Participating countries

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was just wondering around the BIE site, and noticed that Milan is ahead of its target of countries signing up in 2011, with 56 already (target of 50 by end 2011)

http://www.bie-paris...milan-2015.html

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

That's encouraging to hear. Given Italy's economic woes-- not to mention everyone else's-- I've been half-worried they'd call the whole thing off.

Posted · Report post

I noticed no participation from North America so far. Canada is usually one of the first in line to sign up.

Posted · Report post

60 countries so far + UN

last ones: Moldavia + Dominican Republic + Bangladesh

Posted · Report post

+ Nepal = 61 Participants

Posted · Report post

+ Qatar

+ Thailand

=

63 Participants

Posted · Report post

+ Lebanon

+ Slovakia

+ Tajikistan

+ France

+ Guinea Bissau

= 68 official participants

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Not sure why Canada has not become involved but it should be noted that the Harper government closed the Canadian consulate in Milan several years ago (along with a number of other consulates) pleading Federal poverty. Oddly, it was closed about the time Toronto lost its 2015 bid to Milan. I would guess the US will not officially participate. How foolish is that? I am also interested in the fact that Shanghai turned a profit. Impressive.

Posted · Report post

As I mentioned previously, I am surprised that Canada has not signed up. Since Expo 67, they have usually been among the first dozen to express interest in participation. I agree Jim, the U.S. will probably not participate. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was able to garner enough interest from private concerns to mount a U.S. exhibit in Shanghai but I don't think the economic and political reasons that spurred interest in Expo 2010 exist for Expo 2015.

Posted · Report post

the US are participating in the Recognised Yeosu Expo 2012 so I guess they'll be in Milan too (although with that odd private participation)

Toronto has never been an applicant for 2015. Just Izmir was with Milan.

Posted · Report post

+ Oman

+ South Korea

it's 69 Countries + UN

Posted · Report post

+ Kirgizistan = 71 official Participants

Posted · Report post

I am unsure if Toronto had a formal bid with the BIE for the 2015 exposition, but a May 15, 2009 article written by Christopher Hume in the Toronto Star clearly indicates the city had been working to prepare formal plans for several years and threw in the towel at that time. The article is entitled: "Toronto's Loss Big Gain For Sister City Milan."

Posted · Report post

surely not formally

Posted · Report post

it's 75 official participant right now:

+

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

+ Vietnam

+ Pakistan

+ Italy (as a participant, not organizer)

Posted · Report post

Toronto tried to bid for Expo 2000 and Expo 17.

Posted · Report post

I knew that they were trying to pull something together a few years ago to place a bid for the 2015 Expo. It seems that the big sticking point is money. I believe that any nation is going to have to give the BIE some pretty strong assurances that the Expo will happen, even if that means that the national wallet has to be opened up to pay the bill.

It would be great for the Expo to come back to North America. I hope that they can make something happen. The next available Expos open for bid are the small 2022 or 2023 Expo, and the large 2025 Expo.

And I can understand a nation's concern about committing to something that far out. Given the fragile state of the global economy, you are rolling the dice a bit to commit to spending, probably, upwards of 10 billion dollars on a 2025 Expo. But I think that the gamble is worth it!

Posted · Report post

A thought about the economy and world's fairs: During the Great Depression, there was a plethora of expositions. Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, NYC and San Francisco in the USA all hosted fairs on the hopeful assumption their respective expositions would spark the local economy. It was a totally different and very optimistic view of what a municipality might be able to do to help itself in the midst of an economic disaster. Chicago's fair turned a slight profit for investors (the others did not fare as well) but it is difficult to adequately determine just how much each fair assisted the economy of its host city and/or region. Hotels, restaurants, shops etc. did find improved profits but precise measurement of such increases is difficult. Of course, there were important expositions in Europe as well and the Depression was just as severe there as it was in North America.

Today, however, the concept of a huge exposition and all of its related expenditures during the current recession is seen as impractical at best and irresponsible at worst. I am not sure how to gauge this. Perhaps it means we have become more practical and focused on long term issues. However, because we still have a remarkable ability to spend tax money in foolish ways, maybe all this means is that we have lost our optimism and our ability to dream big.

I am not sure which is true.

Posted · Report post

Yep, Canada missed 2012 and I am wondering why no Milan 2015 as well.