Randy Treadway

Shot from a Gun

Hey folks, I just got an album of photo prints from the World's Fair, and it has some great photos of indoor activities at pavilions, which (once I get them scanned) I will need some help identifying.

But in the meantime, two outdoor photos caught my eye, that I don't recall seeing before or even discussed here on PTU.

On one of the photos I think I spot some monorail tracks in the background, so I presume this was in the Lake Amusement area.

But in the first photo, there's this pretty girl sitting in the 'business end' of a big cannon barrel. She's wearing a white jumpsuit, and on it you can make out the letters 'Puff....' (just the first line can be seen). To her left is a big suspended banner with the Quaker Oats logo, a picture of a Puffed Rice cereal box, and a diagonal logo 'Shot from Guns'. That was their advertising motto at that time.

The second photo is a great feat of shutter timing- it captures her the instant she comes flying out of the barrel of the big cannon, accompanied by smoke. She's wearing a helmet- no wait a minute that's a white scullcap which she was holding in her hand in the first photo- and the white jumpsuit.

There's a crowd of people watching in both photos.

The picture doesn't reveal where she's headed- just that she's screaming out of that barrel like a human bullet.

So...I guess she must have been the 'Puffed Rice' girl or something, and they were determined to shoot HER from a gun!!!

Do any of you remember a Puffed Rice cannon and a Puffed Rice girl at the Fair?

Randy

Check this thread, Randy:

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000104.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000104.html</a>

Maybe what's in these pictures and that I described is the answer to Hoodlock's riddle 3 years ago.

I suppose the cannon could have been the 30 feet tall clue.

The giant cannon "shot from a gun" demonstration was a regular performance done several times a day directly in front of the Aquacade (Florida in '65) building. Large signs advertised when the next "shooting" would take place. The gun was on the left side of the Aquacade, the net on the right and an announcer in the middle. It was not a pavilion but a free open-air show that brought a lot of attention to Quaker Oats ( I know something about Oats). I can't recall if it was performed during both fair seasons though.

The Cannonballs are one of my prior to PTU memories of the fair.

<a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000314.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000314.html</a>

Hoodlock was kind enough, in the above thread, to point out the origin of my memory. This thread lead me to conclusively link my visit to the fair to happening in 1965.

If you can, Randy, pleas post a photo of that cannon shot!

[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 01-29-2004).]

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rose:

This thread lead me to conclusively link my visit to the fair to happening in 1965.

If you can, Randy, pleas post a photo of that cannon shot!

<HR></blockquote>

Will do. Last night I pulled one of the two prints out of the album (those 'magnetic' pages) to see if there was anything written on the back, and indeed the month/year was printed by the developer- AUG 65.

Don't know if that reinforces your memory further, since it doesn't necessarily say that the cannon wasn't there in '64, but a little context nonetheless.

By the way, I had said that wording, picture, etc were on a banner on the side.

I looked at it closer last night with a magnifying glass. Now I don't think it's a banner after all-

what I thought at quick glance was a guy rope tying down the bottom of the 'banner' actually was a cable with a tightening connector which crossed in front of the white panel with the wording and goes off to the left of the picture. My guess now is that this cable held in place the 'net' which this gal was being shot into (we hope!)

-Also at the bottom of the white panel with the picture and wording, there appears to be a door, with a lady coming out the door! So maybe this Quaker Oats show included some kind of walk-into-and-look-at-stuff kind of exhibit after all, and not just the cannon firing show.

When I scan it at high rez maybe it'll reveal more clues...

I see now, in the thread to which Rose referred, that Bruce described the Quaker exhibit as the 'Quaker Oats House' which didn't open until June '65- thus the door that I observe in the picture is consistent with a 'house'.

Also I would surmise that the lady I see in the two pictures is Nancy Zacchini, who Bruce says was the 'shootee' along with her husband.

Alright Bill Cotter, we're ready to see photos of the inside of the Quaker Oats House! What did they do in there, give away those little box samples of cereals? biggrin.gif

I'm trying to activate those long dormant memory cells, Randy.

I remember clearly watching the person (I don't recall whether the person was male or female) shot out of the cannon. A large crowd had gathered. My father gave my sister and I turns on his shoulders so that we could see what was going on. (I recall that my sister had the first turn "up".) I don't recall a pre-cannon blast demonstration, but that could be due either to fading memory or the fact that we may have approached the area after the demonstration occurred.

Due to the Cannonballs; I do believe my family visited the fair in 1965. I can't say for certain what month we visited the fair, but I do know that it had to be between June and September. My Dad worked as a School Custodian and he couldn't take any time off during the regular school semester. I, personally suspect that the month of our visit was July or August. My father often took his vacations in July or August.

I'm very much looking forward to that photo! Thank you!

This exhibit was in front of the Aquacade on the median across from Chung King, the net was across from Carousel Park.

The first account of this event was on June 8, 1965 and took place four times a day.

Judging by the photo, they must have been giving something away. I remember small foil packets of their products, which we (my friends and I) did not care for.

I talked about the structure before and I was right about the door on the side.

The canon was behind the crowd depicted in the photo and the net was to the right of the photo.

Mike I believe that this has to be among the rarest of photos

That's it! Same 'box' that is to the left of the gun in my picture, with the door at the bottom.

I'll try to get the pictures scanned and posted tonight.

Randy

I thought about posting this as a 'Humor Photo Sequence of the Day', but changed my mind and decided it to add it here for continuity sake.

This photographer tried to duplicate the picture above by capturing the 'human cannonball' as she got blasted out of the cannon barrel.

He captured smoke all right, but where is the flying human canonball?

65-09-37-17_Quaker_Oats_Cannon.jpg

....the very next picture on the roll of film might be a clue.....

65-09-37-14_Florida_Pavilion.jpg

P.S>-

Mike, I had backed up your photo above showing the Quaker building, and was able to load it to my server and re-link it in your thread, since your old link was broken.

It was at the AMF Monorail in 1965. I'm busy deleting spam and have to run out, but remind me later and I can post some pictures (unless Randy does first!)

Swamped at work right now, but will post some 007 car pics later in the week, if Bill doesn't beat me to it first.

.....got some new slides of the Bond car exhibit at the Fair recently, but haven't digitized them yet.

It says on the picture info that the cannon artist was Nancy Zacchini. There is a Zacchini cannon

on display at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida. The Zacchini's were with Ringling, so I wonder if the Zacchini Cannon was used in 64 with Continental Circus, and when the Circus disappeared in 65, Quaker offered sponsorship to get Zacchini to stay at the Fair and plug their cereal. Anyone know if Zacchini was in the Continental Circus?

Anyone know if Zacchini was in the Continental Circus?

I believe Bill C. and I are the only PTU'ers who witnessed the Continental Circus. In addition, I know of no other eyewitnesses here to the Quaker cannon besides myself. The Continental Circus was a small one-ring circus. The Zacchini family members would have gone through the roof if shot from within the circus tent, no Zacchini shot from a cannon here. There was a trapeze act at the Continental Circus, whether or not they are the Zacchini family, I don’t know, I am sure Randy T will find out.

Earlier in this topic there is a link to a Youtube video of the Quaker Oaks Human Cannonball act at the World's Fair. There is also footage shot from the monorail, passing over the cannon.

So you can all see what it looked like in person, even if you weren't there. The footage shows the net where the human cannonball lady landed.

Come to think of it, the human cannonball lady probably needed some AFLAC insurance, so if she got hurt and missed work, it wouldn't hurt to miss work. If she didn't have it, that's why she needed it.

Yogi would be pleased.