What is this and is it worth anything?

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My grandmother gave me this Century Of Progress collectible about 20 years ago. As far as I can tell it is for the card game "Bridge". I have been searching for information on it since it came into my possession and have come up empty handed. Even Google came up empty.. a first for me! Anyone have any idea if this is worth anything or if it is really a bridge game?

post-5188-0-78284300-1317483328_thumb.jp

post-5188-0-04807000-1317483352_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Almost all World's Fairs included decks of cards among their souvenir offerings. Some decks were special Bridge sets. Not too uncommon, but since yours is from 1933-34, condition is what's going to matter with paper items like playing cards. If they are in mint condition, you could command a premium price.

Or, judging by your label it doesn't include the playing cards at all, just the scoring sheets. Still an interesting item.

Posted · Report post

Thank you for the response. Got me thinking about the contents description on the box and I did some more digging.

Found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280739883812+

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=194&ItemNo=65743

Almost all World's Fairs included decks of cards among their souvenir offerings. Some decks were special Bridge sets. Not too uncommon, but since yours is from 1933-34, condition is what's going to matter with paper items like playing cards. If they are in mint condition, you could command a premium price.

Or, judging by your label it doesn't include the playing cards at all, just the scoring sheets. Still an interesting item.