xl5er

RCA Television Explained

This might have been posted before but it was featured in today's Pulse news aggregator along with other interesting "How To" films like, how to dial a rotary phone, and how to use a typewriter:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1753212/ye-olde-how-to-videos-how-to-dial-a-telephone-and-more?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fast+Company+Headlines%29

"Early promotional film introducing TV to the American public, probably coordinated with the rollout of scheduled broadcasting at the 1939 New York World's Fair."

Related, lots of WF memorabilia... including bus models!

Grandpa's 1939 television museum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfgYN5l6rpc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hi X :)

I find that RCA bit a bit misleading I think. For example, and albeit to a limited audience, television was being broadcast as early as 1928 . After trials of regular programming in 1931-1933 on W2XAB in New York and more in California and so on, regular scheduled programming began in New York April of 1938 - a year before the opening ceremonies many cite as the start of regular programming. But there had been regular if short broadcasts, again, to a small audience, since 1928 in NY including the first live play broadcast in September of that year to a small audience and that was not RCA but General Electric. Indeed, television was displayed at every exhibition since 1925. I am sure Molasses can correct my post!

Best wishes and thanks for the nest films!

Eric

In my search for my lost youth I was watching the 3 stooges this morning and I discovered an interesting tid bit in one episode.In A-Plumbing we will go (1940) the stooges connect the wires to the plumbing.The guests at a party are watching a television set with what appears to be a 15 inch square screen.They are watching a live shot from Niagara falls for about 10 seconds until the screen bursts and water from the pipes comes through and soaks everyone.I`m surprised that the screen was so large in 1940.I wonder if the 1939 fair from the west coast featured T.V. since this episode was most likely shot in Hollywood.

Yes television was demonstrated at both 1939 World's Fairs, although RCA used the one in New York to showcase their own equipment.

California's first remote TV broadcast was in 1939 from the Golden Gate Exposition, and was hosted by Bill Brundage.

Here is an operating radio station studio (including transmitter equipment) at the Golden Gate Expo.

W6XBE_0101.jpg

Hi Randy,

That is a really neat photo - love the "zig-zag" lines. I have been reading a bit about this development of TV. Lots on interesting stuff. When I say "limited audience" I was not kidding. It seems even in 1936 there were only about 2000 sets worldwide. On the other hand there are many small developments in these years and before that really show much innovation and "things to come" with commercials Like now) and weddings (like now, yuk) being broadcast....I recall in The Phantom Creeps (1944?)...nope - in the Ape Man, Lugosi had a closed circuit television security system. But there was Murder by television which was filmed in 1935 and that had some early TV in it as well if not exactly reel - uh - real - but the word must have been in somewhat common usage to be a movie title I guess. It seems by 1928 there were 10,000 sets in the UK alone if that is accurate. Interesting stuffs!

Best,

Eric

In my search for my lost youth I was watching the 3 stooges this morning and I discovered an interesting tid bit in one episode.In A-Plumbing we will go (1940) the stooges connect the wires to the plumbing.The guests at a party are watching a television set with what appears to be a 15 inch square screen.They are watching a live shot from Niagara falls for about 10 seconds until the screen bursts and water from the pipes comes through and soaks everyone.I`m surprised that the screen was so large in 1940.I wonder if the 1939 fair from the west coast featured T.V. since this episode was most likely shot in Hollywood.

Can't say if that "TV" was based on an actual TV set. The picture of Niagara Falls is most dfinitely a film special effect and not a TV picture of any kind.

Here is a page on an RCA projection set introduced in 1941:

RCA 1941 projection TV

Thanks Randy and Wayne for the response.The bottom screen on Waynes attachment looks like the screen used in the short I was watching

By the way, I believe the "X" in the call letters stood for "experimental."

W6XBE was an international shortwave station, beaming programming to the entire Pacific and South American regions.

The GE transmitter was used to send MacArthur's 'I Shall Return' speech to the Japanese-held Philippine Islands during World War II.

On the subject of early television broadcasts pre-1939, Richard Brewster who lives in Cutchogue, Long Island has a huge collection of old televisions. There was a special about him on News 12 Long Island recently that showed how he built a television camera identical to one used by the "Original Television Girl," Natalie Towers, who appeared on CBS station W2XAB in 1931. The actress would sit in front of the camera as a large disc with tiny pinpoint holes rotated, allowing arcs of light to filter through. The disc on the camera and a similar disc on the receiver had to be synchronized to create the picture, it was quite fascinating to watch how it worked!

Brewster interviewed Natalie Towers several years ago, you can read the interview in Antique Wireless on-line at: www.antiquewireless.org/otb/tv1004.htm

I'm not trying to play moderator :( I am not popular as it is. I want to protect our own and anyone else. Theft and scams are increasing I see it. I experience it. Sorry but I felt it was very important!

