nywf64.com

A New Legacy Discovery shared at nywf64.com

In April I got an email from "Adam" who wrote, "The Socony Mobil building is now in Poughkeepsie, NY. I forget who owns it but it's leased partly by the county and partly by the state and (after interior remodeling) used as offices, meeting spaces, and classrooms. The overhanging V-shaped roof is still a prominent feature. I [used to work there], which was where I heard about the building being a relic of the World's Fair."

Adam sent me this photo of the building in Poughkeepsie:

legacy57.jpg

Because of the nature of the use of the building, Adam was reluctant to give me the address. He did say that it was located on the northeast side of Poughkeepsie. I shared this information with Gary Holmes who, after some sleuthing, thinks he may have discovered the location. Gary shared this Google aerial with me:

legacy58.jpg

The angle of the photo that Adam sent makes the building appear to be smaller than the Mobil pavilion at the Fair. And, as is the nature of saved "pavilions," the exterior has been changed greatly. Gary's aerial seems to fit the footprint of the pavilion quite well though. Below is an aerial of the Fair showing the Mobil and Greyhound pavilions. The size seems to be about the same and even the placement of the airconditioning units seems to be the same. Note the "groove" down the center of the roof that makes the point in the "V" on both photos. In fact, from the air, the buildings look identical.

legacy59.jpg

Obviously, the pavilion has been changed quite a bit to be adapted to its use as office space. But it looks to me like Adam may have come across a bonafide relic pavilion from the Fair that has been unknown until today. Out of respect to Adam, I won't reveal the exact location in Poughkeepsie. You are on your own to do some sleuthing.

Artist's rendering of Mobil at the Fair:

socmobil01.jpg

Thanks Bill and Randy and Adam (and Bill Cotter). If this can show up after 10 years of internet investigation of World's Fair legacies, my anticipation of finding more has just been renewed! Great stuff!

In April I got an email from "Adam" who wrote, "The Socony Mobil building is now in Poughkeepsie, NY. I forget who owns it but it's leased partly by the county and partly by the state and (after interior remodeling) used as offices, meeting spaces, and classrooms. The overhanging V-shaped roof is still a prominent feature. I [used to work there], which was where I heard about the building being a relic of the World's Fair."

Adam sent me this photo of the building in Poughkeepsie:

legacy57.jpg

Because of the nature of the use of the building, Adam was reluctant to give me the address. He did say that it was located on the northeast side of Poughkeepsie. I shared this information with Gary Holmes who, after some sleuthing, thinks he may have discovered the location. Gary shared this Google aerial with me:

legacy58.jpg

The angle of the photo that Adam sent makes the building appear to be smaller than the Mobil pavilion at the Fair. And, as is the nature of saved "pavilions," the exterior has been changed greatly. Gary's aerial seems to fit the footprint of the pavilion quite well though. Below is an aerial of the Fair showing the Mobil and Greyhound pavilions. The size seems to be about the same and even the placement of the airconditioning units seems to be the same. Note the "groove" down the center of the roof that makes the point in the "V" on both photos. In fact, from the air, the buildings look identical.

legacy59.jpg

Obviously, the pavilion has been changed quite a bit to be adapted to its use as office space. But it looks to me like Adam may have come across a bonafide relic pavilion from the Fair that has been unknown until today. Out of respect to Adam, I won't reveal the exact location in Poughkeepsie. You are on your own to do some sleuthing.

Artist's rendering of Mobil at the Fair:

socmobil01.jpg

Dosent the "V" line look very different from the fair ,to what it looks like now?

Roofline and footprint look the same to me. No need for speculation, tho - just a trip to the archives of the building permit/zoning depts of the city of Poughkeepsie. Or maybe the current owner of the site has info.

Can anybody read the name of the buyer or the street number in this newspaper article on nywf64.com ?

bridgeport-post-10-16-65.jpg

It's a Furniture company on East State Street in Westport, specializing in Danish furniture.

....continuing on, looks like the name was Laerkesen

li-press-10-16-65-denmark.jpg

Neil Shapiro posted this 'hint' about the Denmark Pavilion 10 years ago on this board:

Hi --

I hesitate to post a third-party phone number on a public board but you can get it from 411 information. If you ask for Westport you need to be lucky enough, as I was, to find an opereator who will look in surrounding areas as the listing is in Norwalk, CT. That should get you going but you'll probably find what I did that the number rings and is never picked up. Good luck!

The rest of that topic is here:

Here's an aerial from 1964, and a few present-day shots for comparison...

post-387-0-95691400-1305134226_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-78212100-1305134253_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-42666400-1305134263_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-01965700-1305134286_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-80796100-1305134300_thumb.jpg

The roofline looks like a pretty good match to me - excellent find "Adam"!

Craig, that list is a great discovery. I'm assuming you found that in the NYWF archives at the NY Public Library? We know that some of those entries did not happen. It's been confirmed that the West Virginia pavilion never made it back to West Virginia because of the expense involved. Manhattanville College may have gotten the stones, but Gary Holmes has scoured that campus and they are no where to be found as a wall, however, there are some decorative stones scattered about the campus that look like they may have come from the walls of the Japanese pavilion. The Parker Pen pavilion ended up in Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. Gary has also looked for the Danish Pavilion in Bridgeport, CT and he can't find it there -- at least not on the road that it is mentioned as being relocated to.

It did come from the NYWF archives at the NY Public Library. It is only a snapshot of what the Fair Corporation knew as of 2-16-66. The file I found it in did not have any other lists dated prior to or after this one. I thought you would all find it as interesting as I did, which is why I had it copied.

Hi, was in Poughkeepsie Thanksgiving Day and took these pictures. The building is nondescript and in a quasi industrial neighborhood. I did not see any signs that ID'd the building's former use.

I tried to take pictures of the roof part. Right behind the building is a huge industrial property surrounded by a chain link fence, so a shot from the back was not possible.

post-63-0-68167400-1322586857_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-20412400-1322586929_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-18097000-1322587134_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-03387600-1322587218_thumb.jpg