• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lkramberg

lkramberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and I thank those that administer for the World's Fair Community. I visited the 1964-'65 NY World's Fair many times and presently live within walking distance from Flushing Meadows Park. Since the 50th & 75th anniversaries of both New York World's Fairs are less than 2 years away, I'd like to know if there are any plans by the Queens Museum or any other organization? I have been in contact with the Walt Disney Organization and they said that they are aware of the anniversary, but they would not yet say what their plans were. Is there anyone that knows what (if anything) might be in the works? Thanks.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,706 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

If the city is planning anything it's a great big secret. I don't think anyone has heard a thing about it. Please let us know if you do. And welcome!
  • lkramberg likes this

#3 lkramberg

lkramberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the response Bill. Your 1964-65 World's Fair books are a part of my collection and they bring back fond memories, so thanks for the books as well.

I did email Paul F. Anderson a few weeks back since his Persistence of Vision extended article is the definitive piece on Disney and the Fair. I asked if he was going to be at the Disney D23 Destination D event next month since I'll be there, but I haven't received any response as yet. I'll definitely be speaking with some D23 people about doing a World's Fair-connected event in 2014.

I think that it is unlikely that the City will do anything since a new Mayor will first be coming into office in January 2014. More likely, the Queens Museum would have to institute an event.

Again, thank you for welcoming me to the site and for your great books.

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,706 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

My pleasure! If you do hear from Paul please say Hi for me!!

#5 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

I hope we plan something informal at the least.

Eric

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new york, ny, worlds fair, 1964-65, 1939, flushing meadows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users