Sign in to follow this  
Plumber

Food vendors??

Of all the many food vendors at the fair, have any survived to today? Does anyone know of any vendor still in business, and if so where are they located. I seem to recall a steak house very close to the Wisconsin pavilion (if not in it) that filled the midway with the smoky aroma of charred beef. I also remember how after waiting in the line for close to an hour, the meat was tougher than Superman's cape. I still would like to know if anyone else remembers the fried ice cream vendor.

Plumber?

You are talking about Tads Steaks at the Wisconsin. Tads Steak houses were also at the 1939 Worlds Fair.

Tads is still around NYC. And I believe the STEAKS from both fairs are around as well rolleyes.gif

Yeah, Tad's Steak House. I used to eat there in the 60's, in Manhattan. As I recall, steaks were $1.19, including a potato. I don't remember if I ever went to Tads at the Fair.

Yes Larry and Plumber,

As of at least 3 months ago there were some NYC Tad's outlets at 42nd St near 6th Ave.; 34th St. near 7th Ave.; and 14th St. near Park Ave. I went to one maybe in the 80's, I think @ 14th St, ...that was enough...

your pal,

da'Bench

Here's a link to a semi-complimentary review of Tad's Steak House of NYC:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/~cititour/cititours/eats/tads/tads.htm" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/~cititour/cititou...s/tads/tads.htm</a>

Google also turned up a Tad's in San Francisco although I don't know if there is any connection to the NYC Tad's.

Was Brass Rail a New York franchise? I believe there were Brass Rail restaurants at the 1939-40 NYWF as well, but was this a franchise one could find throughout the metro area? If so, does it exist today?

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 01-20-2003).]

The Brass Rail Organization, 511 Fifth Avenue, New York, had 5 restaurants at the '39 NYWF, and the restaurant at the U.S. Pavilion at the '58 Brussels WF. Production facilities at Idlewild Airport. Several restaurants at the terminals there. They were a BIG airline food supplier (Flight Kitchens). Dining facilities for corporate offices and industrial plants.

Had facilities at the L. I. State Parks. AND several restaurants and coffee shops throughout Manhattan.

Brass Rail is long gone, their NYC locations I believe closed during the '70s, caught between the onslaught of fast-food franchises on one side and the consolidation of middle-class "Old New York" restaurant chains like Schraffts, Childs, Longchamps, etc, within the Riese Organization on the other. Its parent organization (Interstate United) merged with Canteen Corp.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 01-20-2003).]

Speaking of "old school" NYC eateries...

How about that reincarnation of Nerichard's somewhere within Penn Station?!

Thanks for the information! I do remember Schraft's. In fact, they were noted for their ice cream and the only Schrafts outside of NYC was located in Syracuse. It closed about the time the other franchises folded. There is a very funny reference to Schrafts in the play/movie, "Auntie Mame."

Yessong- I make it my business to know where to get food cheap and fast!

Nerichards- Haven't been over to Penn Station yet but in their original lives I remember Nathan's as being better. Nerichard's selling point was a unique non-carb orange drink which the new version falls short according to the NYT . As both brands in Manhattan are now controlled by the Riese empire (along with Tad's Steaks), I expect they would today be similar when you get down to the dogs.

Tad's- The brand in New York is the same as SF but the menu and concepts evolved differently. Tad's NY is semi-fast-food while SF is a family restaurant like Outback.

For truly excellent franks in NYC try the independant Gray's Papaya or Papaya King on 86th Street and Lexington Ave.

I think there are still Schrafft's retail ice cream and perhaps candy brands around, which as you noted was their specialty. They featured elaborate candy displays where you entered the restaurant. One of the last vestiges of the 19th Century German restaurant dominance in Gotham when beer gardens, rathskellers and other Teutonic food places were as common as fast-food franchidses today

I am waiting for the return of Orange Julius-now that was real New York.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 01-22-2003).]

Was it Nerichards or Orange Julius that had that Orange-headed-running-winking-clerk hatted-logo guy?

Oh yeah- Papaya King 86th & Lex. - If it ever closes down it should be shipped lock, stock and shiny juice barrel to the Smithsonian!!!

How about Maestro's Pizza from the Fair?? Still around?

[This message has been edited by Park Bench (edited 01-21-2003).]

I had a hot dog at Nerichards last Fri night!Average - rather get a good old "Dirty Water Dog" from a guy on the street or one of those road-side trucks.

