lemog

photo album 1939 SF

63 posts in this topic

More GGIE trivia:

It's well known that Treasure Island was turned into a Navy Base during World War II. The commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral Nimitz, became very familiar with the island.

When he became rather feeble in his last years, he decided to move with his wife into the base commander's house there, with its spectacular views of San Francisco Bay. He died in this house in 1966. It's actually on Yerba Buena Island, attached to Treasure Island by a short causeway.

3242162737_79816c3593_z.jpg

albamat39_sf_016_800.jpg

#16 - Festival Hall

albamat39_sf_017_800.jpg

#17 - Pagoda in Homeland

albamat39_sf_018_800.jpg

#18 - The Redwood Empire Building

albamat39_sf_019_800.jpg

#19 - Lake of the Nations and main buildings by night

albamat39_sf_020_800.jpg

# 20 - El Salvador pavilion

I suspect #17 was one of the buidings in the Chinese Village.

I suspect #17 was one of the buidings in the Chinese Village.

It's of course possible, but I can't find this house in the aerial view... and houses in the chinese village seem very close, no ?

cpa_chinese_village.jpg

Here, we have much place around...

I tried to read what is wrote on the house at left, it's small and I'm not sure at all...

chili.jpg

I read " chili con carne " ? laugh.gif (and not welcome in china... dry.gif )

Do you read like me ?

The word on the right looks like WAFFLES.

Yes, I'm also ok for the waffles !

Mexican Waffles and Belgium Chili... it's certainly a good help laugh.gif

Mexican Waffles and Belgium Chili... it's certainly a good help laugh.gif

It's a typical mixture in California. :)

Japan also had a pavilion at this expo.

While the building in the foreground is not the main pavilion building for either Japan or China, it could be a secondary building at either one. I leaned toward China because it was a 'Village' (many buildings).... not so sure about Japan's displays.

By the way, #14 is the Japan Pavilion.

Here are some more pictures of it:

card00468_fr.jpg

175.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

ja19.jpg

Here is the Phillipines building:

107.jpg

Here is another map for our GGIE map collection....

GGIE_caricature_map.jpg

I believe we've found #17.

GGIE_pagoda.jpg

On the maps this building is not specifically named, but the area is called "Homeland".

On the big map it says Homeland* (*see reverse side for details) :D

ahhh, the age of the internet... we seldom have the reverse side of anything.

In the aerial picture the roofline certainly seems to match, as well as all the angles toward the big Sun tower and the surrounding walls.

Also, I think your picture #18 is labeled location #12 on the Shell Oil company map, near the Hall of Western States.

On the Shell map, look at location #9.

The Western Pine Association model home.

It was located right where the white blotch is, on your aerial photo.... right across from Chili & Waffles.

Anyway, this house still exists today! It was taken by barge across the bay, then trucked across San Francisco.

Read the story here:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-01-11/real-estate/17406198_1_treasure-island-economic-depression-light-filled-house

I found this description of the 'Homeland' area at the GGIE:

Outside the building in the plaza to the east, were full-scale

model homes, completely furnished. These included the metal

home, with double walls for insulation, covered with a pumice

and cement combination, and without dust-collecting corners

anywhere, all wall intersections being rounded. Then there was

the model home of Western pine, with its gleaming white, blue-

trimmed construction set off to advantage in a flower-bordered

lawn. Just beyond was a nursery exhibit and, adjoining, a steel-

frame home, scientifically planned and beautifully furnished.

And of course chili and waffles to eat while lookey-looing through all these model homes. :P

... as well as all the angles toward the big Sun tower and the surrounding walls.

Awesome details Randy... yes I agree, it's the good place.

I was very disturbed by the building behind !

The Caricatour Map is nice... I don't see a drawing for Sally Rand Nude laugh.gif

Finally, this expo will come to be very familiar !

The Caricatour Map is nice... I don't see a drawing for Sally Rand Nude laugh.gif

Between the roller coaster and the balloons, there is a girl wearing a gigantic white 'ten gallon cowboy hat'. Anything else she may or may not be wearing is strategically hidden by the artist. B)

By the way, this map was drawn by the same woman, Ruth Taylor, who did the official map... her name is at the bottom.

