Expo 70 - 3d film

18 posts in this topic

That make two weeks the expo '67 project is finish, and now, it's time for me to start the next project about Osaka Expo'70.

Only 3 years after Montréal, this expo of Osaka will be also in the film, this expo is surely one of the most incredible for many reasons... it's an universal exposition, first in Asia, and the biggest number of visitors of the world's fairs history with 62 millions (with 97% of Japaneses), until the Shanghai Expo 2010 !

The Montreal Expo'67 was a very good example for Osaka.

The place choose was Suita, a satellite city of Osaka, in the Kansaï country, on the Honshü island.

The expo ran from marcj 13 to septembre 13, 1970 with the main theme !

"Progress and harmony for mankind"

Since the Brussels Expo'58, expos have their own symbols... for Expo'70, that was the cherry flower, symbol of Japan, also inspiration source for the japan pavilion, with its 5 satellites.

This symbole represent the 5 continents, with in the center the rising sun of the japan flag.

As for the Montréal expo, that was a General Exposition of First Category, on a site of 330 hectares, with 228 only for exhibitions.

The main realization of this expo was the Theme Pavilion, situated in the Symbol Area, mainly constituted by the Harmony Plaza et the Tower of Sun.

Above, the Symbol Area, that will be my choice for this new 3d film (6th for the BIE). The choice was evident, because the thematics pavilions are all on this long place since the theater to the expo tower.

I will interesting by this Expo Tower, but I don't think to have time, and not easy to integrate in the film... (that will be for an another project then).

I will work only on the Symbole Area, but without the Expo Theater, the Fine Arts Museum and the Rose Garden (lack of documents and interests).

I will do only the Festival Plaza wich was thye international forum of the Expo to promote exchanges and friendship among all peoples, without distinction of race or nationality.

This Festival Plaza was covered by agiant roof, made with steels structures with a polyester cover. At this time, this roof was the larger of the world, with a weight of 6,000 tons !

The Tower of the Sun passing through it, symbolizes about human-defying technic. The Tower of the Sun will be preserved after exposure, still visible in Osaka:

Harmony Plaza

In this 3d film, the Tower of Sun and the Giant Roof will be completed by a simple environment, the Maternity Tower, with the large escalator wich come from the roof, and also the Youth Tower.

Youth Tower

Maternity Tower

I will come back soon with other details wink.gif

That's it, I live! I finally started modeling this 6th project of Osaka Expo'70.

As said yesterday, I start with thematics pavilion of the Symbol Area, and with the biggest part, the Giant Roof.

Now, the first of the 6 pilars :

This circular base will be not visible because catched under the Festival Plaza ground.

These pillars, fitted with pistons that have helped raise the roof of 6000 tons assembled on the ground.

The characters can give the real scale of this birg construction.

This frame reaches 30 meters tall (not counting either the circular base, or the portion of the roof)

I'll be back on the details forming part of the Osaka Expo '70 that I return in images ...

We will start with technical details ... then come as and when the project's progress.

Symbole Area :

Centered on the Main Entrance, Symbol Area extended from north to south for a distance of about 150 meters and a length of 1,000 meters. North of this entrance is the Place des Festivals, the Tower of the Sun, the Theme Pavilion, the Floating Stage, Theatre and the Museum of Fine Arts Expo. To the south stood the International Bazaar, Expo Club and the Tower of the Expo.

Symbol Area consisted of three main divisions. The first consisted of the Place des Festivals, the Tower of the Sun, the Theme Pavilion, the Floating Stage, Theatre and the Museum of Fine Arts Expo, and was so devoted to the exhibition theme, entertainment and ceremonies. The second, which was responsible for facilitating the flow of visitors, included the main entrance, an escalator and the central platform. The International Bazaar, which included restaurants and souvenir shops, was the third. It contained a huge raised platform that served both observation deck and place of rest.

