Unisphere in Colorado Springs

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just discovered a small unisphere at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs . I don't have the ability to post photos but Googling same will bring up pictures.

Pure serendipity how I found it.

Playing w unknown feature of The Weather Channel app on iPad, I punched in Colorado Springs to check temps and wildfires near a friend's business. Up pops a spinning globe animation w a random crowd sourced photograph of the locale. Lo and behold there is the unisphere at what I guessed from experience was the OTC.

I searched for a post I had made of a unisphere at the Port of Miami but it did not come up, hence the separate post.

Posted · Report post

You can also get a glimpse of it in Google Earth street view - appears to be about 2 stories tall

Posted · Report post

There is also an Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California... so it's possible there might also be a Unisphere there, if there's one in Colorado Springs.

Posted · Report post

Cool find!

None of 'em ever look as good, and as nicely proportioned as the original, though!

Posted · Report post

There's also a mini one at 59th and Columbus in Manhattan.

post-3701-0-76440100-1340973570_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Hi Bog, that wouldn't be the missing Uni from the Boy Scouts of America "pavilion" at the '64 World's Fair, would it? Randy and Bill?

Posted · Report post

No, that's a new one at the Trump building there.

Posted · Report post

Oh, I thought the Trump one is gold (must be the lighting I usually see on the TV show).

My first thought was that Bog's must be the Trump globe, but I hadn't seen it at that angle before, and never noticed the dish-like cradle it's in. My question about the Scout's Uni was just wishful thing.

Sure would be cool if that one ever turns up.