Sign in to follow this  
Plumber

Food vendors??

Luchow's of New York had restaurants at several World's Fairs, beginning with 1904 in St. Louis.

I'm surprised they didn't have a bigger presence at the '64-65 Fair. Maybe they were already a shell of their former self by then?

Kind of like Automats. They were at their peak at the time of the '39-40 Fair, but by the time '64-65 came around they were still around, but running out of steam.

I remember my dad taking us to an Automat in New York when we visited the Fair in '65, just to show us kids what one was, and I wasn't that impressed.

Randy

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gene:

Mike, inevitably Luchow's was bought out by the Riese people who retain the rights to the name. The good thing about them though is that sooner or later they usually reintroduce concepts to see if there is interest. Luchow's like Toots Schor's and Lindy's (other Riese recreations) may well live again-or more accurately some facsimile of it. <HR></blockquote>

Interesting, Gene, didn't know that.

So they've recreated Toots Shor's? Where is that?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Park Bench:

Interesting thread Plumber! We haven't looked into the food vendor topic before...

<HR></blockquote>

The only recent related PTU discussion that I can recall was the Chicken Delight located near one of the Fair gates, which gave out World's Fair Chicken Delight metal tab pins similar to what Pavilion visitors were handed. <a href="http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000168.html" target="_blank">http://www.nywf64.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/000168.html</a>

I think several PTUers recalled Chicken Delight's delivery service in the NYC area at the time (with a plastic chicken on the roof of the deliveryman's car)- sort of a precurser to later delivery services like Domino's.

Randy

[This message has been edited by c318137 (edited 01-22-2003).]

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c318137:

I remember my dad taking us to an Automat in New York when we visited the Fair in '65, just to show us kids what one was, and I wasn't that impressed.

Randy<HR></blockquote>

Randy,

I can't believe you were not enthralled by the Automat when you were a kid. Boy, I sure was!!! The coffee being dispensed from a fish shaped spout. The Franks and Beans! Oh what I treat it was for my brother and me when we were kids!

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 01-23-2003).]

I read in Pizza Marketing Quarterly where the last Mastro Pizza location in New York has now been re-opened by JADA Pizza Corp. at 224 W. 238 St. in the Bronx. My question is...was Mastro at one time a large local chain or was it a one location business? Are there any other Mastro units in the NY area?

Hey Liz, we had to drag the parents in, but every trip we got our Automat fix!

Subway, Luchow's, Macy's, Automat, Times Square Arcade, Radio City Music Hall. Jeez, those were the good old days!!

There is a shop in Manhattan that sells old Automat equipment (bring a FAT wallet), I want to visit next summer.

Mike,

Toots Schor's-It came back and left, the name will reappear someday. For many years there was a recreated Toots Schor sports bar-restaurant in the Madison Square Garden complex. Not a bad place but it bore little resemblance to the hard-drinking celebrity hangout (Gleason, Dimaggio, et. al.) of the '50s near the old Garden on 49th Street.

To recreate your favorite NYC food place of the past, these are the people to petition:

<a href="http://www.rieserestaurants.com/home.asp" target="_blank">www.rieserestaurants.com/corphistory.asp</a>

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 01-23-2003).]

Oh Great rolleyes.gif

I've had difficulty locating the "NEW" Nerichard's in NYC Penn Station Gene, until I found it described on the Riese Empire link you supplied below. I have been passing it all the time because it is completely un-remarkable!

New Nerichard's-What-A-Joke. But the joke is on all NYers. The Nerichards is simply a hotdog counter that has been a hot dog counter for years. It is not a store, per se. But is just the re-dedicated hot dog counter in a cramped DunkinDonutsCarusoPizzaSomebodyoranotherCoffeeWho'sWhoChinese Food court with maybe 12 seats, 6 tables.

All that makes this "Nerichards" is the logo guy on 2 soda coolers and the overhead Menu board...& oh yes the "signature" toasted bread rectangular buns. I meant to try a dog, but my train was announced, there was a short line, and I already felt cheated.

Gene, you have described the Riese Empire and I guess I just haven't looked 'til now. UGH! They have acquired most of the NYC eats, the icons, institutions of al fresco dining - SUCKED the Soul out of them, leaving just logos and then mashed or piled them together in the same buildings.

The 34th Street Tad's is not Tads now,but TADSSTEAKS®ROYROGERS®PIZZAHUT®DUNKINDONUTS®KFC®

That works perhaps for airports or malls BUT Yukk!

