18 replies to this topic

#16 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Wayne - I just put these on eBay but thought you might get a smile out of these. What can you tell us about the TV set?

Let's turn the clock back to the days long ago when a broken television set meant a repairman would come out to your house, and if he couldn't fix it, would issue those dreaded words "I have to take it to the shop". That usually meant the empty cabinet stood there silently reminding you of all of the shows you were missing until the innards were fixed and returned. Well, just like Lucille Ball did on "I Love Lucy", these two young girls decided to put on their own show inside the empty cabinet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ha ha cute pictures! I'll see if I can dig up the ones I have doing the same thing in a similarly gutted tv set.

The tv repair man didn't come up to our house, but my father had a Telefixit book and he was constantly bringing tubes down to the drug store to check them. The drug stores had tube testers and sold tubes. If my father couldn't fix it we had to haul the thing down to the tv repair shop. Those tv's required constant tinkering - and the rabbit ear antennas did too.

#17 Larry L

Larry L

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Boy, I wish I had one of those books back in the days I was seemingly always testing tubes at the drug store. We had one TV that seemed to cycle through every tube about once a year. The trouble was I never knew which one it was that particular day, so all the tubes would come out and all would get tested.

I imagine even finding tubes today for vintage sets must be quite a challenge,

#19 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Actually, finding most tubes is not too difficult in the quantities restorers need (as long as they are not weird multi-function tubes or those with odd filament voltages); however, some of the prices for tubes originally used in TVs have been run up as they are sometimes repurposed these days for use in tube audio amps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users