9 replies to this topic

#1 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I was watching the opening scenes from the film, "Wait Until Dark," which features Audrey Hepburn and Richard Crenna. In any event, the opening scenes show a woman boarding an Air Canada DC 10. She is smuggling something from Canada to the US. As she walks out of the airplane, their is a large Expo 67 logo along the side.

No big deal, perhaps. But the film was made in 1967 and there, for as long as this film exists, is the Expo logo and a reminder of that incredible exposition. I love finding stuff like this.

#2 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I just watched it also. It was actually a DC 9.

#3 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Interesting. The only reason I said DC 10 is because that is what the woman behind the ticket counter said it was to the passenger smuggling the doll filled with heroin. But is was great to see that logo.

#4 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hmmmmm, missed that. The DC 10 didn't fly until around 1970 and Air Canada never flew it. They wisely chose the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star instead.

#5 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've seen that movie many times, even own it, but I never noticed the Expo logo before.
There is a Douglas Aircraft logo near the door that I remember, though.
Thanks!

#6 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Above Miss Hepburn's Makeup by.....

Attached Files

#7 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

That's it! Thank you for posting that, Mike! It is even clearer once the woman smuggling the bad stuff walks down the steps. In any event, that is great you could do that for us. Thanks again. Oh, I would not have said it was a DC 10 if I had not heard it in the film because I really don't know a DC anything from the Wright Brother's plane!

#8 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Mike. Where did you get the photo? A screen capture from your TV?

#9 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yep, I have the DVD, did a screen capture. Jim has a good eye, as that's the best view that I was able to decern.
The announcement in the terminal was for, roughly: Air Canada DC-9 service to New York Kennedy Airport.....
How 'bout those air stairs carried in the aircraft? Is that wild? Life was so much simpler then.

#10 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yes, and taking anything you want onto the airplane--including a doll filled with heroin! I hate flying today. Did it say DC 9? I knew it was DC something. I don't know that I would have caught that Expo logo if I had not listened to Robert Osborne on TCM when he introduced the film and said it was in theatres in 1967. I also noticed that much of it was filmed in Montreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users