Orange Julius is now affiliated with Dairy Queen, and there are three locations left in the New York metro area:

Queen's Center

90-15 Queens Blvd

Elmhurst, NY 11373-4900

Dairy Queen®/Orange Julius®

Garden State Plaza

1 Garden State Plaza

Paramus, NJ 07652-2417

Dairy Queen®/Orange Julius® Treat Ctr

Woodbridge Center

250 Woodbridge Center Drive

Woodbridge, NJ 07095

http://www.orangejulius.com

The remaining Orange Julius outlet density here in the L.A. area is about the same unfortunately... BUT there is one about 3 miles from my house!

Randy

Was it Nerichards or Orange Julius that had that Orange-headed-running-winking-clerk hatted-logo guy?

I found this little story at http://www.hotbs.com/siqueiros/review1.html, which says both the Orange Julius franchise and the logo both came out of Venice, California.

Venice, according to the Halloween tour, also is responsible for literally sending out little devils to the rest of the country.

In the first half of the 20th century, a man named Harry Miller operated a successful sandwich-making business of Windward Avenue.

Just as Miller made plans to expand his business by adding a bakery, a forger was running around Venice writing bad checks, signingthem "Julius".

Miller, apparently, was fingered by someone as the forger and was hauled into the police station. He was cleared of the charges but in a fit of smirking humor decided to name his new store "Julius' Bakery".

It was here that Miller concocted the orange juice, milk and sugar drink that he called the Orange Julius, Alexander said. The drink was served in a cup with a little devil on it.

Although Orange Julius's current corporate parent has in recent years largely done away with the logo, the little devils from Venice flashed their grins in shopping malls across the nation for decades.

I'd like to put in a plug for Luchow's, the greatest German restaurant in America! R.I.P.

I remember Shrafft's, on our summer visits, and received their candy occasionally in the mail, gifts from NY relatives. And Chock Full-O-Nuts was everywhere in NY in the 60's.

Oh Mike!! Be still, my palate!!! Chock Full of Nuts had the BEST cream cheese and raisin bread sandwiches!!! That's a blast from my childhood growing up in NYC!!!

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 01-22-2003).]

Liz those sandwiches were great. Right up there with the Elvis favorite fried peanut butter & bannana sandwich. (don't knock it until you try it)

Okay, so...

[*]Orange Julius was the Orange devil guy logo. So Nerichard's must have been the "Orange-headed-running-winking-clerk hatted-logo guy"?

[*]What was the story of Maestros Pizza before and after the Fair? I have heard/read people recall the Pizza as a fond Fair memory. (one MP location was near the Mormon and Festival of Gas [teehee, but true])

[*]The restaurateur behind the Irish Pavilion continued in Queens with "Patricks Pub & Cafe", 25212 Northern Blvd. A few documents and a framed Time-Life NYWF map are displayed with owners other career milestones in the pub's hallways.

[*]I remember reading in I think "Fair News" that the chef (and restaurateur?) formerly of the Spanish Pavilion are at "Marbella Restaurant", 22033 Northern Blvd. That is IN the ADRIA Hotel where some World's Fair Collectors sales are held in Queens.

Interesting thread Plumber! We haven't looked into the food vendor topic before...

I believe it was Mastro Pizza- not Maestro. I do not recall this operating locally in the NYC area. Pizza was then and remains primarily a Mom-and Pop business locally, despite some inroads from Domino's,Pizza Hut, etc.

Mike, inevitably Luchow's was bought out by the Riese people who retain the rights to the name. The good thing about them though is that sooner or later they usually reintroduce concepts to see if there is interest. Luchow's like Toots Schor's and Lindy's (other Riese recreations) may well live again-or more accurately some facsimile of it.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 01-22-2003).]

Just an aside to the Orange Julius thing. A frat brother from eons ago, bought several OJ franchise sites. He was required to purchase the "special mix powder" from the parent company. Seems the company wanted a goodly price for the stuff, and after several hours of experimentation, it was determined that the following recipe was an exact match.

4 oz. orange juice with pulp

2 oz. tap water

3 tablespoons of Original flavor Coffeemate®

1 tablespoon confectionares sugar

10 seconds in a blender on high

Wallah! O Julius at home. I never have gotten around to trying it, but here it is should you like to be the guinea pig.

Plumber

There is a web site that lists the "most secret" recipes in American restauranting, and KFC (11 herbs & spices) is #1- supposedly locked in an underground vault in Kentucky, and Orange Julius is #2.

There are zillions of web sites purporting to have perfected a home grown version of the recipe, always citing proof being a 'taste test'. Something of a cottage hobby I guess.

In fact if you do a google search on 'Orange Julius', you'll come up with a lot more recipe re-creation sites than historical sites, collectibles sites, or corporate sites.

Funny how very few of these recipes are exactly the same.

Me- I could care less whether it exactly duplicates the original- if it's good it's good! Who knows- maybe better than the original.

Randy