JonasClark

Newcomer - Fountains and water at the fair

Epic pics!

Love the one of the Fountain of the Planets... you can see up close into one of the launchers. The mechanics of the show now make more sense.

Hey Ray, great pics. But it took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong with one of them. Then I finally figured out that the image in the third picture from the right is backwards!

Craig, as usual, I do these things purposely to see if you are on your toes. It's now corrected and shows as the last one in the sequence.

Ray

MORE ODDITIES, SOME MORE ODD THAN OTHERS.

post-4015-0-01386300-1315419817_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-64038800-1315419871_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-40775200-1315419897_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-59627100-1315419957_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-62037300-1315420013_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-40898800-1315420180_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-02071000-1315420226_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-62672800-1315420301_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-52774700-1315420389_thumb.jp

Loving the one of the Belgian Village. You can really get a feel of it's scope.

Odd, though, didn't Moses prohibit the building of traditional architecture pavilions, or is that in 1939?

The third picture reminds me a lot of that German 'dinner table' puppet show mystery photo that's been unsolved on this board for several years.

Where were the marionettes in the first picture located? Maybe at the Continental Circus? Or was that in the Belgian Village as well?

Just a guess, but could the marionette shots be from "Les Poupees de Paris" in the Meadow Lake Amusement area?

PS - Thanks for sharing the photos Ray!

Les Poupees were all puppets (visible strings). These don't appear to have strings, thus I called them marionettes. BUT... it's possible they were 'fixed' like the mannequins at the Pavilion of Paris.

Pictures one and three have the same surrounding background, so they might be from a tableau- a series of scenes.

The other picture I mentioned doesn't have the same surrounding background so it must be from someplace else--- the only clue is handwritten on the slide mount- "German Puppets".

German_Puppets.jpg

Yes, NOT "Les Poupees De Paris". Those Krofft puppets have a very distinctive look.

The Lunar Fountain has openings at the bottom of the dome support, meaning water flows inside as well. This may mean the Solar Fountain's infamous shot showing light shining inside is, indeed, possibly from an open hole in the top where the spray ring and upper white lights went through. That photo of the Lunar Fountain also shows, if you look close at near left, the twinkle lights for the light shields, which are (as I'd seen before in a night shot) on the inner side NEAR the points, not on top of the points as shown in the news article's diagram. Also, there are lights for the arch steams set between the twinkle light ring and the light shields; many photos don't show lights here.

EPCOT Explorer, it's a nice view of the fountain, no? The cluster of vertical pipes in the nearest pod are the same thing as the splayed clusters visible in the centers of the pods to the upper and right of it: big, big water jets. The fireworks launching tubes were lower down, and had a temporary plastic cover snapped onto the top, to keep out water until the charge was fired. All the pods, even the small ones, contained a few water nozzles (as far as I know, the tiniest ones, like the round one shown, had only a single central cluster nozzle), a few light boxes, and a few fireworks tubes.

If anyone has shots (large preferred, but any size) looking down into the pods from above or taken by people standing inside them among the nozzles, they'd be as good as gold!

This may mean the Solar Fountain's infamous shot showing light shining inside is, indeed, possibly from an open hole in the top where the spray ring and upper white lights went through.

Overhead shots of the Solar Fountain confirm this.

However light passing up through the top open hole had a huge amount of water to go through so not much light reached the ball on top. That's why the spotlights were placed out in the pool to point up at the ball and give it some light.

I say that because I remember, years ago on some or other NYWF64 message board, a long argument over exactly where the source was of the light shining on the inner wall of the Solar Fountain's dome. I had not known whether the inside space was wet or dry; if dry, that'd mean the top had a recess for the spray ring, but had only glass lenses for the lights to shine up into the vertical spray. If wet, the top could simply be open, with spray from the ring both running over the dome AND falling down inside, and this larger opening would better explain the big patch of light on the wall.