Bill Cotter

Fountains of the Planets - post-Fair - and working!

My guess is a bunch of rusted pumps, Robert Moses' desktop Unisphere model, Jimmy Hoffa's bones, and a stack of 1965 Mad magazines. :D

I was at the park today and there were some of the parks workers draining one of the reflecting pools of standing water from the rain this week. Being the chatty person I am, I decided to go talk to them. I asked if they were pumping water in or out and do the pools still work. The answer I got was yes, but they haven't filled them in ages. They can be filled though. Not sure about the jets, they haven't tested them. As we were at the far end near the pool of industry, I asked what was inside that building. Nothing....there are some pipes, but nothing works in there. It was a little disappointing. Really nice guys, chatted about all the cool things they see there. Apparently they have a clog in the drain line for that last reflecting pool before the pool of industry and they're having a hard time getting it fixed so if you happen to wander over after a big storm, you might get a chance to chat with them while the hoses and pumps do their thing. If you do, try to find out what is under the park... he mentioned something about being 5 stories below. :)

Around the Unisphere I heard there are underground pump rooms, and we've even seen (in photos) the trap doors to go down to them--- they're near the QMA.

I was in the park around 2002 during a week day and the fountains were running in the pools between the Unisphere and the fountain of the planets. While the fountains were not filling those pools, I was told that they were on to clear the pools of debri. It looked fantastic to see them on all in a row on either side. Sadly I have no photos

Somebody posted a photo just a few days ago of the empty pool of the Fountains of the Fairs nearest "Pennsylvania", and it looks like all the fountain jet hardware is gone.