midnightrid3r

NYSP in danger?

Since we're expected to get Hurricane Irene in about 24 hours, I was wondering. Is the NYSP safe, those towers have been through so much in their life time. Are they able to withstand a high category 1 hurricane with winds up to 90mph?

Structurally, I think it should be okay. Of greater concern is if the Park will be getting any flood damage as a consequence.

I'm now hunkered down in central NJ to ride this out!

If you're talking about the elevator / observation deck towers, I'd think the round design makes them inherently strong in high winds- just like airport control towers. I'd be more concerned with a high wind getting the main building's cable-roof to bouncing up and down.... but then it might take a wind of several hundred miles an hour to do that.

A category 1 hurricane is relatively weak... and because of NYC's latitude- well north of tropical warm waters that build strength in hurricanes- it seems pretty unlikely that NYC is ever going to see more than a category 2, or extremely rare, a category 3. Katrina was a category 5.

Randy, whats the worst you think can happen apart from flooding?

In hilly areas, mudslides can come crashing down on houses and sweep them away- particularly if there is a lack of strong-rooted vegetation on the hillside. But the worst danger is human stupidity like going out to the shore to take pictures of the big waves and going out on a rock jetty to get a better view. Sometimes it's not easy to save people from themselves.

In hilly areas, mudslides can come crashing down on houses and sweep them away- particularly if there is a lack of strong-rooted vegetation on the hillside. But the worst danger is human stupidity like going out to the shore to take pictures of the big waves and going out on a rock jetty to get a better view. Sometimes it's not easy to save people from themselves.

I was actually talking about the park lol.

What are we thinking about Unisphere? Still able to withstand 100 MPH winds..? It's been through some work, since then.

I'm from Miami, and have been though quite a few of these... I'm unsure of how different things will be up there.

I'll be thinking of you guys, best of luck braving the storm.

So, how did it go? Seems as though it's almost over, and went easier than expected! Thank goodness!

This just in. The Unisphere rolled off it's pedestal and plowed right into the New York State pavilion like a bowling ball. Queens declares Monday a citywide day of mourning for loss of swimming pool for local kids. Parks Department officials rejoice that the cost of removal of the debris will be a fraction of what it would have been if they had to tear the building down and it will all be covered by emergency disaster funds! In an unconfirmed related report, the collapse of the pavilion caused the hill where the Time Capsules were buried to give way. When last seen, both Time Capsules were said to be riding a wave down the Grand Central Parkway in the direction of JFK Airport.

• Like 1

The biggest threat to the NYSP is man made. The double layer cables of the TOT were designed to resist wind induced flutter; during the World's Fair, when there was a "tent" you had this precedent:

307849_2139786330263_1114296440_32198638_2494356_n.jpg

I'd be more concerned with leaking in the roof of QTIP if you look closely at the upper edge:

685482417_zotpP-X3-1.jpg

This just in. The Unisphere rolled off it's pedestal and plowed right into the New York State pavilion like a bowling ball. Queens declares Monday a citywide day of mourning for loss of swimming pool for local kids. Parks Department officials rejoice that the cost of removal of the debris will be a fraction of what it would have been if they had to tear the building down and it will all be covered by emergency disaster funds! In an unconfirmed related report, the collapse of the pavilion caused the hill where the Time Capsules were buried to give way. When last seen, both Time Capsules were said to be riding a wave down the Grand Central Parkway in the direction of JFK Airport.

HAH! Well done.

The biggest threat to the NYSP is man made. The double layer cables of the TOT were designed to resist wind induced flutter; during the World's Fair, when there was a "tent" you had this precedent:

307849_2139786330263_1114296440_32198638_2494356_n.jpg

I'd be more concerned with leaking in the roof of QTIP if you look closely at the upper edge:

685482417_zotpP-X3-1.jpg

Huh. Very interesting.

And QTIP? Don't know that one, sorry... mellow.gif

More likely the Unisphere would roll straight down the Court of Nations and take out the skateboard park, revealing a beautiful Astral Fountain pool underneath. Then it would keep rolling, take a big jump over Meadow Lake Bridge, and go flying into Meadow Lake.

Trade the Uni for the Astral Fountain...?

NEVER. tongue.gif

Queens Theater In the Park - QTIP

Ah, thank you. :)

Poked around there when I visited, last. Beautiful facility... shame they can't expand into NYSP.

Apparantly there was some damage to the outer mezzanine wall near the Astral Fountain. (not sure if it's related to the storm orif it was man made. Those cinderblocks can be taken out pretty easy with a chisel) Someone posted about it on Facebook, you can now see inside what was once the Restaurant area. (junk, lampstands, and dead pigeons) Sad sad sad.

What's going on with the towers? I used to post on here a lot as JettRink and haven't been here in awhile. I mean they are going to fall someday and there is a museum right next to them. I remember various campaigns and no one with any power did anything. Today people have no idea of a World's Fair being there, I know people who drive right by the Unisphere on their way to work and they never noticed it. I remember people climbing up

on the towers and taking beautiful photos but this was several years ago, I don't know if they are still doing that or not. I have such beautiful memories of the fair, I had 6 movie rolls of films and 3 were sent in for

processing and were never returned. The only films I have are on Youtube. The color is terrible, but it looked like that back then, it was free film we got with the camera and it wasn't Kodak for sure. I got to go two times in

1964 and sometimes it's like yesterday.