5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I found a Youtube video entitled, Rocky Point Park Exploration 2010. This is the amusement park in Rhode Island which has now been closed since 1997 and is now mostly demolished. Nevertheless, the kids who made this short film slip into the ruins of the park and in the first scenes, it is evident that Rocky Point's General Foods Arch still stands--or still stood in 2010. I guess one just goes to Youtube and searches by the title stated above. I know that the Arch at New York's ADK Enchanted Forest still stands, but the one at Rocky Point really is a marvel. It stands when all else has been pounded into rubble.

#2 worldsfairfan

worldsfairfan

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the tip... going to watch that video later.

I haven't been on here in awhile and meant to post this last year, just letting everyone know that there is now a Rocky Point Walking Path. Along the path is a view of the bay on one side and the other a chain link fence blocking off the amusement park relics, the Arch included.

This link has some pictures, the first showing the arch.

http://www.facebook....505.94709168849

Here is another with pictures including the arch again.

http://www.yelp.com/...sKwDZg-D3FCyo1A

I'm hoping to check it out this summer.

Last time I saw the arch was in 1996, after the rides had been auctioned. I remember walking right under it to enter the park. There were only four rides left then, but we had a great time. I lost count how many times we went on the flume! It was sad to see Rocky Point close.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

I spent several summers in the 1980's teaching at a school with a special summer session for international students learning English (near Newport, RI). We took kids to Rocky Point a number of times and I remember seeing that arch for the first time. This was long before the internet and websites such as this. Nevertheless, I instantly recognized what it was. I had the same feeling when I saw another arch at Enchanted Forest in the Adirondacks about the same time. I marvelled that these two simple structures still existed and that they were NYWF legacies. I have sometimes thought it would be amazing to have some sort of world's fair museum in Flushing Meadow Park and it could include a few of the remaining 1964 lighting fixtures and even a rescued GF Arch--among other artifacts. The fact that this Rocky Point arch remains is remarkable but it is clearly on borrowed time. It is unfortunate it has no future.

#4 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Here's the YouTube link. Thanks, Jim!

#5 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

How sad. You sure can't tell it was ever a place people enjoyed so much.

Odd that they patrol it so heavily.

#6 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I am glad I found the video and thank you for posting the actual link. I also agree that it is strange the place is so well guarded. I don't get that part. It is not as if there is anything remaing that one could steal or damage. Maybe it is an insurance thing. Also, with all of that waterfront and with a huge population in so many nearby towns, it is incredible the place has not been developed into something--anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users