lemog

photo album 1939 SF

61 posts in this topic

Randy : The Caine Mutiny is also very known here in France, but Charlie Chan at Treasure Island is totally unknown for me ! mellow.gif

Jim : thanks for the explanation about Sally Rand ! cool.gif

albamat39_sf_021_800.jpg

#21 - Court of Pacifica

albamat39_sf_022_800.jpg

#22 - Court of Pacifica

albamat39_sf_023_800.jpg

#23 - Court of Reflections and Tower of Sun

albamat39_sf_024_800.jpg

#24 - Brazil pavilion

albamat39_sf_025_800.jpg

#25 - Tower of Sun

I just finished watching an early morning presentation of The Caine Mutiny (1954) on TCM.

At the end of the movie, the 'courtroom' set has windows which show the Bay Bridge and Yerba Buena Island right outside. I suspected this 'courtroom' might actually be inside the GGIE Administration building, which was the headquarters building on an active Navy base at the time of the filming of The Caine Mutiny.

So, I did a little research. The book upon which the movie is based places the trial in the General Court-Martial Room of the Twelfth Naval District, San Francisco. I checked, and the headquarters of the Twelfth Naval District was on Mare Island, not Treasure Island.

However, I checked a little further as to the production history of the film. The producers had great difficulty getting Navy Department cooperation for the filming. But in the end they got some.... some destroyers were loaned for action 'at-sea' filming sequences... and the film crews were allowed to use..... ta-da !!!....... Naval Station Treasure Island... a location which didn't even make an appearance in the book.

Here is actor E.G. Marshall, playing the part of the prosecutor, in front of the windows inside the Administration building, overlooking the causeway between Treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island with the Bay Bridge looming in the background.

CaineMutiny39.jpeg

I checked in IMDb's database of film locations, and The Caine Mutiny is the only film in their entire database listing Naval Station Treasure Island as a location. Of course we now know that the same building appeared in the Indiana Jones movie, but that was long after the U.S. Navy had left the island.

BEFORE the Navy took over, of course the movie Charlie Chan at Treasure Island was filmed at the GGIE itself, in 1939.

The GGIE Administration Building was also used as the facade of a hotel in the 1998 remake of "The Parent Trap."

Thanks Randy, you make a lot for my english courses ! biggrin.gif

For this series, only the last need more explanations biggrin.gif

albamat39_sf_026_800.jpg

#26 - Pacific Area

albamat39_sf_027_800.jpg

#27 - Pacific Area

albamat39_sf_028_800.jpg

#28 - California Area Buildings - Mission Trails

albamat39_sf_029_800.jpg

#29 - California Area Buildings - California State - San Francisco - Missions Trails

albamat39_sf_030_800.jpg

#30 - Somewhere in the Gayway ? or ?

Picture #30 may have been at a Gayway attraction called Midget Village.

The last series...

Dernière série... snif, c'est assez rare de trouver des photos de cette expo...

albamat39_sf_031_800.jpg

#31 - Norway's Ski Lodge

albamat39_sf_032_800.jpg

#32 - Netherland Indies

albamat39_sf_033_800.jpg

#33 - At right, Denmark pavilion

albamat39_sf_034_800.jpg

#34 - Tower of Sun, by night

albamat39_sf_035_800.jpg

#35 - Argentina pavilion

I watched the DVD of "Charlie Chan at Treasure Island" a few days ago. The DVD has an added 15 minute feature on "The Real Treasure Island" giving some brief history of the island and the fair.

To me, no part of the movie itself appears to be filmed at Treasure Island, but aerial and background footage is used and apparently was inserted as rear-projection process shots as needed in a few places.

On 11/25/2010 at 7:52 AM, expoboy said:

You've got sharp eyes. I didn't even notice that. One of the buildings in the California complex suffered a major fire near the end of the fair's second season. My guess is this photo is post -fire.

Expoboy:

The building that burned was the California Auditorium, not the California State Building. The building shown in the photo is the California State Building (during the demolition period), attached by the circular court at the right to the City of San Francisco Building. The California Auditorium was located across the Court of the Nations from the California State Building. Both California buildings were located on each side of the Federal Building, facing the Lake of the Nations. (See map below)

1939Map.jpg