean you are interested in something esle?

Best wishes,

Eric

If you need pictures of the 1964 and 1967 buildings let me know.

it will be really gratefull if u mail me the pictures.. my mail id: kanakgupta28@gmail.com

You might try to find out whether a competition was held to choose the architect (a common thing with national pavilions for international expositions), and if so, how the judging was done. A common thing is to have weighted criteria which grade each proposal based on factors such as demonstrations of national themes or 'the best of native architectural styles'. It would be interesting in your thesis to explain how the selection of pavilion architecture was tied to the desire to 'say something about India'. What message did the Indians want to portray to visitors?

For example- at the 1937 Paris Expositions, the German and Russian Pavilions faced each other and both wanted to portray a message of 'power' in their architecture. Eventually German spies got copies of the Russian blueprints, and made sure the German Pavilion was taller. An awesome precursor of the coming war.

So what did India want to portray? In the mid 60's they were the world's newest member of the 'nuclear club'. Was there anything in particular they wanted to say about that, or just downplay it?

thaku sir.. I got ur point... and if u get any info regarding this.. Do contact.. my email id is: kanakgupta28@gmail.com

India had outstanding pavilions at both the 1964-65 New York World's Fair and Expo 67 in Montreal. I believe both were the work of architect M. M. Rana.

hello sir..

do u knw something about the ministry who look after the matters like this..

any other suggestions regarding whether i should opt for this topic or not..

If you read this ground breakbreaking booklet carefully....

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/booklets/india-groundbreaking-4-18-63.pdf

There are several references to leads- avenues of potential follow-up research on specific names of individuals- that you can pursue in India. That research might lead to some historical papers located in files somewhere. There is also a reference to a man in Philadelphia who was involved with the architects. I don't know who he was, but if he was a U.S. architect there might be some archival papers there too.

It is also interesting that Indira Ghandi makes reference to the endeavour's difficulties in light of the 'recent agression'. I presume she's referring to the war with Pakistan. Pakistan also had a pavilion at the 1964-65 World's Fair. It would be interesting to go through the records of the New York World's Fair Corporation- which are now located at the New York Public Library--- into the specific files of these two pavilions, which presumably would reveal some of the steps in initial negotiation to entice the two of them to be presented. I wonder if there was discussion with either party about keeping the two pavilions geographically separated in the fairgrounds. We have to think that nobody would want them directly across the street from each other, like Germany and Russia's pavilions in 1937.

Indeed this could be a very interesting part of your project- to explore how the 1964-65 New York World's Fair's theme 'Peace through Understanding' might have influenced the decision by India and Pakistan to both be represented by pavilions when they were involved in a bitter war at the time, and how the details of design, choice of location, and so on, reflected both the desires for how these two countries wanted to be portrayed, but constrained by the realities of what was actually happening in 1963 and 1964 as the two pavilions came to fruition.

I wonder if the exhibits in the India Pavilion (or Pakistan Pavilion) even mentioned in any way the ongoing war.

Interesting quote displayed in the India Pavilion in 1964.

64-08-29-01.jpg

If you read this ground breakbreaking booklet carefully....

http://www.worldsfai...ing-4-18-63.pdf

There are several references to leads- avenues of potential follow-up research on specific names of individuals- that you can pursue in India. That research might lead to some historical papers located in files somewhere. There is also a reference to a man in Philadelphia who was involved with the architects. I don't know who he was, but if he was a U.S. architect there might be some archival papers there too.

It is also interesting that Indira Ghandi makes reference to the endeavour's difficulties in light of the 'recent agression'. I presume she's referring to the war with Pakistan. Pakistan also had a pavilion at the 1964-65 World's Fair. It would be interesting to go through the records of the New York World's Fair Corporation- which are now located at the New York Public Library--- into the specific files of these two pavilions, which presumably would reveal some of the steps in initial negotiation to entice the two of them to be presented. I wonder if there was discussion with either party about keeping the two pavilions geographically separated in the fairgrounds. We have to think that nobody would want them directly across the street from each other, like Germany and Russia's pavilions in 1937.

Indeed this could be a very interesting part of your project- to explore how the 1964-65 New York World's Fair's theme 'Peace through Understanding' might have influenced the decision by India and Pakistan to both be represented by pavilions when they were involved in a bitter war at the time, and how the details of design, choice of location, and so on, reflected both the desires for how these two countries wanted to be portrayed, but constrained by the realities of what was actually happening in 1963 and 1964 as the two pavilions came to fruition.

I wonder if the exhibits in the India Pavilion (or Pakistan Pavilion) even mentioned in any way the ongoing war.

thanku sir.. for ur kind help... can i get site details of the proposed site for world expo 2015 to be held in milan, italy..

it will be really very helpful to me..