2 replies to this topic

#1 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

The Southbank Centre, site of the original festival is currently holding a 60th Aniversary exhibition: http://ticketing.sou...ival-of-britain

I went along, and it was interesting: some original exhibits, including a fascinating map of United Kingdom: such a different industrial landscape, and a surprisingly casual image of orange day parades

And quite a lot of film of the fair.

And it's fre.

#2 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

I went to a meeting of UK expo enthusiasts last year at the Royal Festival Hall- part of the Southbank Centre complex- and they are very enthusiastic about the Festival of Britain (1951). Probably it's the last big one in the UK (they pretty much don't count the one in 2000), and many members were there and visited the exhibition in 1951. The Royal Festival Hall was built for that 1951 Festival of Britain.
We returned later that evening for a performance of the London Philharmonic.

#3 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:32 AM

I went to a meeting of UK expo enthusiasts last year at the Royal Festival Hall- part of the Southbank Centre complex- and they are very enthusiastic about the Festival of Britain (1951). Probably it's the last big one in the UK ..., and many members were there and visited the exhibition in 1951. The Royal Festival Hall was built for that 1951 Festival of Britain.
We returned later that evening for a performance of the London Philharmonic.

I think that you mentioned this before, and with that in mind I was on the lookout for enthusiasts when I visited.

And my OH found one - and by the time I'd scurried around I'd missed him (too much time watching the films). I was so annoyed!

(they pretty much don't count the one in 2000),

Re the 2000 one ('The Dome') - it was strange. I visited it - twice, I did enjoy it, I hadn't expected to be able to see anything by Jan Turrell in real life. But it was the same year as my first visit to a 'real' expo - in Hannover and The Dome really didn't bear comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users