Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

'64 Culture

Alright ladies- Mary Ellen, Rose, Elizabeth?- did any of you get your hair 'done' just for the trip to the fair? smile.gif

Did you get the 'dippety do', the 'beehive', or the 'flip'? Or did you just wait to see what the Clairol Pavilion could do for you?

And how many of you wore white gloves to the Fair with your Mary Janes?

423.jpg

Let me tell you how hard those hair creations were! No dippity do for me. But I spent years trying to perfect the flip. To no avail I might add.

My hair flipped, but in all the wrong ways. When I wanted it down, it turned up. When I wanted it up, it turned down, or sideways.

I was also, in the sixties, the victim of my mothers styling. She insisted on cutting and styling my hair herself. This meant uneven bangs, often a page boy style length, and occasional curls that never seamed to have reason to exist. I hated my hair.

My mother was very attractive,(unfortunately I take after my father more than my mother in regard to attractiveness.) and spent hours on her hair and appearance. I don't remember what she wore to the fair, or how her hair was done for that day, but I know that it must have required much fuss and aqua net. Those sixties hair styles took more sculpting than Mt. Rushmore!

I was 6 and 7 during the years of the fair, so my mother had control over my hairstyle, clothing etc. I had long hair - down to my waist - with the front section clipped up with a barette, which we called the "old fashioned girl" hairstyle.