Bill Cotter

More on the Ever Present Nuns

We've commented in some older threads about how many nuns they seemed to be at the Fair. As a survivor of a few years in Catholic school, I had a healthy respect for those women in black and white. Or a healthy fear. In any event, I still have some vivid memories of seeing them at the Fair, and they certainly show up a lot in pictures.

I just did a box of slides that really seems to have captured more than a fair share of nuns. As I worked through the slides they kept popping up. Here's some views of the Ever Present Nuns:

nuns-1.jpg

nuns-2.jpg

nuns-3.jpg

nuns-4.jpg

nuns-5.jpg

Maybe it was "Half Price for Nuns Day". In any event, I bet they were hot, as this was August 1964, not the coolest of times in New York.

Maybe it was "Half Price for Nuns Day". In any event, I bet they were hot, as this was August 1964, not the coolest of times in New York.

"more than a **fair** share of nuns" huh? Shame on you if that was intentional, and shame on you if it wasn't. :D

Looks like I'm guilty no matter what so I'm taking the fifth.

Any more abuse and I'll want to take a fifth.

By the way, I couldn't tell if those were the same nuns over and over or different ones. They sure all looked alike.

"more than a **fair** share of nuns" huh? Shame on you if that was intentional, and shame on you if it wasn't. :D

It's an easy explanation. If you were a school teacher in the NYC area and had the summer off, visiting the World's Fair could become quite habit-forming.

Cotter, one of your old teachers is reading everything you're posting, and is out for revenge.

nunin.jpg

Not surprising to find that many nuns around the fair. There are still a good number of Catholic schools in the area with convents attached, including St. Leo's which is just 3 or 4 blocks from the fair.

Or it could be agents from a secret order of nuns known as 'The God Squad' hunting down bad kids and heretics, working over their knuckles with rulers. :o They got in for free with a special WF ticket from the Vatican written in Latin.

As for fighting nuns with rulers I learned that at St. Leo's, where unfortunately I got thrown out of that school after first grade and ex-communicated. A long story and I still say I was framed. I've been dodging the 'God Squad' and those rulers they wield ever since. :unsure:

Don, I'll bet you get stopped by the TSA every time you go through an airport, because of what those nuns wrote in your permanent record. :blink:

I'll bet they have to attend a special class at nun school, to learn the correct way of wielding those rulers. Name of class: Ruler Terror 101: Subtitle: how to connect with the maximum number of knuckles in a single swat.

Nuns displaying extraordinary aptitude could continue on to an advanced class called Knuckle Busting 307: The Art of Nunchuk Ruler Technique. (and you always wondered why they call them NUNchucks?) Post-graduate school would get into the psychology of it all, where the ace of aces of nuns doesn't have to touch *anybody*, but just casually displays a ruler and instantly half the class would break out in tears and admit to everything they ever did or even thought of doing.

I heard this one once: Why do nuns wear black habits?

Answer: to disguise the knuckle blood.

I think the real answer has something to do with the Pope gets white, the Cardinals get red, the monks get brown, and all that leaves the nuns with is black. I guess it's good they're color-coded, otherwise we might mistake the Pope for a nun. :rolleyes:

...and don't forget those Franciscan Brothers. Brother Thomas had a brass ruler in which he had inscribed "Beatumplenty". Many a sore knuckle or buttocks felt the sting of that instrument of terror.

Don, I'll bet you get stopped by the TSA every time you go through an airport, because of what those nuns wrote in your permanent record. :blink:

Hehehe! Lucky for me the Inquisition published it's charges and specifications in Latin!

The Atomium was a stop on CBS' The Amazing Race last night (Sun. Nov. 27, 2011) They never mentioned the 1958 World's Fair, but did say that the Atomium was a landmark in Brussels. What a beautiful structure, especially at night.

post-86-0-69617700-1322495636_thumb.jpg

A happy couple poses on Meadow Lake Bridge, apparently unaware how close they came to a lecture from a passing posse of Ever Present Nuns.

nuns-meadow-lake-bridge.jpg

July 1965

I had nuns--Dominican nuns--when I was in grammar school. Holy crap they were tough. The thing about them feeling the heat on an August day is interesting to me. I remember a kid asking a nun if she got hot wearing her habit on a warm day. Her response was that the more clothing one wears the cooler one will be. I had trouble with the concept but sort of bought the act as I did with a number of the other pronouncements made by those women. These include, among others, that ball point pens should never be used by good Catholics and that if one drops such a pen on the floor, it will explode. Another nun informed us that the local YMCA was a communist organisation and we should never enter its doors. All of these issue were moot when compared to the statement made by Sister Ellen Edward in October of 1962 as we all listened to a transistor radio in the classroom during the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. She informed us that if we survived the current mess that the coming Christmas would be our last because nuclear war was a certainty. Imagine the impact of that statement on a nine year old kid. Is there any wonder why so many equate Catholic education with emotional trauma?

Dominicans here too, at St Vincent Ferrer School.

My version of a Bond nemesis was Sister Mary Blanche, if that wasn't a government supplied alias, the Principal. I remember her holding me by the throat and slapping the hell out of me. Well beyond what even I as a little boy knew to be any reasonable punishment for Third Grade mischief. She basically slapped religion right out of me.

Hello All,

I can't recall which of you has it - but I sold someone in here a really neat photograph of some nuns on the Helicline! Now that I think about it, I have not seen many/any other 1939/40 images with nuns? You can't bring a stroller but you can enter with a tent on concealing gosh knows what?

Best wishes,

Eric

A few moments later, we come upon a seemingly tranquil spot, the Brass Rail Garden Restaurant.

brass-rail-garden-1.jpg

Danger lurks in the trees, though. Beware of not finishing your vegetables before you have your desert!

brass-rail-garden-2.jpg

The nuns went to great lengths to keep an eye on things... even deploying aerial drone nuns.

65-10-25-35a_Swiss_Sky_Ride.jpg

Bill did find some at the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago.

33-general.jpg