• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Baker Rader

Jan Baker Rader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

According to a blog article on the Duff Quarry site, the arches have only been there since 1990. Part of the text of the article reads:

"During the 1960’s, Indian Lake Playland Amusement Park brought the arches in by railroad with plans to eventually erect them at the park. However, the plans never came to fruition leaving the arches sit in the weeds for over twenty years. Over the years the arches fell into the hands of a restaurant owner in Russell’s Point; and there they continued to sit.
In 1990, Jim Duff, owner of Duff Quarry bought the structures from Anthony Guisliano, the owner at Pier 33, a restaurant in Russell’s Point. Finally in 1991 the arches were erected in front of the Duff Quarry headquarters in Huntsville, Ohio."

(Article is at http://www.quarryins...s-fair-history/)
I wonder if any of the others listed here might know how and from whom they were originally purchased from the fair. Was General Foods possibly one of the vendors/exhibitors who didn't want to deal with removing or selling the arches, and just left them for the fair association to deal with? It could be possible that someone involved with the Indian Lake Amusement Park (if they can be found) may know what the original history was and may lead to finding some of the six missing arches.

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I don't know if they were left there on purpose as landmarks or not but the arches were some of the last things removed from the Fair site when everything else was demolished. I have pictures pretty much showing the place empty but the arches are still standing. I was once told they were left there on purpose to give the demolition crews landmarks to help find the projects they were working on but I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate.

#3 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Just my opinion, but I seriously doubt GF abandoned the arches due to financial considerations.
That's not to say there wasn't perhaps some special arrangement with the Fair corporation, wherein the Fair would agree to sell/dispose of the arches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users