5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:06 AM

I was surprised to see that there weren't any topics or messages for the Expo '85 section. I was lucky enough to have gone to the fair while I was working in Tokyo. Did anyone else from the board get there as well?

Posted Image

#2 TOTHEFAIR

TOTHEFAIR

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hi Bill
I attended Expo`85, managed to have a four day visit. The corporate pavilions had many ride throughs. After taking my wife to New Orleans for her first Expo experience, it was great, the very next year, to show her a real world`s fair. I also got to Osaka on that trip, and visited the Expo`70 site. The Expo`70 Commeration Hall was a real treat. Besides the exhibits, and films, you could purchase a souvenir stamp book, and you could use many of the original pavilion stamps to stamp your book. It was a great sidetrip.

Fred

#3 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

I'm glad you made it there as well, Fred. There was certainly a major difference between the 1984 fair in New Orleans and Expo 85, especially in the size of the sites. Expo 85 took a lot of walking to cover, but I especially liked the green spaces and water in the middle. It made it all seem less hectic than it would have been otherwise, especially as there were some large crowds on some days.

Here's another view of the fair:

Posted Image
Sweden Pavilion, Information Booth, Kurumakan Pavilion

I don't think I ever figured out what the ride in the Kurumakan Pavilion was all about, but it was still great fun!

#4 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Here's a link between the 1984 World's Fair and Expo 85.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This display was part of the Japan Pavilion in 1984.

#5 LuLu55

LuLu55

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone took photograph's of the inside of the Australian Pavillion the theme being Science and Technology. One of the exhibits in the Australian Pavillion was a model of the first feasible television system which was designed in 1885 by my great grandfather Henry Sutton who was an Australian inventor. It does not look like a television as we all know it if you go to google images and type in "Henry Sutton telephane" you will get an idea of what it looked like. Even if you don't have a photograph of it and you have some photo's of inside the Australian Pavillion I would love to see them.

Lorayne

#6 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, I only have exteriors of the Australia Pavilion. Good luck with your hunt - sounds fascinating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users