Randy Treadway

A Kodak Moment

Ever wonder how so many Fair visitors were able to align this identical perfect photo- with the two dinosaurs, the waterfall, and the Sinclair sign? (assuming they waited to snap the picture as the rotating sign swung into view)

Sinclair_Photo_1.jpg

It's because this vantage point was one of the designated Kodak Photo opportunity locations (the yellow metal flag sign and white explanation sign explained it to visitors).

Sinclair_Photo_2.jpg

Did any of us ever discover a map of all the Kodak Photo locations in the fairgrounds?

There's a project for Mr. Cotter! It would be fascinating to have a Kodak map on line and then have the photos taken from those spots pop up.

Was there one for the 1964 NYWF in brochure form? I've seen ones for Hemisfair & Expo '74.

Also might Kodak picture taking guides have been run in monthly magazines?

I seem to remember having, or seeing, something like that.

To the archives! (Be back in a year...)

that's interesting - when Kodak sponsored spots at Disneyland, they were printed on the Disneyland map brochures. The equivalent would have been showing them on the official World's Fair maps, but I don't recall any being there. It would be great if there was a Kodak map, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

I checked my Kodak file. Their 'Picturetaking at the Fair' brochure explains the yellow signs, but does not include a map showing where they were located.

We might have to make our own map. Kevin (resident mapmaker), are you game? :)

We might have to make our own map. Kevin (resident mapmaker), are you game? :)

Sure, I’d be up for marking the locations on a map - but finding all of these things will be an arduous task to say the least!

I think I’ve only seen one really good photo of one of the Kodak picture spots, and that was on the “Gorillas Don’t Blog” blog a few years back...

9-65NYWFzulus.jpg

© Major Pepperidge/gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com

I’ve also seen a few little “photo platforms” on the Kodak Pavilion roof where visitors could rest their cameras for the “perfect shot”...

post-387-0-13617800-1309212234_thumb.jpg post-387-0-57238500-1309212241_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – NYWF CD 17, Set 88, Image 41

post-387-0-42015100-1309212279_thumb.jpg post-387-0-61571000-1309212286_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – NYWF CD 27, Set 149, Image 14

post-387-0-43560900-1309212323_thumb.jpg post-387-0-24420700-1309212332_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – NYWF CD 33, Set 172, Image 13

And this little display sign that instructed visitors to “SHOOT A TITLE FOR YOUR WORLD’S FAIR SNAPSHOTS, SLIDES OR MOVIES”

post-387-0-41173900-1309212360_thumb.jpg post-387-0-42992300-1309212368_thumb.jpg

© University of Central Florida

Beyond those locations, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look... 2 down, 38 to go!

First time I'd seen that 'instruction board' for the title panel. I'd seen the title panel itself in two or three shots though.

Okay, I think I found another one near the Kodak Pavilion at the intersection of the Avenue of Commerce and the Avenue of Africa – which gives us a grand total of six!

post-387-0-67239900-1309385599_thumb.jpg post-387-0-05213200-1309385610_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter - worldsfairphotos.com – Set 353, Image 11

Here they all are plotted on a copy of the Esso map:

post-387-0-38816100-1309385635_thumb.jpg

I’ll update the map as we find more of them...

Kevin

Here's another one for you, Kevin.

It's nice to know that Kodak was still giving advice on camera angles during the demolition...

Thanks Bill - that's 7...

And this one near Thailand makes 8:

post-387-0-55280400-1309453307_thumb.jpg

© Bill Cotter – worldsfairphotos.com – Set 356, Image 7

It also explains why there are so many photos of the Thailand Pavilion from this angle!

Here's a revised map:

post-387-0-73075800-1309453321_thumb.jpg

Kevin

This is turning out to be quite fun!

Thanks Kevin & Bill & Randy for your talents. smile.gif

Now, you don't even need to bring the camera:

"Built by Fish Technologies, Great Wolf Connect uses the RFID technology imbedded in the waterpark's wristbands, which also serve as guests' room keys and in-house charge accounts. After check-in, guests can register their wristband at the Great Wolf Connect kiosks and link it directly to their Facebook account. Then, at five Paw Posts located throughout the resort, guests simply scan their wristband and smile for the digital camera at each spot. That photo - or a general photo of each attraction - and a caption are then automatically posted on the guests' Facebook wall."

This is at Grand Mound indoor waterpark, where visitors don't ordinarilly schlep cameras.

Here is number 10. We're a quarter of the way there! :)

This one had a nice angle on both the Belgian Village entrance, and (swiveling around) the front facade of the Hall of Free Enterprise.

64-09-47-02_Belgian_Village.jpg

There is nothing Mr. Yadda can't map! Nothing!

Thanks Mike - any luck with your archives search?

Great work Randy! Here's a revised map with the new locations added:

post-387-0-65570600-1309541175_thumb.jpg

Kevin

64-08-23-33_Picture_Spot.jpg

I had presumed that this was somewhere along Meditation Walk (in the Garden of Meditation), but I can't find it any other photos of the Garden area.