lemog

photos taken by visitors

30 posts in this topic

Not great shots, but anyway full of life, because taked by visitors of Expo 58... hope you like anyway.

ph_ama_49_atomium_800.jpg

Atomium

ph_ama_50_thailande_800.jpg

Thailand

ph_ama_51_espagne_800.jpg

Spain

ph_ama_52_cheval_bayard_800.jpg

Horse of Bayard

ph_ama_53_hymne_bresilien_800.jpg

Brazilian anthem

ph_ama_53_stand_RTF_800.jpg

RTF (Radiodiffusion et télévision française)

ph_ama_54_pav_accueil_gp_800.jpg

Home pavilion

ph_ama_55_pav_francais_pilier_central_800.jpg

French pavilion, and central pilar

ph_ama_56_pav_grande_bretagne_800.jpg

Great Britain

ph_ama_57_atomium_800.jpg

Atomium

ph_ama_58_fanfare_bresil_garde_de_l_expo_800.jpg

Brazilian band and a guard of the exhibition

ph_ama_59_centre_de_la_RTF_800.jpg

RTF (Radiodiffusion et télévision française)

If you like, I have other series to scan dry.gif

Still some great shots not usually seen before!

In the first photo, what are we looking at in the foreground- the 'hills covered with gravel'? Are we up on the roof of some kind of building?

In the 4th photo, those are nice enlarged reproductions of the special Expo postage stamps issued by Belgium.

In the first photo, what are we looking at in the foreground- the 'hills covered with gravel'? Are we up on the roof of some kind of building?

That seem to be the roof of Télésiège Station.

In the 4th photo, those are nice enlarged reproductions of the special Expo postage stamps issued by Belgium.

yes, this is the first time I see them like that

Thanks for posting these.

The RTF photos are especially interesting to me. I can't tell if their cameras are aimed at a studio set or the general public, but they seem to be rather disorganized.

Thanks for posting these.

The RTF photos are especially interesting to me. I can't tell if their cameras are aimed at a studio set or the general public, but they seem to be rather disorganized.

I was sure of course...

More come today... rolleyes.gif

Following... but not the same photographer :

ph_ama_71_jardin_quatre_saisons_800.jpg

# 13 - Four Seasons garden, with some panties laugh.gif

ph_ama_70_jardin_quatre_saisons_800.jpg

# 14 - Basin of Four Seasons Garden.

ph_ama_69_jardin_quatre_saisons_800.jpg

# 15 - Four Seasons Garden

ph_ama_68_800.jpg

# 16 - Don't know exactly what is it ?

ph_ama_67_place_de_Belgique_800.jpg

# 17 - Belgium Place

ph_ama_66_atomium_800.jpg

# 18 - Pose for the photographer.

ph_ama_65_atomium_800.jpg

# 19 - Pose again for the photograph

ph_ama_64_carillon_pav_vatican_800.jpg

# 20 - In the background, bells and Vatican's pavilion.

ph_ama_63_pav_americain_800.jpg

# 21 - United States pavilion.

ph_ama_62_pav_urss_800.jpg

# 22 - USSR pavilion.

ph_ama_61_pav_thailande_800.jpg

# 23 - Thailand pavilion, with crowd !

ph_ama_60_fleche_pav_francais_800.jpg

# 24 - Arrow of the French pavilion.

I'll go backwards with comments & questions.

#24- Is that arrow what is held up by the central pillar picture in the first set? I'd been wondering about that central pillar since you posted it. It had looked designed to be a really strong anchor to counterbalance something, of a simiilar concept to the Civil Engineer structure, and this arrow looks like maybe it's the answer.

Also on #24 I see Swiss Timing 'Tic Tac'. Was this mounted on the top of the tram's tug?

A natural progression to 1964.... Swiss Timing provided official clocks for the World's Fair then too.... and Seiko provided a mobile time display robot named 'Tic Toc' who gave away free Seiko watches to lucky winners.

#23- Thailand Pavilion had an exit (probably) or entrance in lower left of the photo. Was the lower section exhibit areas, or bathrooms? Can the sign next to the door be read on your original (at higher resolution) ? Part of it looks like one of those 'don't enter' circles, leading me to think it's an exit.

#21- the flags flying in front of the U.S. Pavilion- most people today could glance at it and say there is something different about it from today's American flag. It's because the stars are aligned differently. What we see in this photo is the 48-star flag. At the time this photo was taken, it had been America's flag for 46 years, but only had a few months left. In January 1959 the 49-star took its place, but for only 18 months. We've had a 50-star flag since July 1960- 50 years now! (But I don't remember any 50th anniversary celebration this year). This is the longest period in America's history for a single flag to represent the country. And it doesn't look there's anything on the horizon to change that. There was talk of adding Puerto Rico at one time, but that's kind of died down.

Anyway, nice picture showing the 48-star flag in one it's last hurrahs being displayed internationally.

#17- those tulips would be nice to be seen in color. :)

#16- looks like some kind of horticulture exhibit. It reminds me of the indoor Japanese village & garden at the White City expos in London.

#13- what are the people doing in this basin? Washing their hands after getting them dirty from picking the flowers? :) Or were there free giveaways in the basin and everybody was grabbing for them?

more on #16- if these are shown in the original sequence, it might be inside the building seen on the left in pictures #14 and #15. The building looks to be about the same size and shape, and an indoor horticulture exhibit next door to the Garden would make sense.

OK, on my official map for the 1958 Expo I was able to find what we see in #14.

There is the Pfaff building of course.

The building on the left is labeled Jacques. No explanation of what that is (a corporate exhibitor?), but it explains the trailing letters ES that we see in the photo.

And of course the garden in the foreground, which on the map is labeled Jardin flamand ("Flemish Garden"). The Garden has four sections on the map, so a section for each season I guess.

