How I ever missed this one on YouTube I'll never know. Gorgeous!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adkIYRKJO5c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OikjpA-0ex0&NR=1

The color in those films is terrific.I always thought that it wasn`t until the late 30`s that color films first appeared.By the way the second short shows they don`t make cars like they used to.

LOLz He's a bit too declarative, don't ya think?! laugh.gif

I haven't seen any other color footage from the Century of Progress Exposition either. But I have seen color from as early as 1934, but primarily German- Agfa was coming out with their color processing in the '33-34 time frame.

Thanks for the responses!

I recently purchased a random 16mm reel and upon rough inspection it appears to be Kodachrome of the active Chicago Exposition 1933-34. So my thinking is that it could be prototype Kodachrome from 1934.

I am going to start researching this in more detail but this forum seemed like a great place to start. Although I am not ready to post the footage online I am reaching out to interested individuals and organizations. If anyone has expertise or any recommendations of people/resources/archival to contact about Chicago 1933-34 please let me know.

Great forum and site!

Great stuff!! I love that dragon ride. I figure this must have been the 1933 edition of the Fair because there is no mention of a Ford pavilion. The Chrysler pavilion is truly impressive--the "Temple of Champions."

I'm reading "The Dawn of Technicolor" by James Layton & David Pierce and it provides some information about the Technicolor "World's Fair" short by Wilding Picture Productions for Chrysler. It was the first live action short filmed in three strip Technicolor, shot during the last two weeks of the Fair's 1933 season. Presented in theaters starting in April 1934. A black and white version (same footage sans color) was put out as presented by Plymouth. Other research shows the b/w test track footage was originally tinted yellow.

Fascinating book if you like that sort of thing-and I do. It's about the two color Technicolor process. Lists all the specs, lots of technical stuff, what film survives, what archive holds the elements, etc. Not a picture book. I got a copy via interlibrary loan through my local library.