JonasClark

Newcomer - Fountains and water at the fair

All the Astral Fountain stars did *not* have lights. And not all had water spray nozzles either. But the ones that did were in a regular pattern, attached to the cage. Quite evident in photos.

The info there claims that the four-point (outer) stars also had lights, hidden behind the pyramidal center cap. It's very possible that these were not installed; here's what is shown:

http://www.bretl.com...mages/lb098.jpg

This shot shows a red glow on many of the stars.

Same with the site showing twinkle lights on the tips of the splash shields, which were on the Fountains of the Fair and the Lunar Fountain, as shown here:

http://www.bretl.com...mages/lb096.jpg

Did they disappear, or quit being maintained?

Is there any video footage of the Solar or Lunar Fountains in use at night?

And does anyone have photos of either of the Fountains of Progress? Before my HD crash I had found photos of all of the major fountains except these, and I figure part of the problem was that, perhaps, few visitors (and fewer people today) knew or cared that they had names, so perhaps most of the photos online are just 'fountains at the fair'.

I've got a question and a answer...

Answer: Disney first pioneered their "soundless" launch in 1999 with EPCOT's IllumiNations 2000: Reflections of Earth. It's done through a AFL system, the actual charge is shot out of the launcher with air, and a chip on the actual shell detonates it while it flies. If anyone is familiar with IllumiNations, it's the VERY first comet you see, typically launched from the American Adventure pavilion. It seemingly appears out of mid air, the effect is beautiful.

Is this something akin to what was done at the FOP? Or is Disney bragging about a idea they stole again? wink.gif

As for the question... Anyone know anything about the Aqualons at 1939 WF? Read somewhere that they were fountains with glass tubes that had goldfish swimming in it... How odd! Would love to know more.

And does anyone have photos of either of the Fountains of Progress? Before my HD crash I had found photos of all of the major fountains except these, and I figure part of the problem was that, perhaps, few visitors (and fewer people today) knew or cared that they had names, so perhaps most of the photos online are just 'fountains at the fair'.

I have 18 photos of the Fountain of Progress North, and 27 Photos of the Fountain of Progress South.

Here's the count on other major named Fountains or Pools at this NYWF:

Astral Fountain: 189

Fountain of the Planets: 210 daytime photos, 448 night photos

Pool of Industry (fountains turned off): 153

Fountains of the Fairs: 302 daytime photos, 137 night photos

Lunar Fountain: 145

Pool of Reflections: 86

Pool of the Tricentennial: 5 (the least photographed named pool or fountain at the Fair)

Solar Fountain: 170

Fountain of the Continents / Unisphere: 156 aerial photos, 485 street-level photos (neck and neck with the Fountain of the Planets as most-photographed)

Here are examples of the two you requested.

Fountain of Progress North

26a_Fountain_at_Space_Park.jpg

Fountain of Progress South

088-026_-_Fountain_next_to_General_Motors_Pavilion.jpg

Those are great shots, Randy. Always love just to see atmospheric looks at the fair.

I suppose it's possible that the North fountain had animation. The official description sounds as though it refers to moving nozzles and not varying heights. Moving nozzles are not uncommon today, in forms ranging from simple back-and-forth swaying spray bars to some really amazing robotic nozzles. But I'm not sure on this one. I KNOW the Lagoon of Nations show at the '39 fair had a simple arrangement that moved nozzles, and supposedly the Fountain of the Planets had them; the Magic Fountain in Barcelona is one of the oldest fountains to have articulated moving nozzles, and it has some spectacular examples. Rotating nozzles date to the 1890s or earlier.

The Fountain of Progress South seems to be a static display, similar to its official description; the recessed jets in the center don't form a tiered wedding cake formation, but it looks as though several may be clogged or turned off.

Thank you, Randy, for the first shots I've ever seen of these two. Besides the fountain with the spinning flags, are most pavilion or exhibit fountains assumed to be static displays, not animated or changing?

In all my photos of the North and South fountains, the nozzles look fixed, although there are significant variations in water pressure (the height of the spray).

The Solar Fountain, on the other hand, had nozzles that definitely moved... but the Lunar fountain did not. All of these moving nozzles on the Solar Fountain were located in the pool surrounding the main architectural structure, not on the structure itself.

The Solar Fountain's nozzles are what we call "spinners". They have two sets of nozzles mounted to a head, which is attached to the supply pipe with a ring bearing. One set of nozzles is for the spray effect (three per head, I believe, in this case), while the others aim downward and outward at a sharp angle and provide thrust to spin the head. Are there any anywhere near high resolution photos of the Solar Fountain empty? As far as I know, there were a few types of spinners on the market then, but the narrow conical spray of those doesn't look like any of them.

