The place: The 1984 World's Fair

The time: Just after the gates closed for good

expo-mural.jpg

Wow, what amazing advertising for Expo 86 and Expo 88. This was located near one end of the International Riverfront.

What is really weird is the adjacent mural for "Poor Ned Kelly". Read up on him and try to explain how he got on the wall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly

If you scroll down in that wikipedia article to the iconography section. it gives an idea- his legend has become almost comical- kind of like Billy the Kid. Almost no connection to the reality of history.

Those cannot be serious signs unless they had a ten year old as the advertising director.

I was wondering if this was some sort of contest - "Win a chance to paint a mural seen by millions" - or something that was slipped in as a bad joke. "Let's paint it and see if anyone realizes it shouldn't be there!"

Good point; however, whatever the reason for why those signs are there might be, it just confirms to me that there was sort of a fly by the seat of your pants approach to this fair. As I indicated above, I cannot imagine any world's fair, at any time or place, having such strange entrances. One small example: The 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition (which was about 350 acres in size) had several entrances and all were beautifully landscaped and decorated with sculpture, banners and the like. However, the main entrance took one across the dramatic Triumphal Bridge which was designed to prepare one for the wonders ahead. That's the sort of thing a visitor to a world's fair should expect.

The 1984 fair definitely had its faults, but at least they tried. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained", right? Still, having said that, a few things they did just make you wonder WHY????