9 replies to this topic

#1 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

As I type this, it's still 30 April in most of the world, but in parts of the world, they're already seeing a new Google doodle celebrating the 160th anniversary of the first world's fair:
http://www.google.com.au/

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,671 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Very nice!

Be sure to hover over it to see the animation!

#3 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Pretty cool! I took a screen cap just so we could keep a lasting record here in this thread.

Attached File  Google.jpg   143.33KB   63 downloads

#4 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Pretty cool! I took a screen cap just so we could keep a lasting record here in this thread.

Attached File  Google.jpg   143.33KB   63 downloads

I'm soooo glad that you did! I've been away for the weekend (visiting the site of an old World's Fair) and with no computer access I would have missed it completely.Thank you.

#5 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Which site did you visit, wf?

#6 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Which site did you visit, wf?

Hi Pacific Coaster,

I went to Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow, site of 3 fairs: International Exhibition 1888, Scottish_Exhibition_of_National_History,_Art_and_Industry and Glasgow International Exhibition 1901

Not necessarily world's fair, in the more precise usage in this forum. But I count anything listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world's_fairs and subclass (expo, colonial, regional, national) in my thinking; and they seemed interesting enough, along with everything else Glasgow seemed to offer to be worth the trip

They're interesting as they actually made money, which seems a bit unlikely to happen agaion anytime soon. And there was quite a bit of information about 2 of the fairs in Kelvingrove Museum which is in the same park as the fairs.

wf

PS I obviously haven't sourced alerts yet I've only just(!) read your question :-( Sorry

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

The 1938 Empire Exhibition was in Glasgow too, but in Bellahouston Park instead of Kelvingrove Park.
There is an interesting then-and-now slideshow here
http://www.empireexh...1/then&now.html
It proceeds very slow, so have to be patient.

#8 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

The 1938 Empire Exhibition was in Glasgow too, but in Bellahouston Park instead of Kelvingrove Park.
There is an interesting then-and-now slideshow here
http://www.empireexh...1/then&now.html
It proceeds very slow, so have to be patient.

Thanks Randy. The 3D image in your slide show has an Empire Tower standing proud, and it was interesting when visiting Glasgow how many references I discovered to it having been the second city in the Empire (not the only city to describe itself as such), which I guess fits with it hosting an Empire Exhibition.

#9 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Yes, there was quite a bit of merit to Glasglow's claim to being the industrial capital of the UK, while London was the financial and governmental capital.

#10 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

The interactive 3D map of the 1938 Empire Exhibition is fun. Thanks for posting the link. It looks like it was a pretty impressive event even if it wasn't a true world's fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users