These three divisions, although separated from each other and located at different levels were designed to appear as a unified central facility, with the heart the Place des Fêtes. The latter was visible from the terraces of the cafeteria, as well as the Tower of the Sun, since the treadmill and the central platform. The resulting visual continuity gave viewers a sense of integration.

Festival Plaza :

Place des Festivals, the liveliest part of the Symbol Zone, consisted of the Grand Toit, the Tower of the Sun and the Theme Pavilion.

The Great Roof :

The top of the roof covering the Grand Place Christmas was at 30.11 meters above the ground. It was a structure of interwoven steel tubes with a width of 108 meters and a length of 290 feet, topped with translucent panels: the largest "air frame" in the world.

This Grand Toit could accommodate thousands of visitors, in addition to sound and lighting equipment used for programs in the Festival Plaza. It also contained suspended objects, constituting part of the theme.

They had adopted for its construction method with a double layer mesh. Frames of 10.8 square meters of sides, formed of steel tubes, were assembled lattice. The entire roof was supported by six pillars.

Three types of steel tubing, electrically welded tubes, pipes and tubes molded cylindrical centrifuge, an outer diameter of 500 or 350 mm, were used for its construction. Ball joints, steel casting Special tubes joined at various angles. Most of the time, the ball joints with a diameter of 800 mm were used. Those at the top of the pillars measured 1.000 mm (900 in some places). The thickness of the ball joints was 50 mm. They reached the total number of 639.

The ball joints and steel tubes were fixed together with bolts of a large diameter, made of steel and chrome-nickel steel chrome molybdenum.

The frame weighed 3,320 tonnes and 884 tonnes pillars, totaling 4,204 tons. The weight of various loads, such as roof panels, and the pipeline infrastructure Pavilion Theme weighed all 5,285 tons, which brought the total weight of the assembly to 9489 tons. The upper roof was covered with pneumatic panels consisting of several layers of polyester film. Some layers were designed to withstand the heat, while the other function was to resist the bad weather. In case of storm or rain, the pressure supported by the BDF air increased.

This is not all about the Great Roof, but must still show was on its progress:

This is not all about the Great Roof, but must still show was on its progress:

Finally we see the famous Great Roof, which would be really awesome

Imagine, 290 of 108 meters, another great piece!

Roof that rises to over 30 meters, non-standard sizes!

The hole in the roof-will therefore get the top of the Tower of the Sun.

This "hole" at the top of the roof was bordered by a circular walkway, which allowed the visitor to the pavilion, to tour the Tower of the Sun.

To recall, was reached within the Grand Toit having climbed the Tower of the Sun ...

The descent was not far from the bridge circular, with a giant escalator, leading into the Tower of Motherhood.

This is not major update, but yet these staircases added to the pillars supporting the Great Roof are also a feat of complexity and nesting.

...which is far from facilitating the life of one who models all that ! laugh.gif

Now Big Roof - plexiglass cover and accessories :

Following of the modelization...

...with the addition of coating structures and plexiglass bubble, and accessories that are within.

Setting up access to the circular platform for a tour of the Tower of the Sun. Access will be connected to large escalator.

Now it really starts to resemble the model, although still lacking the famous Tower of the Sun

To the back, above the Place des Festivals ...

...with the necessary accessories for shows.

And a quick glance, seen from above.

The next step is to make the base of the square, with different access, and the silo to the base of the tower.

Few days ago, I gave some explanations on the Big Roof Osaka '70, here's a supplement, especially with regard to its realization.

Establishment of the Big Roof:

The frame of the roof was built on the ground, then put in place by pneumatic cylinders rented De Long Co., a U.S. company. The binding of two pneumatic cylinders, installed vertically in each of the six pillars of an external diameter of 1803 mm, allowed to increase the power lift. A special pipe was installed so that the six pairs of synchronized jacks, keep the roof from horizontal. Shock absorbers were placed between the frame and the cylinders so as to distribute the tension between all the frames in elevation.