The spinner effect is one of the mainstays of basic musical fountains, but apparently here it simulated "swirling solar gases"? I wonder if any visitors ever guessed that just by looking at it? I have my doubts.

If the Astral Fountain's added wind sensor, as I suspect, cut the central ring spray's height in half and turned off the star nozzles, judging by photos I'd guess similar set-ups on the Solar and Lunar Fountains turned off the upper column and the parabolic arch jets, respectively.

Are there any anywhere near high resolution photos of the Solar Fountain empty? As far as I know, there were a few types of spinners on the market then, but the narrow conical spray of those doesn't look like any of them.

Not empty, but this might help with some detail to determine the type of spray devices.

65-xx-04b_Solar_Fountain.jpg

I reduced the resolution on this one, but it's a nice picture showing the spray patterns.

NF-_33F_-_Court_of_the_Sun.jpg

Maybe this will help.

65-09-06-03a_Solar_Fountain.jpg

I'm thinking those red circles were lights?

That must have looked lovely at night, the mist all illuminated and glowing.

Much of the time they were completely covered with cascading water, but the lights shown through at night for a very nice effect.

Gotta hunt down vids of that...

Thanks for those detail shots!! It seems the nozzles' rotation may have been relatively slow for spinners, unless they had even more (drive, thrust) nozzles underwater (though if a nozzle does have them, they're supposed to be submerged). They have three narrow jets in an upward cone, and three flat, narrow fans angled outward which may or may not be the thrust nozzles. The one at far right is stuck; that's not uncommon for spinners. Nearly all spinners use metal race bearings and tend to get stuck if filtering isn't fine enough; about the only spinners out there that tend to keep running all the time are those made by Waltzing Waters in the past decade or two, which use Teflon blocks as mating surfaces.

Interesting shot with the maint. door open, you can see light shining in and onto the inner wall, possibly through the spray ring/light opening at the top? The interior might have been water-free, thus the top had a donut-shaped glass plate for the lights to shine up into the top spray, or it may have been open on top and water poured inside as well; I'm betting on the former. I had wondered what the guy is fixing, but look around the nozzle to his left - there are four lights around each spinner, and he must be relamping one, as the positions of the other three would put the 4th in front of him.

Also: That BIG shot shows something I haven't seen in other photos: five lights far out in the pool which, I assume, are aimed at the dome. Were these possibly added later?

Also: That BIG shot shows something I haven't seen in other photos: five lights far out in the pool which, I assume, are aimed at the dome. Were these possibly added later?

The look to me like they are aimed at the spiky ball at the top (and the top of the central jets), and I would guess they were there from the start - but I don't know.

Or perhaps they were defective and got turned off?

Some interesting projection lines.

03a_Solar_Fountain.jpg

The spotlights are there in photos as early as May '64. Don't have any April '64 photos, so can't speak to that.

Seeing that, perhaps they went to high and sprayed people.

But I'm sure these were rocket tube spotlights and not sprayers.

Here is a night photo, and it looks like this particular tube spotlight was aimed for a direct hit on the ball.

64-07-24-02a_Solar_Fountain.jpg

Oy. My fault for reading the boards too close to bedtime..tongue.gif

Anyone have any shots of the Lunar Fountain empty?

Before the Fair opened (pavilion in background still under construction), but the Lunar Fountain looks finished.

Lunar_Under_construction.jpg

Here's an album photos recently discovered, never seen here before. Craig, how is it now? I moved it to the last position.

post-4015-0-62684400-1315312629_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-23935100-1315312675_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-61694800-1315312714_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-78703000-1315312741_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-06281100-1315312812_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-27029800-1315312879_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-77727900-1315312991_thumb.jp

post-4015-0-17162500-1315398945_thumb.jp

Here's an album photos recently discovered, never seen here before.

A couple of notes. Gotta love the tacky signs plastered to the Hawaii Pavilion artfully directed at the grandstand of the Aquacade.

It looks like the Aquacade was taken over by Florida. Is this true? If I'm viewing these photos correctly, the actual Florida pavilion should be to the right of the Aquacade/waterski show yet I see a building wedged between the Hawaii Pavilion and the Aquacade mentioning a Florida exhibit. Can any one clarify?

Yep, the Florida Citrus Water Ski Show.

That "wedge" , if I'm reading you right, is one of the Hawaii "volcano" structures. The Five Volcanoes restaurant.

Hey Ray, great pics. But it took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong with one of them. Then I finally figured out that the image in the third picture from the right is backwards!