9 replies to this topic

#1 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

I've created a web site to help track the various bids and possible bids for future world's fairs:
http://www.ExpoBids.com/

As of now, Izmir, Turkey and Ayutthaya, Thailand seem like the most developed bids. I've heard rumors that Izmir will bid on 01 May 2011, which would start the 6-month clock to bid... ending in October.

I think there's a good chance that either Houston or Silicon Valley will be selected by the United States as their bid.

If I had to bet, I think there's at least one other city out there in the world that isn't on the radar right now that could put in a bid for 2020.

#2 memorabilia

memorabilia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

I've created a web site to help track the various bids and possible bids for future world's fairs:

As of now, Izmir, Turkey and Ayutthaya, Thailand seem like the most developed bids. I've heard rumors that Izmir will bid on 01 May 2011, which would start the 6-month clock to bid... ending in October.

I think there's a good chance that either Houston or Silicon Valley will be selected by the United States as their bid.

If I had to bet, I think there's at least one other city out there in the world that isn't on the radar right now that could put in a bid for 2020.

Great websites.

Is there anywhere we could find the bidding procedure and details of the documents a city & a country have to provide to the BIE ?

#3 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

I just viewed your YouTube page: where you mention MountainView. That's interesting to me, as my employer merged a few years ago with a company with a site there. (They were one of the sponsors the UK pavilion in Shanghai, so maybe they would for this also.)

#4 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Ekaterinburg, new candidate for World Expo 2020

Posted Image
General Secretary or the BIE, Vicente Gonzalez Loscertalez and H.E.M Alexander Orlov.

The Russian Federation confirms the candidature of Ekaterinburg for the World Expo 2020 on October 28, 2011.

The Ambassador of the Russian Federation, H.E.M. Alexander Orlov, submitted the official letter of candidature signed by Vladimir Putin, President of the Government of the Russian Federation, to the Bureau International des Expositions for the city of Yekaterinburg in the theme of "the Global Mind."

The city proposed the exhibition to be held from May 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020.

Yekaterinburg is a large industrial, scientific and cultural center of Russia with advanced transport and social infrastructure. It is the third biggest transport hub in Russia after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

The city situated on the crossroads of 6 federal highways and 7 main railway lines. Moreover, it has the biggest international airport outside Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

Izmir, Turkey and Ayutthaya, Thailand have submitted their candidature for Expo 2020 to the BIE in May this year.

#5 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

Sao Paulo, new candidate for World Expo 2020

Posted Image
General Secretary or the BIE, Vicente Gonzalez Loscertalez and H.E.M Jose Mauricio Bustani.

Brazil submits the candidature of Sao Paulo for the World Expo 2020 on October 28, 2011.

The Ambassador of Brazil, H.E.M. Jose Mauricio Bustani, submitted the official letter of candidature signed by Dilma Vana Rousseff, the President of the Federative Republic of Brazil, to the Bureau International des Expositions, for an International Registered Exhibition to be held in the city of Sao Paulo.

The city proposed a theme of "the Power of Diversity, Harmony for Growth," from May 15, 2020 to November 14, 2020.

Sao Paulo is the largest city in Brazil. The country is preparing the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Izmir, Turkey and Ayutthaya, Thailand have submitted their candidature for Expo 2020 to the BIE in May this year.

#6 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I was curious which country Alexander Orlov- an author and something of a celebrity- is ambassador to. He's not exactly a career diplomat from the Foreign Ministry. Turns out he was not only named as Ambassador to France, but he was also appointed 'Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of The Federation of Russia' ---meaning something of a roving ambassador of goodwill. He has presented his credentials at countries like Monaco, where full-tier diplomatic relations don't quite exist to justify a full ambassadorship.

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,336 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Lemog, can you identify for us the old map on the wall of the BIE's secretary general? Of course it must be a map of one of the early expos... and my guess would be Paris.

#8 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Sorry Randy, I don't saw the question before, the map is the 1867 Paris Expo... this one is very rare and often photographied by candidates when they come at the BIE.

I saw Mr. Orlov before yesterday during the BIE GA... very interesting event with all these bids !!! very rich !!
Unfortunately, my 3 months collaboration with Russian committee was stopped... don't know why exactly... certainly for politic reasons or changes of head committee...
anyway, that doesn'tn start well for them, they're not very honest ! I saw their new consultant cabinet at the general assembly, they look like mafia !

I'm actually writing some little articles with photos on my blog, if you're interested, I put the text in english in the lower part of article.
I will try to post some news here, but I'm very busy right now (and often...) : http://lemog3d.blogspot.com/

It's not finish, I continue today and during the weekend :)

#9 One

One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

Now that the bidding is complete and we have 5 countries vying for the rights to hold EXPO 2020, Who do you think has the best chance to win the honor? Who do you want to get the selection vote? And who deserves the rights?

I think Izmir has the best chance due to runnerup status in 2015 bid, I want Dubai to get the bid as they announce the idea early to bid and despite economic downturn stood firm in making bid at the last moment. I think Sao Paula deserves the bid as the first Latin American city to bid and the chance to hold it in Brazil to fulfill the trifecta(FIFA, Olympics & EXPO) within the span of 5 years.

#10 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

From every metric I look at (money spent on the bid, social media, traffic on my web sites, and talking with insiders), Dubai seems to be the clear favorite. The only question among the insiders I've talked to has been: "Who's in second place?"

Given the issues the Sao Paulo bid has had with their site, and the fact that Brazil didn't attend Expo 2012, I think that bid seems to be having the most difficulty of the five.

I just updated the ExpoBids.com site with more information: http://www.ExpoBids.com/

Some might also be amused by this panoramic shot of the five Expo 2020 bids side-by-side at the BIE General Assembly in November:

http://www.flickr.co...57632652958358/

The Dubai bid proves that Ikea furniture is, indeed, universal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users