Sign in to follow this  

I spent last weekend in Seattle and had a brief opportunity to stop by the Space Needle. Here's a few pix that I took (and were taken of me!) enjoying the view on an unbelievably beautiful day. You can see the Key Arena (former Washington State Pavilion) as well as the Federal Science Pavilion and International Fountain. I also included a couple of shots of the massive bolts which have secured the mighty Needle to the ground for all these years. It's a wonderfully iconic structure that has been extremely well maintained in the five decades that have passed since the Century 21 Expo. Every permanent World's Fair and Expo pavilion should be treated this way.

post-585-0-81923900-1304046492_thumb.jpg

You're lucky, Wayne. When I was there in January it was cold and wet. No surprises there, but the view wasn't as wonderful as yours. It's a great place, isn't it?

Is all of Fun Forest gone now?

Besides the Jetsonian beauty of the structure, and that it's a World's Fair Theme Center, my favorite factoid about the Space Needle is that it's center of gravity is just 5 feet above the ground! Love that.

Sorry, for some reason I thought Wayne had posted it. I had too many open windows - and too little sleep these days.

Off to hide in shame...