Hello All,

Has anyone ever tried to organize a convention or get together where fans of Fairs and EXPOs can get together for a weekend and swap stories, hear speakers, watch old films, etc...? I understand the challenge of getting people together and funding it. However, has anyone ever given it a shot?

Just Curious,

Jeff

There was a gathering called "Saturday in the Park" - there are threads on it here somewhere. Have to run out now so can't search. There also used to be a big sale show in Queens each year called the Adria show, but it hasn't been held in years.

Hi Jeff,

There were a few of these meetings - I missed the last few but in Feb. 2007 I gave a walk and talk in the cold and I think we had a wonderful time! :) The Adria show brings back many memories. There have been attempts at this and that, but nothing quite like that. It used to be held right in the Queens Museum long ago if memory serves!

Best wishes,

Eric

Most such gatherings seem to be local and celebrate the World's Fairs or International Expos held in that region. New York is an example as is Seattle (1909 and 1962 Expos), and in Great Britain- they pretty much celebrate British expos (I attended one in April 2010). I've heard there are some collectables bourses in Paris that have killer material from the many Paris and Brussels Expos.

There has been talk of us organizing another SIP type thing for the 50th anniversary of the Fair. I am still recovering from the first SIP in 2001!

That link didn't work for me, Elizabeth.

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

If anyone ever wants to try to organize an event, let me know. I would love to spend some time around others who appreciate the Fairs and EXPOs. I do have a question in that vein, for those of you who have spent a lot more time engaged with the subject. A quick glance seems to indicate that 64-65 is the most popular Fair being chated about. I assume that this is because it was the last somewhat grand Fair in the US. How large is the core group of people who are really into Fairs and EXPOs, both here and around the World?

Not sure I can answer the question about numbers of people but I remember joining this site when it was fully devoted to the 1964-65 NYWF. Over time, discussion branched toward other fairs and expositions and this site is the result of that curiosity. It has evolved into a wonderful resource. Welcome!