Sign in to follow this  
Doug Seed

Who's who?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mary Ellen:

Hey Rocket Thrower,

Did Joan Jett sing - "I love Rocket Thrower so put an irradiated dime in the juke box baby" to you?

She's great. I miss all those 80's MTV videos!<HR></blockquote>

LMAO Mary Ellen! I also miss what MTV used to be. I Remember too when they actually used to play Music Videos.

Joan is releasing a two DVD set with ALL her video work in chronocological order. It is primarily only available through her website. <a href="http://www.JoanJett.com" target="_blank">www.JoanJett.com</a>

Check it out, great website, photos, forum etc...

------------------

Peace

quote:

Originally posted by billcotter:

Here's a shot of me and my airplane out at Van Nuys airport one fine day

Bill

What's this Ninja Turtle stuff Bill?

We want to see the Peter and Wendy Twins on the side of your plane.

Or the Rocket Thrower might be even better! I'm sure you'll be tinkering in Photo Shop for a suitable Rocket Thrower logo!

helicopter.jpg

Hey - Nice Texan!

There's a sky writing company here, on Long Island, that flys a squadron of those when they work. The land and take off in formation!!! - Great little plane.

I do volunteer work at an aviation museum we have two of them.

The Ninja Turtle was on the plane when we bought it 11 years ago. My partner and I were 100% set on taking it off as it was non-military and non-period, but when we flew it to an airshow the kids went wild over it. By now it's part of the scenery at the airport - we're used to it! We're part of a group that does formation flights, mock battles, etc. On a good day we can get 10 planes up - sure to wake up the neighbors!

We used to do skywriting but haven't done it for a few years. Too much work for too little income...

Bill

[This message has been edited by billcotter (edited 09-08-2003).]

quote:

Originally posted by billcotter:

On a good day we can get 10 planes up - sure to wake up the neighbors!

So that was you buzzing my house!

airplane_mobile_lg_clr.gif

Think your on-board smoke generator can be modified to spray entire neighborhoods with the aroma of hot Bel-Gem waffles?

We've had a few days of pictures of just about everybody- now comes the moment everybody has been waiting for.

The PTU I.D. Test

Identify #1, #2, #3 and #4 from among the "usual gang of suspects"!

suspects_jail_lineup_hg_clr__ST.gif

da'Bench says the number of photos taken of him is approaching those of Emmett Kelly, so I guess that leans toward #1.

#4 is probably the person who wanted instructions on how to break in to the NYS rotunda a couple of months ago.

#3 looks like she "flew up" to the Girl Scouts, don't ya think?

That leaves #2- ....hmmmm....about the right height...it's probably either me or Bill!

I'll have my finger prints done at the entrance so you all can keep a close watch on "the explorer". cool.gif

I have a pic of me and the unisphere I'd like to post, would someone direct me again as how to post this pic. Thanks - Jon

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40:

I have a pic of me and the unisphere I'd like to post, would someone direct me again as how to post this pic. Thanks - Jon<HR></blockquote>

in your message type [ img ] but don't insert any spaces. Then type the full url address where you have the picture stored. Then type [ /img ] but don't insert any spaces there either. In fact, there should be any spaces at all from the first bracket to the last bracket. The img and /img inside the brackets are UBB code that tell it to display the link as a .jpg or .gif picture instead of as a url. The brackets themselves are translated as "there's UBB code here".

If it doesn't come out right and it doesn't display the picture, you can use the edit button (the middle of the three buttons above your message) to fix it.

You can also use the edit button to copy an entire message, delete it (check the delete box), and re-post the whole thing with the error "fixed".

Why Bill Cotter! All this time and you've never mentioned you were a fly boy? Man, I am green with envy. That is one nice lookin' airplane.

Thanks everybody for posting your pictures. It's nice to see who everyone is. I'm enjoying this a lot!

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Young (edited 09-08-2003).]

Have you ever noticed that the Rocket Thrower sculpture's left arm looks totally out of proportion to his right arm and the rest of his body?

Have you always shaved your armpits?

Only for show.

...And your arms would be out of wack too if you held that pose for over 38 years...whew!

