Anybody visiting Yeosu?

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I think the title is self-explanatory, but is anyone planning on visiting?

I'm vaguely thinking of 17th May and 2 weeks onwards. But beyond that I haven't really (and by really I mean at all) thought it through :(

wf256

Posted · Report post

Looks like a very small event. Not sure it would be worth the time and energy (not to mention $$$) to get there.

Posted · Report post

Looks like a very small event. Not sure it would be worth the time and energy (not to mention $$) to get there.

Maybe I'll be the only one :unsure:. But if I do go - I'll report back....

Posted · Report post

I'm planning to go as well. This will be my first Expo (of many, I hope) and first visit to Korea.

My tentative plan is to visit in late June for 1-2 weeks, with a few days in Seoul as well.

Posted · Report post

I'm planning to go as well. This will be my first Expo (of many, I hope) and first visit to Korea.

My tentative plan is to visit in late June for 1-2 weeks, with a few days in Seoul as well.

Oh excellent. My plan is to go to Korea on 17th May, with Seoul first - so it's possible that we will be there at the same time. Just 1 week for me (although I may regret not spending more - as I've never felt as though I spent too much time at a fair)

I'm also intending to go to the DMZ, which will be interesting. I think most people on PTU are American, so probably very aware of the Korean war; there's less awareness here in Britain (including myself :(), even though British forces were involved.

Posted · Report post

Yep, ~62,000 Brits participated in the war. Was unaware of that myself.

Watch yourself around the DMZ, the Norks still have those tunnels, you know.

Posted · Report post

Oh excellent. My plan is to go to Korea on 17th May, with Seoul first - so it's possible that we will be there at the same time. Just 1 week for me (although I may regret not spending more - as I've never felt as though I spent too much time at a fair)

I'm also intending to go to the DMZ, which will be interesting. I think most people on PTU are American, so probably very aware of the Korean war; there's less awareness here in Britain (including myself :(), even though British forces were involved.

The DMZ is on my list as well. I also looked at the organized trips into the DPRK, but it seems that might be a bit too ambitious for my time frame.

Have you looked into hotel arrangements yet? The last time I checked there were not many options in Yeosu.

Posted · Report post

I hear there's this big hotel in Pyongyang... B)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Have you looked into hotel arrangements yet? The last time I checked there were not many options in Yeosu.

Well, there have been so many failures of individual airlines/hotel chains etc. over the past few years I'm approaching a package company and leaving it to them :blink: then I'm covered by ABTA. They haven't indicated any difficulties, but we shall see...

Posted · Report post

Yep, ~62,000 Brits participated in the war. Was unaware of that myself.

I didn't know it was that many. It makes it more shameful that it's so unknown.

Watch yourself around the DMZ, the Norks still have those tunnels, you know.

I think they might be keener on heading for the bright lights of Seoul to wait around looking at me,

Posted · Report post

[quote}I think they might be keener on heading for the bright lights of Seoul to wait around looking at me,

Posted · Report post

I'll be there for sure, but I'm not sure if it'll be there as a member of the press for a week or so... or longer.

I'm writing a series of articles for the official Expo 2012 blog and hoping to perhaps even work there during all three months:

http://2012expo.word...world-of-expos/

Posted · Report post

That sounds like a great adventure. Good luck! I'm enjoying the blog.

Posted · Report post

I'll be heading there for at least two weeks. early June or early July. Also going to try to hit Shanghai again and see what the Expo site looks like now....and visit the Saudi Arabia pavilion which is still open and was one of the few I was unable to make it in to.

Posted · Report post

I booked my flights yesterday. I'll be in Yeosu from July 9-12, then Seoul from July 12-14. :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hello everybody,

I am hoping to go this June...now searching for info on:

- how long it takes by the speed train from Seoul to Yeosu

- are hotels etc within walking distance from expo site?

- what kind of community (university town, heavy industrial, tourist spot, newly developed, etc) is Yeosu

(I went to Shanghai 2010 & it was truly a great experience!)

Thanks in advance...

Posted · Report post

Hello everybody,

I am hoping to go this June...now searching for info on:

- how long it takes by the speed train from Seoul to Yeosu

- are hotels etc within walking distance from expo site?

From what i have read the train will take ~3.5 hours from Seoul to the Yeosu-Expo station

There are hotels nearby, but it has been difficult for foreign tourists to make arrangements:

• I managed to reserve a room for 3 nights in July at the B&Beach Hotel (formerly Tiffany Hotel). Their website (http://www.bnbeach.com/) isn't in English, but you can contact them at bnbeachhotel@daum.net for reservations.
  • The Hilton at Namhae has availability and can be booked through www.hilton.com, but it requires a 30-minute ferry ride in each direction. I contacted the property manager, who told me the ferry should run ~20 times daily in each direction. Hotel Site
  • From what I gather, the MVL hotel is the closest to the Expo itself. The hotel opened just this week and I'm not sure if rooms will be made available for non-VIP guests. Hotel Site
  • This page can help you identify other options for accomodation, but does not actually allow booking from what I can tell.

Posted · Report post

Wow, that does not sound very enticing.

Posted · Report post

It's unfortunate really. I can't imagine many foreigners are going to go out of their way for this when making arrangements has proven so difficult.

To follow up on my previous post, http://www.hotelwide.com/ now seems to have a couple of options in Yeosu.

Posted · Report post

From what i have read the train will take ~3.5 hours from Seoul to the Yeosu-Expo station

There are hotels nearby, but it has been difficult for foreign tourists to make arrangements:

• I managed to reserve a room for 3 nights in July at the B&Beach Hotel (formerly Tiffany Hotel). Their website (http://www.bnbeach.com/) isn't in English, but you can contact them at bnbeachhotel@daum.net for reservations.
  • The Hilton at Namhae has availability and can be booked through www.hilton.com, but it requires a 30-minute ferry ride in each direction. I contacted the property manager, who told me the ferry should run ~20 times daily in each direction. Hotel Site
  • From what I gather, the MVL hotel is the closest to the Expo itself. The hotel opened just this week and I'm not sure if rooms will be made available for non-VIP guests. Hotel Site
  • This page can help you identify other options for accomodation, but does not actually allow booking from what I can tell.

Thanks. The themes sound great, yet I'm still deciding:)

Posted · Report post

I've booked my planes and trains, too. I'll be visiting Daejeon's Expo '93 site on 07 June and then down to Yeosu for Expo 2012 from 08 June to 13 June. It would be great to meet up with other world's fair fans while there.

Posted · Report post

I hope you have a great trip, and look forward to your reports on it.

Posted · Report post

Well after my trip looked as though it had headed southward, it's back on - flights and hotels, but no expo tickets booked.

Will completely miss Bill as my Seoul part of journey is 08 June to 13 June, and then on to Yeosu.

But I hope that means that I'll get to log-on and see Bill's reports somewhere from Seoul :rolleyes:

This will probably be my last expo, so I won't to get everything I can out of it!!

Posted · Report post

Hello All,

I hope to be in yeosu around the last week of July. Anyone else plan on being there around that time?

Posted · Report post

Now that I am here I see that The MVL is very very close to the Expo - looks cool, but also looks expensive.

Hidden Bay is new, between Yeosu and the Yeosu 2012 (where the Expo is) and runs a shuttle bus to the Expo at 7:30 and then 8 more times a day (with a truly excellent driver).

And my guide book mentions: Yeosu Chambord 1054-1 Goghwa-dong (061/662-2011); and Hotel Eastern Jewelry 343 Chungmu-dong (0161/663-2011)