Eric

CATHY,

REMOVE THAT MANS PHONE NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ERIC

Eric, I did remove the number. However, since News 12 has the number posted on their website, and Brewster also has his full address and phone number listed on several other public sites on the Internet, I didn't think it was that much of an issue. If anyone wants to find it, it's not too hard.

I'm sorry if I over reacted. :(

Eric

Don't apologize, I think you made a good point. Even if this guy does have his number listed on other Internet sites, I wouldn't want to be the one whose posting might cause the wrong party to see it. :o As you pointed out, we all need to watch our backs these days and I'm glad you're watching all of ours who post here!

Don't apologize, I think you made a good point. Even if this guy does have his number listed on other Internet sites, I wouldn't want to be the one whose posting might cause the wrong party to see it. :o As you pointed out, we all need to watch our backs these days and I'm glad you're watching all of ours who post here!

Thanks CathyS :) I reacted like that because, apart from what you said above which was my concern, on the other boards I frequent that would be cause for immediate banishment w/o question or redress.

Best,

Eric

Now that we got the issue of the telephone number straightened out, I've edited my first posting and I'm re-posting the part about television at the 1939 Fair so that the forum can get back on topic and the interesting info about the 1939 Fair doesn't get overlooked because of my mistake....

The 1939 Fair had a number of television "firsts." I know the first televised Beauty Contest has been discussed in this forum, but I'm finding references to other television firsts in the World's Fair Daily Papers. I'm not sure how accurate these references were since we all know about media hype these days, but for what it's worth, here's a couple of tidbits I found interesting:

August 2, 1939: Frank Buck's elephants were the first pachyderms ever to be televised. When Miss Television (Muriel Robert) interviewed Frank Buck at the R.C.A. exhibit, he brought them along with him, and everyone made a gala occasion of it.

September 9, 1939: Television Picks Up Football Scrimmage at World's Fair

Television enters the football domain this afternoon when the Brooklyn Dodgers will hold a one hour practice session, beginning at 2:30 P.M. at the Field of Special Events. R.C.A. will have one of their mobile television units on hand to cover the event, and it will be broadcast throughout the metropolitan area over Station W2XBS.

October 28, 1939: Aviatrix Comes to the Fair

Elvy Kalep, first woman flyer of Estonia, is visiting the Fair today to speak at the National Women's Party Luncheon. Later she will be televised at the R.C.A. Exhibit when she will introduce her newly created Air Babies to the American Public.

The way I see it, the Kalep broadcast had two firsts: The first QVC/Home Shopping broadcast, and the first author plugging her book on television! :D

I was curious what the 'newly created Air Babies' was. :unsure:

Her TV appearance at the World's Fair was indeed a book promotion. She'd written a children's book in 1936.

31GhP-JxDSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was curious what the 'newly created Air Babies' was. :unsure:

Her TV appearance at the World's Fair was indeed a book promotion. She'd written a children's book in 1936.

31GhP-JxDSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sorry Randy...it seems I put too much information in one posting and not enough in the other. I don't think I'll try posting on Mondays again! :P

But Bill might find it interesting that the piece about Kalep's tv appearance predicted her Air Babies would become better known than Mickey Mouse in a few years.

That's a great link. I like the "spare tube inventory!" I remember going to maybe Abraham and Strauss to buy replacement tubes for our radio or tv. You had to match the complex pin arrangements. 

IMG_1105.JPG

Today in 1939 –NBC begins regularly scheduled TV service in NYC, broadcasting President FDR's NY World's Fair opening day ceremonial address.

In an unrelated incident 6 years later this day in 1945, Hitler and Eva Braun commit suicide after less than 40 hours of marriage. 

And I just found out today is National Bugs Bunny Day. He made his first appearance this day in 1938. Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat!

#NationalBugsBunnyDay

• Like 1

George Washington was inaugurated on April 30, 1789, in NYC.  That 150th anniversary had been the initial purpose for a 1939 fair.

Lou Gehrig played his final Yankee game on April 30, 1939 at the same time FDR was speaking at the Fair.

On April 30, 1967, Expo's attendance passed the one million mark on the exposition's third day.

4 hours ago, xl5er said:

And I just found out today is National Bugs Bunny Day. He made his first appearance this day in 1938. Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat!

#NationalBugsBunnyDay

He shoulda toined left at Albukoikee.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim said:

George Washington was inaugurated on April 30, 1789, in NYC.  That 150th anniversary had been the initial purpose for a 1939 fair.

I was not aware of that! If he's not careful a guy could learn something around here.

April 30. Big day, huh!