Now we would have to find out what was inside Jacques, whether it could be the horticulture show that we see in #16.

There were four buildings of similar size around this garden, labeled Jacques, Snack-Bar, Victoria, and Alimenta. And two smaller buildings, labeled Meurisse and Dexion.

I'll be really brave and guess that Snack-Bar had food in it. :D You guys can tackle the rest.

More about those buildings surrounding the garden:

Alimenta is an Italian company specializing in powdered sheep milk.

Pfaff (seen in picture #14) was a German sewing machine company. (we can see the sewing machine logo on the side of the building in the picture)

In 2000 It was bought by the Swedish VSM group which made Husqvarna Viking sewing machines. (VSM roughly equates to Viking Sewing Machines).

In 2006 VSM was bought by Kohlberg, which already owned the Singer sewing machine line, and the 3 lines were put under a new parent name- SVP. SVP stands for Singer, Viking, Pfaff. All 3 lines still carry their original brand names- Singer, Viking, and Pfaff.

Here is Meurisse, a Belgian chocolate manufacturer who had exhibited at many international expos over the years.

http://www.belgianshop.com/shop/en-us/dept_15.html

It seems unlikely that Alimenta, Pfaff, or Meurisse would have hosted the horticulture exhibit we see in #16, but who knows?

Further update:

Meurisse, Jacques, Cote d’Or and Victoria are all Belgian chocolate manufacturers who had pavilions at Expo '58.

Just great inervention Randy... now, I will post with much care laugh.gif

# 24 :

You've right, the arrow is effectively here to counterbalance the middle of the structure weight. The pavilion was built on a very soft ground, and only 3 points was used were the ground was a little bit harder.

It's not as for the Génie Civil arrow, where the ground was enough hard to used the Franki piles :

normal_wip_1958_Bruxelles_001_800.jpg

And it's also a television post-relay... and the french flag support !

Drawings, where the system is clearly visible :

1958_LM_14e_n06_177_a_800.jpg

1958_LM_14e_n06_177_b_800.jpg

1958_LM_14e_n06_177_c_800.jpg

1958_LM_14e_n06_176_b_800.jpg

About the clock, I'l not sure at 100%, but it seem to be mounted on the tram's tug... If you watch photos of the part of the expo... nothing is visible when the tram was not here.

# 23 : Im' ok with you, at left was certainly the exit. The original photo is not very large, then impossible to read what is wrote. But with the N&B aspect... ce round panel seem to be "red", wich concern the left exit... and the arrow at the top in stairs direction, was certainly "blue".

panel.jpg

# 21 : thanks for these informations.

#17- those tulips would be nice to be seen in color. - I think that was the same... bi-colors :

alb_expo58_07_640.jpg

#16- looks like some kind of horticulture exhibit. It reminds me of the indoor Japanese village & garden at the White City expos in London.

- The Japanes village appear as a good possiblity... look the little house... very Japanese in fact !

- The pavilion at left with the 2 last letters, "ES" is the "JACQUES" chocolates pavilion, just between Meurice (chocolate again) and Pfaff.

# 13 - It's maybe not a basin, but rather a sort of fountain. Look at the woman standing at left, she has in hand a bottle or a flask open !

Thanks Lemog!

A few pictures show the Belgian flag on top of the Atomium, but in most pictures there's no flag there.

Does anybody know why they would erect a flag up there on some days, but not others?

I don't know if a flag is ever flown up there today... there are thousands of photos out there on many websites and albums, and I don't recall ever seeing a flag on the top "atom".

Maybe that was for the National Day... july 21, communities days... and some other events mellow.gif

It's hard to guess what those people are reaching for in #13, but it seems that the basin or whatever it is was not planned to be used that way. Maybe a child dropped something and it is swirling down the drain?

Perhaps it's a source bubbling or small water jets, or something original where it's fun to put your hands, and women the opportunity to take water to cool her.

About the # 16, it's the Japanese Garden, I have an another shot where was visible geishas.

Oh my gosh..... I just discovered that the restaurant inside the U.S. Pavilion at Expo 58 in Brussels was run by...... Brass Rail !

image036.jpg

Here is a map of the Japan Pavilion & Garden

Brussels_58_Japanese_Garden.jpg

Here are some interesting recent photos of Expo 58's Japan Pavilion that I found on flickr.com

4821118938_bb1eb1bd47_z.jpg

4821108052_786578150b_z.jpg

4821058996_db495a5768_z.jpg

This one's for you Wayne. :)

1958 photo showing demonstration of color television in the United States Pavilion.

2850946948_1dbfb0d716_z.jpg

Are you sure about the recent Japonese pavilion of Expo 58 in Brussels ?

That seem to be the chinese house, just neat the Japanese tower... wich comes of the expo 1900... but rebuilt in 1905 I think...

462px-Tour_japonaise_01.JPG

Sorry, but what is "Brass Rail" ? huh.gif

was apparently misidentified as Japan from Expo 58 on flickr.com, misidentifications there are not unusual--- :D .....the color TV picture was identified as being the USSR pavilion....but there are many references that say the color TV was at the USA Pavilion.

Brass Rail was the concessionaire for all the snack bars at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair. I believe they were (and possibly still are) a New York-area restaurant chain.

This one's for you Wayne. :)

1958 photo showing demonstration of color television in the United States Pavilion.

2850946948_1dbfb0d716_z.jpg

Thanks. Is this from a negative? If you zoom in on the camera and expose for that part, you could probably see the RCA logo on the side.

Thanks. Is this from a negative? If you zoom in on the camera and expose for that part, you could probably see the RCA logo on the side.

Don't know if it's a slide or negative. Found it on flickr.com.

I tried enlarging what we have and re-sampling it, but it didn't yield anything as far as logos.