cdfisher

World's Fair 78 RPM Souvenir Recording

I have a couple of 78s with a '39-'40 Worlds Fair label with the title of the music on the records pencilled in. I believe that there must have been an exhibit where people could request a copy of a some music and a

machine that produced a record for them while they waited. Is anybody familiar with such an exhibit, and does anybody know if these records have any value? Thanks.

After some web research, its seems that this was a recorded live at the Fair, in some type of recording booth setup. I've played it on my record player (with my 78 stylus) and it's some unknown soprano with a piano accompaniment. She didn't write in her name, but wrote in the song title and writer instead. A comparable, but worse quality record was sold on ebay for @ $25. Recording booths of this type were not uncommon, and my guess is that RCA Victor was using the World's Fair to spotlight it's new home recording system that it had just released in 1940. It appears that these records are very rare. I'll be selling them on ebay soon. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

It's also possible that this is an audio recording of an RCA televison broadcast.