19 replies to this topic

#16 CathyS

CathyS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for correcting me about the management at Stony Brook, Bill. I've heard several complaints about them in the past, so it's good news to hear a positive endorsement now.
However, I really hope one day there will be a museum somewhere devoted just to World's Fair history run by amenable people dedicated to this particular area of history, a "DisneyWorld" for us fair fanatics.

I suspect you're right about the Redwood at Flushing Meadows, I can't see a tree like that surviving here. It would be nice to think that maybe it was moved to a more amenable location, but I share your view that it probably just perished at some point. But I'll keep digging to try and see if it at least received some sort of obituary, although again I don't have a lot of hope about finding that. (A Redwood in your yard, wow, that is great! I'm trying to picture that from my cold, windy, still wintery locale in the northeast...)

And along with you great people from the World's Fair Community, I've got several other friends also helping me look into the disappearance of that beautiful fountain,....with all of us searching, hopefully we'll find the fountain preserved in some out of the way location and there'll be a happy ending for at least this one artifact from '39.....I truly hope so, because after seeing the photo Bill posted, I would so love to see this piece in person.

Cathy

#17 magikbilly

magikbilly

Mock the midnight hour once more...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi again CathyS, Trey, Bill, Jim and All

I don't know about the fountain and tree, but I recall when my friend Joe (anyone at the Feb. 2007 (?) SIP walk will recall him)...well, when he worked at SUNY Old Westbury he showed me some bushes that were taken from the 1939 NYWF. That was a nice walk. Don, Wally, Cecilia and her mom and those cute little doggies and many others chilling in the park.

Eric

#18 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Here is a list of trees currently in the collection of the Queens Botanical Garden. Unfortunately, no redwoods. :(
http://www.queensbot...shrubs_interest

You can get your name on a World's Fair bench:
http://www.queensbot...pport/adoptions

#19 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

"Of the original plantings taken from its World's Fair site, three Blue Atlas Cedars frame a majestic tree gate sculpture at the Garden's Main Street entrance today"

Posted Image

In 2002, the installation of a new perimeter fence signaled the beginning of a decade of great change at Queens Botanical Garden, and was the first capital project completed at QBG since 1986.

The Garden replaced its chain-link fence with an ornamental steel picket fence that encloses and secures the entire 39-acre site. Sixty-six stone-faced concrete piers each bear a granite plaque inscribed with the Garden’s name, and bronze medallions of plants native to the area adorn every third or fourth fence panel.

A signature tree sculpture gate graces the Garden’s entrance on Main Street. This elegant representation of the American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana), a tree known for its toughness and hard wood, was “planted” between two Blue Atlas Cedars (Cedrus atlantica ‘Glauca’) that have been part of the Garden since its birth as the exhibit Gardens on Parade at the 1939-1940 New York World’s Fair. The tree sculpture gate is dedicated to “the victims and heroes of 9/11 and to the power of hope, healing, and community.”

The new perimeter fence has enabled QBG to develop its entire site as a botanic garden and provide a safe, secure environment for its plant collections and visitors.

#20 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,288 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

You might have noticed between the two references- one said three cedars and the other said two cedars. Here's an explanation.

In March 1994 they decided to try to transplate one of the 1939 Blue Atlas cedars from the QBC back to FMCP. Unfortunately it was improperly uprooted, and died soon after.
An artist then carved the dead tree trunk into a 13-foot high sculpture called "On Fertile Ground". It was installed in the nearby Socrates Sculpture Garden.

At the time, there was a report floating around that the tree had been donated by the Emperor of Japan to the 1964 World's Fair, but it really was one of the 3 survivors from 1939.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users