On this one:

"(Danger, Keep Out, Symon Bros. 1435 Market St. ?)"

I imagine that's a sign from the demolition contractors. They were a wrecking company.

By the way, this map was drawn by the same woman, Ruth Taylor, who did the official map... her name is at the bottom.

I realy appreciate this kind of map...

On this one:

"(Danger, Keep Out, Symon Bros. 1435 Market St. ?)"

I imagine that's a sign from the demolition contractors. They were a wrecking company.

Ok... that seem logical now wink.gif Thanks...

Randy-- the Japanese Pavilion (or at least part of it) still exists as well-- as a private home that was featured on an episode of the great PBS series THE HISTORY DETECTIVES.

HISTORY DETECTIVES - Japan House

Ah yes, Gilroy- garlic capital of the world! (you'll see what I mean if you ever drive through town with the windows rolled down.) An amazing place.

Gilroy is quite a way from Treasure Island- not just a hop, skip and jump.

---------------------

Speaking of history TV series. One week ago today (and tomorrow) one of this PTU board's frequent contributors was starring in a pilot for a new series on the History Channel, with the pilot episode being filmed right there in FMCP. Don't know yet, of course, whether it will be picked up as a series or not by the network, but at least they've got a pilot episode 'in the can'. (I presume nothing goes in cans any more, but it's a term that's so irresistable-- haha)

Last week's video shoot wasn't communicated beforehand to the public here on this board... maybe the producers didn't want a big crowd of people out at FMCP for the event.

In any case, reports are that it was freezing cold out at the park but our PTU member was a trooper, desperately hoping for the director to say 'cut' so the designated 'blanket man' could put blankets over the on-camera talent once more before they turned into popsicles :D .

I don't know anything about the script for the pilot (other than it had something to do with the '64-65 NYWF), or even what the premise of the show is. But that it is being targeted for the History Channel is a plus.

And that, dear Randy, is what we call in the business... "A TEASE."

Hope to see it soon!

I just finished watching an early morning presentation of The Caine Mutiny (1954) on TCM.

At the end of the movie, the 'courtroom' set has windows which show the Bay Bridge and Yerba Buena Island right outside. I suspected this 'courtroom' might actually be inside the GGIE Administration building, which was the headquarters building on an active Navy base at the time of the filming of The Caine Mutiny.

So, I did a little research. The book upon which the movie is based places the trial in the General Court-Martial Room of the Twelfth Naval District, San Francisco. I checked, and the headquarters of the Twelfth Naval District was on Mare Island, not Treasure Island.

However, I checked a little further as to the production history of the film. The producers had great difficulty getting Navy Department cooperation for the filming. But in the end they got some.... some destroyers were loaned for action 'at-sea' filming sequences... and the film crews were allowed to use..... ta-da !!!....... Naval Station Treasure Island... a location which didn't even make an appearance in the book.

Here is actor E.G. Marshall, playing the part of the prosecutor, in front of the windows inside the Administration building, overlooking the causeway between Treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island with the Bay Bridge looming in the background.

CaineMutiny39.jpeg

I checked in IMDb's database of film locations, and The Caine Mutiny is the only film in their entire database listing Naval Station Treasure Island as a location. Of course we now know that the same building appeared in the Indiana Jones movie, but that was long after the U.S. Navy had left the island.

BEFORE the Navy took over, of course the movie Charlie Chan at Treasure Island was filmed at the GGIE itself, in 1939.

Great to see the sign for Sally Rand. In the 1970's she told a wonderful story to Studs Terkel for his book, Hard Times. She recalls how she was out of work in 1933 and things were very bad in Chicago. She remembers she was horrified at photographs in the society section of the Tribune that highlighted wealthy women attending formal events when so many were standing on bread lines. In any event, she needed work and on the eve of the opening of A Century of Progress, she simply showed up at one of the gates riding a horse as Lady Godiva. She was quickly granted admittance and found work in the amusement section of the exposition just as the fair opened. As she recalled, the men at the gate just assumed that a naked women on a horse asking to be let into the exposition certainly HAD to be a part of the fair. So, she got in and the rest ("the Rand is quicker than the eye") is history and clearly, she took her show on the road after Chicago.