#1 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

Happy Halloween Everyone!

While updating your account photos a few of you have noticed it doesn't appear instantly. This is because we recently started using CloudFlare, a service which helps protect and speed up the community. The experience has been mostly great but because some of the speed comes from bits of our community, for example, images, being stored elsewhere there may be a short delay when updating things like images.

There is a solution. I can go in and clear the stored information and make way for the new stuff. Just let me know you have updated your information and I can take care of it.

More About CloudFlare

CloudFlare protects and accelerates any website online. Once your website is a part of the CloudFlare community, its web traffic is routed through our intelligent global network. We automatically optimize the delivery of your web pages so your visitors get the fastest page load times and best performance. We also block threats and limit abusive bots and crawlers from wasting your bandwidth and server resources. The result: CloudFlare-powered websites see a significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.
Posted Image
CloudFlare's system gets faster and smarter as our community of users grows larger. We have designed the system to scale with our goal in mind: helping power and protect the entire Internet.

CloudFlare can be used by anyone with a website and their own domain, regardless of your choice in platform. From start to finish, setup takes most website owners less than 5 minutes. Adding your website requires only a simple change to your domain's DNS settings. There is no hardware or software to install or maintain and you do not need to change any of your site's existing code. If you are ever unhappy you can turn CloudFlare off as easily as you turned it on. Our core service is free and we offer enhanced services for websites who need extra features like real time reporting or SSL.

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Marc, are you talking clearing just personal profile information, like avatars and personal profile pictures?

Hopefully not clearing out attachments.

Also, I found some old postings of mine that had images displayed, which had an external url address to source the picture. Some of those urls have slightly changed, but I know the new address. I used to just be able to edit that post, tweak the address, and bada-bing, it worked.
Not any more. Even externally referenced pictures seem to be stored in some different way, and I can't figure out how to edit the text of those old url addresses. Any suggestions?

#3 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hopefully not clearing out attachments.

No, not at all.

CloudFlare is a Content Delivery Network (CDN). They cache static content from our server and distribute it to servers on their network. These servers have fast connections to the world and are most likely geographically closer to our members resulting in pages loading faster and taking some of the load off of our server. It gives us some of the benefits of having a server farm without the cost. CloudFlare also protects our community against attacks from malicious web bots, hotlinking images, and obscures e-mail addresses from address gathering spam bots (when they are included in posts, IP.Board is set to not share member e-mail addresses).

When I say "clear" I mean clearing CloudFlare's cached versions and having it pull fresh from our server. Not clearing anything from our server.

Do you have an example of a post with images that has changed?

#4 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

Here is a random example--- these pictures at the start of this topic are working because I edited them a few months ago.
http://www.worldsfai...age__hl__mastro

But if they weren't working, how would I fix them? Even using 'full edit' mode, it now displays the picture instead of the url text string.

I can see the url when I right-click on the picture and pick 'properties', but I can't change it.
I suppose I could *delete* the picture and insert an entirely new url to replace it... but we used to be able to edit the url itself. Sometimes only one or two characters in the url text string are wrong or have changed and need to be tweaked.

#5 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not sure. I visited the topic and was able to view and edit the URLs for the images. Are you familiar with WebEx? We could meet and do a screen share.

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I've tried to edit URLs as well without luck. A permissions thing perhaps?

#7 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

You're both Root Admins, you can edit everything. Strange.

#8 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

I just went up to the post with the CloudFare graphic at the start of this thread and tried to edit it. The graphic displays and I can right click for properties, but nowhere do I see the html code for it for editing. I remember a board or two back you could switch between seeing it or not, but I couldn't see a way here.

#9 Marc Williams

Marc Williams

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

That's really strange. When I go to edit I see this.

[img]https://www.cloudflare.com/media/images/overview/illustration-small.png[/img]

I will look at the settings. We should all have the same permissions.

#10 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

That's what I'm looking for, but don't see it. You're right, if you can see it but we can't, it must be in the permission settings. If you find it, it should be made available for the general population (anybody who has posting privileges).

#11 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,829 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Randy/Marc/Trey -

To edit a url in a post you need to go to EDIT, then look for a small icon on the top line of the editing/formatting tools - on the far left next to what looks like a pencil. Click on that to toggle into/out of html formatting. You can then fix a broken image link!

#12 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,361 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

AH.... that's what I've been looking for !!! MUCHAS gracias!
After posting all these years in BB code it flows out of my fingers almost like touch typing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users