The Great Roof was raised gradually to a height of approximately 30 meters. Work began June 14, 1969. The frame was first placed on a temporary basis by two pairs of pneumatic cylinders located on the east and west. The elevation work itself began on June 23 It lasted 48 days. Many architects, engineers and officials of the Expo came to watch the show every day of this operation, unprecedented in Japan.

The Great Roof was on average 80.1 mm at each stroke of the jacks shot which required an average 12.24 minutes. Raising the roof height of 30 meters necessitated 354 strokes of cylinders for 14 days and a total running time of 73 hours. The total rise was recorded in millimeters 28355.4.

The Great Roof, as well as the esplanade of the Place des Fêtes used for exhibition and for the administration, the Tower of the Sun and the section as Heaven and Earth Theme Pavilion, which included a modern city, were intended to inspire urban planners and architects.

Many technical problems had to be resolved before the end elevation. However, engineers, highly skilled, proved equal to the task, which could thus be accomplished.

The construction of facilities at the Place des Fêtes necessitated 25,000 cubic meters of concrete, 1,280 tonnes of steel bars and 4,990 tons of steel frames.

Now to the result of the realization 3d ... Always modeling:

Location of the base of the Tower of the Sun, below the Symbol Zone.

The Grand Staircase and escalators leading from the main entrance to the Zone.

Main entrance with access to the station of the Expo Express, and access to the monorail station.

Total view of the Symbol Zone: Station, Main Entrance Zone, Symbol, Festivals Plaza.

Platforms Symbol Zone, with the Big Roof.

Next step, Festivals Plaza, with its access, these bleachers, accessories for spectacles.

Note, the covered galleries on each side of the Symbol Zone.

Work Osaka '70 continues ... I spend the time on the Tower of the Sun, to go directly to the rear portion of the Symbol Zone, Place des Festivals, or Place des Festivals, which here's a photo taken during construction:

This site during the 183 days of exposure will have lent its part in a program of colorful parades, concerts and magazines worldwide.

It can accommodate 27 000 spectators in total. Lighting and sound are controlled by a giant robot, I also realize that. It is also the only animated thing in the film. I'd be tempted by the monorail, but there was already minirail the Expo '67 in the previous movie!

Now 3D images of the construction :

Turning now to the rear portion of the Symbol Zone, between the Tower of Sun and the Theatre.

Development of the Place des Festivals, with the main stands and the gallery.

And here's the curious floating platform elevated.

I could not reproduce accurately accesses that were made from the back, for lack of sufficient documentation.

Grandstands and machinery attached to the Big Roof.

Overview of the Festival Plaza.

View from the bridge that runs right of the Symbol Area.

We have just seen the completion of key structures that make up the Symbol Area, now it's time to see the symbols themselves!

In first, some explanations:

Facilities Exhibition Theme :

Theme Tower, located on a central platform of the Place des Festivals, was in the Tower of the Sun, well above the height of the Great Roof, and two smaller all sides of the latter, named respectively Tower Motherhood and the Youth Tour.

Tower of the Sun was a reinforced concrete building 68 meters high, extending out two major "arms". She had three "faces the sun, the golden face, or Mask of the Sun, which had been a symbol of Expo 70, measuring 11.60 meters in diameter. It was a collection of frames and steel plates. Its surface was coated with a film Scotchal. During the day, it shone brightly, reflecting natural light, and night, two xenon headlamps of 3.6 kW, installed in the eyes darted brilliant rays.

The interior of the Tower of the Sun played the role well the connection between the basement and the exposure between sky and earth. Visitors entering the ground floor. Four escalators led them to a plateau 26 meters above the ground. Escalators inside the "arm" to reach the summit. From there, people borrowed a passage connecting the tower at the Grand Toit and were in the Exposure section between Heaven and Earth Theme Pavilion, located above the ground.

