11 replies to this topic

#1 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

I've created a web site to help track the various bids and possible bids for future world's fairs:
http://www.ExpoBids.com/

As of now, Liége, Belgium and Astana, Kazakhstan seem like the most likely bid cities. I'm thinking that Newcastle, Australia is still in the "unlikely" category since they haven't really started an organization.

#2 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Is it me or are those cities remarkably obscure? Those proposals are a far cry from the days when Paris, London, NYC, San Francisco and Montreal hosted the world.

#3 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Liege hosted at least one world's fair in 1905. It is a fairly large city. The others I would agree... very obscure.

#4 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

There were two other international expositions held in Liege- in 1930 and in 1939, but I don't know much about them. The 1939 theme was "Water". The exposition grounds spread out on both sides of the Meuse River.

It opened in May 1939 and was supposed to remain open until November. But with Europe on the verge of war, it was pretty obvious the Expo would have to close early. Liege is only 30 miles from the German border.
The Belgian Army mined the bridges crossing the Meuse between the two sides of the Expo, to prepare for the expected invasion by the Germans. But a lightening storm came along on August 31st and set off the mines, destroying one of the bridges just before a passenger train came hurtling along. The ensuing crash killed 20 people (and injured 80). The following day Germany invaded Poland. It only took one more day for the authorities to close the Expo (September 2nd).

Liege's current proposal is to build the 2017 expo on the exact same site as their 1939 Expo.

#5 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Liege hosted at least one world's fair in 1905. It is a fairly large city. The others I would agree... very obscure.

I was aware of Liege's past expos - Astana I'm aware of really becasue of conversation with a guide at the Kazakhstan pavilion at Expo 2010. She told me a bit about its formation - basically a shift of capital city fromearhquake endangered west of the country to somewhere safer. So basically a new city. She also told me that it hosted the winter asian games ('confirmed' with a quick wikipedia check: http://en.wikipedia....an_Winter_Games

I would like to go to Liege (convenient for me) but Astana looks amazing (a building by one of my favourite architects) - so I;d quite like either

http://en.wikipedia....an_Winter_Games

#6 One

One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

Now that the deadline has passed and we have only 2 countries vying to hold EXPO 2017, Who do you think will win the contest and who do you want to win the vote?

I think Leige will win the rights by the experience of holding fairs and their knowledge of the procedures to aquire it but I would like to see Astana win as the newbie plus the novelty of going to a new area of the world and a new city just beginning to spread its awareness to the rest of the world.

#7 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Now that the deadline has passed and we have only 2 countries vying to hold EXPO 2017, Who do you think will win the contest and who do you want to win the vote?

I think Leige will win the rights by the experience of holding fairs and their knowledge of the procedures to aquire it but I would like to see Astana win as the newbie plus the novelty of going to a new area of the world and a new city just beginning to spread its awareness to the rest of the world.

Might today's news from Leige could act against it. (I wonder if London would have been awarded the 2012 Olympics had a terrorist attack a day earlier in 2005) - but on the other hand it's a year before the judgement

#8 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

Might today's news from Leige could act against it. (I wonder if London would have been awarded the 2012 Olympics had a terrorist attack a day earlier in 2005) - but on the other hand it's a year before the judgement

I had to search hard on the usual American news outlets to find out what you're talking about--- CNN had it so far down it was even a lower priority than 'butter shortage in Norway'. I finally found it on foxnews.com.

Sounds like a loner nutcase, not a terrorist operation, so I doubt it will have much impact on the voting.

#9 Jeffrey Ford

Jeffrey Ford

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

If I were part of the team judging the 2017 bids, I would have to take a look at the ability of the country to pull off the construction, and get people to attend. Belgium is considered one of the "soft" countries in the Eurozone. If the Eurozone and Euro currency begin to collapse, Belgium will not take the hit as bad as Greece, Ireland, Portugal, or Spain. However, it doesn't have the economic strength of Germany. It may be difficult for Belgium to fit the bill for a good EXPO. Kazakhstan is interesting. In the past nine years their average GDP growth has been 9.4%! They have oil and gas resources, and are a major wheat producer. Interestingly, it is also the site of the former USSR launch complex where the first man lifted off for space. I know that they have also been working very hard in the past few years to get international recognition. Their Astana pro cycling team is a prime example of that. In fact, when Lance Armstrong returned to pro cycling in 2009 he rode for the Kazakhstan based Astana cycling team. So, I would tend to lean toward Kazakhstan in 2017. I love visiting Belgium, and their chocolates are second to none! However, I imagine Kazakhstan would pour more money into their EXPO, and have much larger crowds.

#10 wf256

wf256

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

If I were part of the team judging the 2017 bids, I would have to take a look at the ability of the country to pull off the construction, and get people to attend. Belgium is considered one of the "soft" countries in the Eurozone. If the Eurozone and Euro currency begin to collapse, Belgium will not take the hit as bad as Greece, Ireland, Portugal, or Spain. However, it doesn't have the economic strength of Germany. It may be difficult for Belgium to fit the bill for a good EXPO. Kazakhstan is interesting. In the past nine years their average GDP growth has been 9.4%! They have oil and gas resources, and are a major wheat producer. Interestingly, it is also the site of the former USSR launch complex where the first man lifted off for space. I know that they have also been working very hard in the past few years to get international recognition. Their Astana pro cycling team is a prime example of that. In fact, when Lance Armstrong returned to pro cycling in 2009 he rode for the Kazakhstan based Astana cycling team. So, I would tend to lean toward Kazakhstan in 2017. I love visiting Belgium, and their chocolates are second to none! However, I imagine Kazakhstan would pour more money into their EXPO, and have much larger crowds.

Well - it you've been keeping up with Urso's posts you'll have seen that Astana won it. And I think you're correct about the amount of money that will be pumped in.

So who is going?

I intend to with a separate more local (for us Brits) a tour of ex-expo sites in Belgium, leige included, and of course Brussels to see the Atomium.

wf

#11 expoboy

expoboy

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

I may go based on what the expo site plans are.  Once I get a good idea of the architecture, layout and participants I will decide.

• wf256 likes this

#12 Urso Chappell

Urso Chappell

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I just completely updated the ExpoBids.com site. I'd appreciate any feedback I can get. There always seems to be one typo that I don't catch... and for the "past bids" section, it was hard to find documentation:

http://www.ExpoBids.com/

As was noted here, 2017 has been decided and will be held in Astana:

http://www.ExpoMuseum.com/2017/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users