Bill

Great looking AT-6 Texan!

Yessong,

When I use to fly out of Flushing Airport back around 1976-77, The Skytypers use to be based there. It was an amazing site to see those planes take off and land on a 2,900 ft. strip. Keep in mind (for those avaition minded) that this was done at a unicom based field, right next door to LGA!

Oh, yeah, here's a picture of me last summer at an old place I use to work at way back when!

Drums2.jpg

[whew! forgot that some html is a wee bit case sensitive!]

Marc

[This message has been edited by marcthorner (edited 09-12-2003).]

Thanks for the comments about the plane. It's great fun between gas bills!

Wow - Flushing Airport. Hard to believe it's sitting there turning back into a swamp. That must have been one interesting airport when active.

Out here we have fun things to learn, like how to safely fly over Los Angeles International. Odd to look down and see a 747 flying underneath you...

I got a kick out of Randy's picture showing the Queen Mary. When I first took my flight test we did some stalls over the ship. One stall turned into a spin and I remember looking down at the ship wondering which funnel we would fall into. Luckily I recovered from the spin. Went back the next week and passed, happily. Can't help think about it every time I see the ship though!

Bill

Bill;

Great to hear your story. Yes, Flushing Airport was quite a place. Not far from FMCP and just like you would imagine a small town airport to be.

Growing up by both LaGuardia and Idlewild Airports (now JFK) in Queens, it was always fun to go to the large airports and watch the big planes (pre-jet days) take off. Visits were a regular family weekend excursion. We could have lunch at the airport, then go out on the roof of the main terminal and watch the planes take off. Passengers would all go out on the tarmac and ascend to the plane by stairs, and wave at relatives and friends. It was just like the bon voyage parties for people leaving the giant ocean liners at the NY piers in those days. And - you could put a nickle in the binocular machines and see the whole thing up close or put another nickle in a squawk box and hear the conversations between the pilots and the control towers live! (I remember a big day when my father and uncle drove everyone out to Idlewild to view the first jet to take off from New York. It was an Air France flight to Paris, they had a ceremony at the plane and the spectators held their breath as this new, non-propeller passenger plane rose over Queens into history. What a differance from today's world, where observation decks, etc. would be unthinkable for security and the saddest thing is that it leaves peope out of the experience of the true romance,excitement and miracle of flight.)

But to me as a young kid even more exciting was Flushing Airport. You could drive up a dusty road, pull up to a makeshift parking lot, and watch up close the pilots get into their little planes and soar into the sky. It had it's own "control tower" - a little shack called 'Speed's Flying Service' ,with antennas on the roof and inside 'Speed' ,his wife and kids would run the thing, with Speed always on his ham-radio- like microphone talking with the pilots and coordinating takeoffs and landings.

But the biggest thrill came in 1964 when the fair was on. One day, out of my window there was the most incredible sight. This large airship (it looked as large as the Hindenburg) suddenly appeared, rising, like a bullet straight into the sky above Flushing. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then, every day I could see the incredible landings and takeoffs of this marvelous ship of the air. And before long there were TWO of them! Every single day. They were the GoodYear Blimps - the Mayflower and Columbia - and they were moored at Flushing Airport to fly daily over the World's Fair and New York City.

Boy, I tell you, it was as thrilling to me as having the fair (and Shea Stadium) in my backyard. I pleaded with my father to drive me to Flushing Airport to see this miracle up close. It was a thrill to watch the blimps land and take off up close. And the GoodYear staff stationed at'Speed's" were marvelous and friendly, bringing their Akron,Ohio homespun manner to New York. By the end of the fair, they managed to arrange the ultimate thrill for many of the local kids - a quick ride in the Blimp. I stil treasure the GoodYear Blimp Club card they gave after they took you up.