The Tower of Motherhood, observation deck from a height of 5 meters, affected the shape of a bowl symbolizing a mother's love overflowing. On the terrace, visitors could enjoy the view, watching the crowd from above and rest. The Tower also served as a connecting section for escalators linking the plaza central to exposure above the ground.

Tower of Youth stood between the platform and the Grand Toit. Its shape, symbolic of youthful energy, was that of a needle. It measured 22.90 meters and 0558 meters in diameter. Six modern sculptures, painted in colors symbolizing the living and dynamic energy, beauty, innocence and aspirations of youth, were attached to the tower made of steel tubing.

Time for modeling :

Tower of the Sun from all angles ... I love it!

The three towers of the Symbol Area, met: the Tower of motherhood left, with its escalator down to the Great Roof, after be mounted through the Tower of the Sun. Right, the Tower of Youth, assembling various sculptures.

The three towers positioned in the area of the Symbol.

Integration of all the remaining element.

The head of the Tower, just above.

The people who visit the Tower of the Sun, clamber through several escalators and discovered the Tree of Life, the output is in the Great Roof, through the right arm of the Tower ( at left in the image).

View of the circular balcony, and the connection to borrow for the escalator down to the Tower of motherhood, however, not unlike a tower!

Tower of Youth doesn't look like a real tower. What Japanese original imaginations!

Last steps about the modeling Expo'70 :

Here are the essential element of the Festival Plaza, outside seating and stage, the robot that serves both in animation presentations, illumination and sound.

Behind the Festival Plaza, is the Theatre and the Museum of Fine Arts.

Located at the north end of the Symbol Zone, it is just behind the Rose Garden of Peace.

On this view of the Symbol Zone, I added a few pavilions that are visible in the background: Germany, France, Korea, China, Indonesia, New Zealand, Textiles, Crafts Museum Japan, OECD, Chemistry Ricoh, Kodak, IBM, Kubota, Steel, Mitsubishi, Japan, Rainbow Tower ...

Symbol Zone, modeling completed.

The main entrance.

The main entrance..

The sculpture of the Tower of Youth.

Behind the Tower of Sun, overlooking the Festivals Plaza, in the foreground, the towers of speakers.

The north main entrance to the exit of the monorail station.

On aperçoit en premier plan le monorail de l'expo, et la gare sur la gauche

In the background, between the station and the Grand Toit, one sees the flag of Korea.

Tribune viewed from the floating platform elevated.

Festival Plaza, Stage, robot, bleachers, and gallery.

Of course, the project continue... I've well started texturing... not all is finished but soon I think.

And when the symbol area was finished, it will remain me integrate the background pavilion, and the crowd.

During the day, it shone brightly, reflecting natural light, and night, two xenon headlamps of 3.6 kW, installed in the eyes darted brilliant rays.

Yes thanks Randy, I will try to give a good effects to his eyes dry.gif

The second photo is really beautiful !

Replaced the "night eyes" scan with a better one.

And here is one more view of it:

Textures are almost finished, just remain the environment pavilion, and crowd...

Looking really great!

A couple of photos to help with the people texturing....

...this one is similar to your photo....

And here is a bonus!

"Inside the Tower of the Sun piercing through the grand roof of the Theme Hall is the Tree of Life, an artistic conception of the evolution of mankind."

My name is Tessa Vandewalle and I'm an architecture student in Belgium.

For a project my teacher asked me to draw the Big Roof (Expo '70) in 3D.

I was wondering if you could give me the groundplans and sections you used to draw your model, so I can make my own?

If you want to send your own model to me, that would also be great. But eventually I will draw my own in my own drawing progam Autocad.

I want to start drawing tomorrow, so I hope you can find the time today to send them to my e-mailadress: tessa_vandewalle@msn.com.

Thanks a lot for the help! :)

Yours sincerely,

Tessa Vandewalle

I just sent you some contact information for Lemog, who did the model. We'd like to see the result when you finish your project. Good luck!