4 replies to this topic

#1 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Enjoy, He talks about expo 2010 at about 7 1/2 minutes into it, but it's all interesting

http://www.ted.com/t...eatherwick.html

#2 xl5er

xl5er

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks. Those TED lectures are fantastic.

#3 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for posting this, Gary. Walking into that Pavilion is something I will never forget.

#4 gary h

gary h

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Yes, the TED lectures are great. It's the rare one that doesn't engage me. And the U.K. pavilion was a top experience for me, as well. It was truly something not only to see, but experience.

#5 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

It's interesting, I had the opportunity to meet with Thomas Heatherwick, designer of the UK pavilion, in his London studio in 2009. The design that was built in Shanghai was actually a revised version of his original design. I am pretty sure that the UK government scaled back the budget a bit after the global economic slowdown in 2008/2009. And, I would need to go back and check the documents that I got in that meeting to be sure, but I believe that in the first version of the design there were supposed to be LED light sources attached to the rods where they connected to the superstructure. This would allow the interior and exterior of the building to act as a three dimensional projection surface.
We interviewed Thomas, and there will be portions of his interview included in the documentary that we are currently working on completing.

Thanks,
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users