Alias Alma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hello everybody,
I am hoping to go this June...now searching for info on:
- how long it takes by the speed train from Seoul to Yeosu
- are hotels etc within walking distance from expo site?
- what kind of community (university town, heavy industrial, tourist spot, newly developed, etc) is Yeosu

(I went to Shanghai 2010 & it was truly a great experience!)

Thanks in advance...

#17 wayofthefuture

wayofthefuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hello everybody,
I am hoping to go this June...now searching for info on:
- how long it takes by the speed train from Seoul to Yeosu
- are hotels etc within walking distance from expo site?

From what i have read the train will take ~3.5 hours from Seoul to the Yeosu-Expo station

There are hotels nearby, but it has been difficult for foreign tourists to make arrangements:
  • I managed to reserve a room for 3 nights in July at the B&Beach Hotel (formerly Tiffany Hotel). Their website (http://www.bnbeach.com/) isn't in English, but you can contact them at bnbeachhotel@daum.net for reservations.
  • The Hilton at Namhae has availability and can be booked through www.hilton.com, but it requires a 30-minute ferry ride in each direction. I contacted the property manager, who told me the ferry should run ~20 times daily in each direction. Hotel Site
  • From what I gather, the MVL hotel is the closest to the Expo itself. The hotel opened just this week and I'm not sure if rooms will be made available for non-VIP guests. Hotel Site
  • This page can help you identify other options for accomodation, but does not actually allow booking from what I can tell.

#18 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Wow, that does not sound very enticing.

#19 wayofthefuture

wayofthefuture

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

It's unfortunate really. I can't imagine many foreigners are going to go out of their way for this when making arrangements has proven so difficult.

To follow up on my previous post, http://www.hotelwide.com/ now seems to have a couple of options in Yeosu.

#20 Alias Alma

Alias Alma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

From what i have read the train will take ~3.5 hours from Seoul to the Yeosu-Expo station

There are hotels nearby, but it has been difficult for foreign tourists to make arrangements:

• I managed to reserve a room for 3 nights in July at the B&Beach Hotel (formerly Tiffany Hotel). Their website (http://www.bnbeach.com/) isn't in English, but you can contact them at bnbeachhotel@daum.net for reservations.
  • The Hilton at Namhae has availability and can be booked through www.hilton.com, but it requires a 30-minute ferry ride in each direction. I contacted the property manager, who told me the ferry should run ~20 times daily in each direction. Hotel Site
  • From what I gather, the MVL hotel is the closest to the Expo itself. The hotel opened just this week and I'm not sure if rooms will be made available for non-VIP guests. Hotel Site
  • This page can help you identify other options for accomodation, but does not actually allow booking from what I can tell.

Thanks. The themes sound great, yet I'm still deciding:)

#21 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I've booked my planes and trains, too. I'll be visiting Daejeon's Expo '93 site on 07 June and then down to Yeosu for Expo 2012 from 08 June to 13 June. It would be great to meet up with other world's fair fans while there.

#22 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

I hope you have a great trip, and look forward to your reports on it.

#23 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Well after my trip looked as though it had headed southward, it's back on - flights and hotels, but no expo tickets booked.

Will completely miss Bill as my Seoul part of journey is 08 June to 13 June, and then on to Yeosu.

But I hope that means that I'll get to log-on and see Bill's reports somewhere from Seoul :rolleyes:

This will probably be my last expo, so I won't to get everything I can out of it!!

#24 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Hello All,
I hope to be in yeosu around the last week of July. Anyone else plan on being there around that time?

#25 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

Have you looked into hotel arrangements yet? The last time I checked there were not many options in Yeosu.

Now that I am here I see that The MVL is very very close to the Expo - looks cool, but also looks expensive.

Hidden Bay is new, between Yeosu and the Yeosu 2012 (where the Expo is) and runs a shuttle bus to the Expo at 7:30 and then 8 more times a day (with a truly excellent driver).

And my guide book mentions: Yeosu Chambord 1054-1 Goghwa-dong (061/662-2011); and Hotel Eastern Jewelry 343 Chungmu-dong (0161/663-2011)

#26 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I just returned from the Yeosu EXPO. I really liked the layout of the event. I was in Zaragoza in 2008, and I found the Yeosu event more interesting both architecturally, and from the standpoint of the geographic location. Of course it helps that the EXPO is located on the coast.

#27 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

The corporate end of the EXPO had several stand alone pavilions like the Hyundi and Samsung pavilions that gave that area the feel of a larger EXPO. I believe that the crowds have been a bit lighter than expected. However, there were around 120,000 people who visited last Saturday. And crowds were brisk the entire time of our stay, with the exception of Wednesday evening when a typhoon moved through. Hopefully the images I have attempted to attach, showing a few corporate pavilions, have come through

Attached Files

#28 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the report and pictures. Those are the first I've seen. Overall where would you rate it on the proverbial 10 scale?

#29 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

Sadly, the USA pavilion was, once again, a letdown. It seems that the Shanghai model was followed. You first enter a vast, empty room with a waterfall curtain at the back. There they show a welcome from Clinton, Obama, and Philippe Cousteau. Then you enter the Citi theatre to see a glorified Powerpoint presentation with a number of people saying, "This is my Ocean." You then exit past the corporate sponsor displays and the gift shop. I guess that the most troubling part of the display is that there are no opportunities for visitors to get hands on with anything. The person I was traveling with described it as a lecture. Given the technological sophistication of viewers, I think that you have to give them a lot more than images on a big screen to impress them.

Attached Files

#30 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hello Bill,
Mind you, this is only the third EXPO I have attended. However, I would give it a solid 8. And that number takes into account the fact that it is, by design, a smaller EXPO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users