I have a friend , Alan Gross, whose apartment lierally was at the airport's doorstep, who was also mesmerized by the blimps, and to this day he is one of the world's biggest historians and collectors of airship history. He has the same apartment in Flushing and has worked on airships and is currently attempting to establish a permanent blimp-port at the old Flushing Airport site, along with an adjacent airship museum and tourist facility. He has the support of the local comunity board but the typical city bureacracy is asleep at the wheel, as usual. So the old Flushing Airport sits closed, desolate, flooded and weed-infested and unfortunately, 'Speed' long ago went to the great airport in the sky. But with the blimps returning annually to Flushing Meadows for the US Open and games at Shea (the blimps have to travel from airfields in Lakehurst, N.J. and far out on Long Island), and with the future possibility of the Olympics in New York, this blimport idea has great merit - and magic. I'll try to get Alan to post some stuff on this website.

Just a final note about Flushing Airport. I was so taken with the place that when I graduated frm grammar school I took my money from graduation and convinced 'Speed' to let me take flying lessons there. I didn't tell my parents and I lied to Speed about my age (I know he really wasn't fooled) and started the lessons. I applied to Aviation High School in Queens and really thought that's what I wanted to do.

Then one day ,in the summer of '64 , two bad things happened. While flying with my instructer over Northeast Queens (near the Throgs Neck Bridge) a sudden thunderstorm was approaching. The teacher told me it might be better to head back to Flushing Airport. As the winds were getting heavier, over the plane's radio, Speed was shoting something like "shcgawkkgratjurteqzzz..." I thought the trainer knew what he said, but then he turned to me and said "Didja catch that?"

My confidence started to wane after that and our landing at Flushing Airport, with windshear nearly missed a row of telephone polls right on the border of the little field. Pretty scary stuff. When we landed the pilot said "That was a close one, huh?", laughing his way back to Speed's. As if that wasn't enough to kill my flying dreams, when I got home my mother had in the mail the receipt from Speed's for my flying lessons! Needless to say I was in deep doo-doo.

But I admire still pilots who made it like you. And I will always enjoy that wonderful feeling of flying a plane and the memories of the blimps and Flushing Airport. It's as much a part of the fair to me as anything else.

Randy that is a pretty good picture. Bench are you sure its a stariway? Has it always been there?

I see from this angle there are really four platforms. The top has 2 levels. Which one was the Restaurant?

Yes, indeed, those are the stairs in the NY State towers. They were always there, it's just that webcam view is not a vantage point where photos were taken during the fair so where not used to seeing them in photos. Those great color photos of the tower decks just posted are,in fact taken from those very steps.

There were two levels on the top tower - the uppermost was strictly an observation platform, the lower a combination snack-stand style restaurant (enclosed) and observation deck. The "fancy" restaurant was in the bottom tower which was fully enclosed , not open to the public. It had tinted glass walls, carpeting, its own bar and chef and was used by Governor Rockefeller to entertain dignitaries , etc. during the run of the fair. The only access was by a special key of the elevator operator - normally the elevators just bypassed the first platform.

The view of that skycam is exactly the view from my window overlooking the park from 30 stories up. A number of local station's cameras are on top of my building. From that perch they can monitor clearly the I495 (LI Expwy), the Grand Central Parkway and the Van Wyck Expressway. While those cameras are zoomed in to focus on the roadways, the wider view from my window encompasses, the Unisphere, towers, NY City Building, Hall of Science, Terrace on the Park, the lakes, tennis center, Shea Stadium and Flushing Bay.

It's great at night - the Unisphere is lit up and glowing until midnight when the lights automaticly shut down. It's funny we're talking about this tonite because it's the worst night in a while to see this great view. The London-type fog we have tonite com-pletely obliterates any view of the park at all - so don't look tonite at live views - Flushing Meadows has dissapeared. The view would look just like those views in California. As soon as it clears, though the view is spectacular.

OOPS. I feel a bit responsible for fragmenting a good conversation.

I complained that live webcams from 2 locations were added to this "Who's who" thread, going off the topic of WHO we are. And making the thread take an awful long time to load. I suggested that "webcams" be it's own topic.

But as the "webcams" off-topic did move,

TO: <a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000040.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000040.html</a> , replies to this non "Who's who" discussion still came in.

Sorry to those who discussed the live pic of the NYS Pavilion here, and the future readers who'll have to make sense of the last 4 postings.

-Rich

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 09-14-2003).]