Sign in to follow this  
Plumber

Food vendors??

Further discussion of the "Mastro Pizza Pavilion - The PIZZA SHOWPLACE at the NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR"has moved to it's own thread location; <a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000086.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000086.html</a>

Come! Meet us for 'a slice'. Vinnie Mastro's buying!

These don't turn up everyday in such nice condition

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-N-Y-Worlds-Fair-Brass-Rail-Menu-Napkins-Gift-Bag_W0QQitemZ7748766846QQcategoryZ4169QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-N-Y-Worlds-Fair-B...1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

I ate at Tad's on 42'nd a couple of years ago, I remember getting a nice portion of food for a very reasonable price. The steak wasn't filet mignon, but it was really tasty and came with a baked potato and big slab of garlic bread. I think everything came to about $6 if my memory is correct. I only wished I had known I was eating official NYWF steak at the time!

And the AutoPub, what a wonderful place. I think it opened around 1970 in the lower level of the GM building. I believe they suffered a fire there when the axle grease from a Bugatti hung sideways on the wall dripped into a votive candle and there was a flare up. I remember being disappointed as a young boy when the only car available to sit in did not fit our party of three, so we sat in a plain old booth instead. The lighting fixture over the booths were racing helmets. From what I recollect the cars on the ceilings and walls were real, but the booths were custom made replicas. I wonder where these went.

Tad's Steak House made a big impression on me and my family back during our visit to the fair in mid-May '64. At that time my parents were struggling to operate a small country hotel in southwestern New Hampshire and one part of their offering was having the first all-you-can-eat buffet dinner on Saturday nights in that part of the state. In New York we stayed at the Hotel Chesterfield on, I believe, 47th Street, right near Rockerfeller Center and Times Square (long since demolished for the McGraw-Hill towers). We ended up eating at least two meals at Tad's (I think the 42nd Street location), and I can still remember the experience of watching the steaks grilled in front of us. My Dad was so impressed that after we returned home to New Hampshire he tore out a section of wall between the hotel kitchen and dining room and built a brick gas fired grill so that he could add grilled steaks to the buffet offering. That helped build up the buffet business for a while, but once buffet style meals began to be common place, my parents gave up and several years later shut down the hotel to convert it to apartments.

The steaks may have been thin, but to my nine-year-old country palate, I thought them to be quite tasty and I can still remember being very impressed with the salad dressing.

I ate at Tad's on 42'nd a couple of years ago, I remember getting a nice portion of food for a very reasonable price. The steak wasn't filet mignon, but it was really tasty and came with a baked potato and big slab of garlic bread. I think everything came to about $6 if my memory is correct. I only wished I had known I was eating official NYWF steak at the time!

Tad's Steak House at the World's Fair, 1964

Check out the sweat on the cook's head. That fire must be stoked up pretty good.

This is one of those huge 'super scenic' sized slides- bigger than my scanner can handle. So I scanned it horizontal, and then vertical, and then attempted to merge the two.

One thing that is still outside my scanner's field of view is bright red tiles at the top of the hearth, with a big letter T in the middle.

I'll have to let Bill Cotter take a crack at this on his flat bed, which has a wider slide mask.

64-xx-08-xx_Tads_Steakhouse-horizontal.jpg

64-xx-08-xx_Tads_Steakhouse-vertical.jpg

64-xx-08-xx_Tads_Steakhouse-combo.jpg

I remember for my 10th birthday my parents took me and my sister to see "The Magic Show" on Broadway, then we went to Tad's on Times Square. After that, when I was a teen and later a young man, I'd eat there every once in a while. I loved the Garlic Bread, and the mushrooms on the steaks-I can still recall the taste. Are there any Tad's left in New York? It's been a long long time for me. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

My dad would take us to Tad's in Manhattan and it was a real thrill. I also was wondering if any are left, and if so, what people think about them these days.

They still are in NYC. They are part of the Riese Restaurant group now; their web site is here: [url:9e4f5]http://www.rieserestaurants.com/restaurants.asp?rest_id=1005[/url:9e4f5]. The last time I went past one, about three years ago, my wife and I decided to go to a deli instead. The food looked rather basic and the facilities looked a little worn.

The one at 7th and 47thst is the one I always went to. Nice to see it is still in operation, same menu too! I wonder what they charge now..I think it was around 6 or 7 dollars for the sirloin last time, but that was back in the 1980's. Shame they couldn't keep the Automat around too, that one was my all time favorite.

That photo was the inside of Tad's Steak House Restaurant at the World's Fair.

Here's what the outside looked like.

Tads_Steak_House.jpg

┬ęBill Cotter, Set 1, picture 23 (cropped to focus on the restaurant)

Was it Nerichards or Orange Julius that had that Orange-headed-running-winking-clerk hatted-logo guy?

NedicksGuyTop.JPG[/attachment:84c27]

Wow-I didn't realize how far back this thread went, and the various food topics within.

I don't recall any Nerichards, but I do remember Nedicks with the Orange headed clerk guy.

They almost went completely extinct, but Riese Restaurants took over and a few survive. Their menu is more expansive than I remember the original being, but the Orange Drink is the original. My mom used to love Nedicks and the Automat when she was growing up. I became a big Automat fan myself, and frequented the last remaining automat on 42nd Street and 3rd avenue till it closed. A couple years ago I aquired a book with the original Horn and Hardart Automat recipies, so now I can make my favorites at home, and it tastes exactly like I remembered it from the Automat.