The only property they seem to have ignored and let stand alone is Lindy's across 53rd from the Sheraton.

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 01-24-2003).]

White Tower? Remember it well. They had a number of them in NJ. Think I helped pay off the mortgage on the one in Bloomfield. There was also Bright Tower. Since we're on it how about Benedict's around Times Square?

Amen, Bench!

I think Manhattan has lost a lot of it's charm, as regards to retail/food service. Of course, it's the same all over America. The charming local independants are mostly gone, replaced by the generic chains.

New York had all kinds of cool shops and restaurants, now it's all DISCOUNT ELECTRONICS and chain fast food joints.

I wouldn't know where to find a real Jewish deli anymore, when there used to be one nearly on every block.

Sad!

quote:

Originally posted by c318137:

...I remember my dad taking us to an Automat in New York when we visited the Fair in '65, just to show us kids what one was, and I wasn't that impressed.

Randy

Randy?

Have you seen or do you have the '64-65 Automat Post Card with NYWF mention???

(If so, state your address-bed time-and where you stow it! rolleyes.gif )

da'bench

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 01-24-2003).]

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Park Bench:

Randy
?

Have you seen or do you have the '64-65 Automat Post Card with
NYWF
mention???

(If so, state your address-bed time-and where you stow it!
:rolleyes:rolleyes.gif
)

da'bench
<HR>

I haven't been lucky enough to snare one for my collection yet, but I do have a good pic of it (the front of it). Will try to post it tonight.

Randy

Ken:

Benedict's or Bickford's?

Yes, you have to look hard for the old-style places. Here's one Papaya World on 86th St/3rd Ave:

<a href="http://www.agilitynut.com/pkng.jpg" target="_blank">www.agilitynut.com/pking.jpg</a>

As for the classic NYC kosher deli:

<a href="http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/entertainment/article.adp?aid=3551&start=10#gbPostBoard" target="_blank">]http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/ente ... bPostBoard]</a>

<a href="http://www.mrbroadwaykosher.com/" target="_blank">http://www.mrbroadwaykosher.com/</a>

I am an Irish boyo but in the pre-Big Mac days I grew up eating in these places. Dr. Brown's Cream, please. Mike you are right, they used to be so common you didn't need to list them.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 01-24-2003).]

That reminds me of White Castle burgers, we use to call them Sliders. My friend Marty, (worked the Illinois Pavilion) would say about White Castle, "You could swear it was food".

quote:

Originally posted by Hoodlock:

...White Castle burgers, we use to call them
Sliders
..."You could swear it was food".

restChain_RestaurantsWhite_Castle1-resized200.gif

[*]White Casket

[*]Murder Burgers

[*]Whitey One-Bites

[*]Belly Bombers

Gad! There were 100 more slurrs of White Castle and I cannot remember them.

I do though remember the stainless steel tables and seats, baked enamel walls and a drain mid-floor. They must've hosed the whole place down @ 4:30a.m. or something.

Seemed like forever 'til I heard my little blue # ticket called. http://www.epinions.com/content_1743195712...24/show_~allcom

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 01-25-2003).]

White Castle is still big out here, with many new "units" being built. But a few are still in their original enameled-steel "castles".

Yep, we called 'em sliders.

quote:

Originally posted by Park Bench:

Randy
?

Have you seen or do you have the '64-65 Automat Post Card with
NYWF
mention???

(If so, state your address-bed time-and where you stow it!
rolleyes.gif
)

da'bench

Automats.jpg

There is a castle White Castle on Route 17 in either Carlstadt or Rutherford (southbound)NJ about a 10 minute drive from NYC. It's not that old though. 1980's vintage.

Mary Ellen,

That White Castle is about 10 minutes from my apartment. It's probably in Wood-Ridge, NJ. I am always tempted to stop there, but I never do because the food is so unhealthy.

Liz

Went to a Superbowl party yesterday. Someone broaght a "Crave Case". It's a carboard suitcase filled with White Castles. What a huge hit!

In high School we used to call White Castle -Casa De Blanca (No, I'm not spanish and didn't grow up in a hispanic area) - it was just a classier sounding name.

Gone, But not forgotten (by me, anyway) Wetson's Hamburgers, Longchamps, Childs, The Cattlemen, The Auto Mat (GM Building), and Mr. Waffles Ice Cream on 8th street! I also remember the Indian Pavilion's restaurant. I think it was operated by Gaylord's.

I remember eating in a resturant somewhere in the city that was full of real cars...on the ceiling, on the walls, on the floor and the tables where in the cars to eat - what/where was that?