Bill Cotter

Fountains of the Planets - post-Fair - and working!

On all of my visits to FMCP since the Fair ended I've wondered why they left that round concrete structure in the middle of the former Pool of Industry. It has been said that all of the former Fountains of the Planets mechanism had been removed, so what exactly is inside that building?

Well, it turns out that all of the mechanism apparently was not removed. Let's take a look in that direction a few years after the Fair ended.

reflections-1.jpg

See the fountains? Let's take a closer look:

reflections-2.jpg

It looks like there are fountains at water level, which would appear to be at the former Fountains of the Fairs, as well as jets of water on the circular building itself.

Has anyone else seen shots of these fountains in action, or know when they were finally shut off for good?

This negative was undated. Another one in the same group shows the elevator parked mid-way on the NYSP. When was it that Chas parked it there?

There's still SOMETHING in the middle of that pool.... That and the reflecting pools need to be fixed up...

I definitely remember seeing fountains eminating from the replacement box in the center of the Pool of Industry. I never understood why the far nicer-looking original fountain installation wasn't kept...

That VIP Sky Streak aways photographs in almost the same spot.And whats with the empty grounds, it looks like the fair is closed and they let these people in. Look at the grandmother and mother in jackets and the kid in a t shirt.

to me it looks like in between seasons and the fair is still going on

oops i'm wrong sorry

The photo could have caught the elevator while it was moving up or down in the late 60's, but we've heard that people actually using that elevator was so rare, it's unlikely. More likely that this was after the elevator was parked in '69 or '70, but before the brightly covered roof was taken down in about 1975.

Quite possible that this was about the time of the McGiver episode- what was that, about 1971? This would be about the time that the roller skating concession was operating.

Quite possible that this was about the time of the McGiver episode- what was that, about 1971?

For the record, Randy is referring to the episode of McCloud with Dennis Weaver titled "Showdown at the End of the World". Check out the link below!

There's a good picture of the Unisphere with the BLUE base. Bill, is there a possibility of adjusting the color a bit on the Uni picture to bring out the colors a bit?

Mitch, that negative was poorly exposed and had very little color in it. If I attempt to boost the overall saturation the base comes out more green than blue. I tried boosting just the blue but the water in the fountains turns an unnatural blue as well.

By the way, that McCloud video shows the elevator at a much higher position than where it appears in the ppicture above!

I just found this clip from McCloud and it is amazing. The Fair was just seven years in the past when this episode was filmed. The scenes of NYS are remarkable. The roof is still there although covered on the exterior. Already, the decline of the structure can be seen in the flaking paint and rusting metal, but so much is in good condition. I have never seen the entire sequence prior to this and I am truly impressed at how much of the park is shown. One can even see the US pavilion in the distance. Very cool.

I think probably the day the World's Fair closed in October 1965. That doesn't mean the Parks Department couldn't make them available to private groups such as filming--- that's how that McCloud episode resulted. But not open to the public.