• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

Well, it's time to start the 5th 3d film for the BIE... the one about Expo 67.

I'm already late... it's the first film wich I'll start late... nothing dramatic for the moment.

As for the previous films, I must choose to rebuilt in 3d thematic pavilions...

The first choice was Man the Producer, on Notre-Dame island. This group of pavilions appear very 70', very original, futuristic, terribly fashion I Think...

Posted Image

An another place is also interesting, it's the Man in the Community, but shapes and especially materials make less 70'. Too much wood Posted Image

Also the environment appear less interesting.

Posted Image

After this first choice, I've finally change of place, change of island... for the Saint-Hélène island, with the 3 pavilions of Man the Explorer.
That give certainly something more clear, with more space.

Posted Image

For the start of the ride, I could use an another pavilion wich have much interest, the one of Expo67 Control Centre... where was all big computers... something very new in this kind of event ! a real revolution !
For this one, it's not very easy, due to the lack of documents and photos...

Posted Image

This pavilion permit to start the film of the Expo67 logo !

And after this pavilion, after the 3 pavilion of Man the Explorer, the film can finish just front of the Calder's Stabile.

Posted Image

During the ride, the Minirail will be visible to give life to the animation.

But for the moment, not enough documents and photos... well... much photos, but often not very detailed... and no blueprints.
I hope to be able to start this project before the end of september ! the 3d animation must be finished at the end of october... short... et hot Posted Image

#2 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

I have thousands of pictures of Expo 67. Let me know what you need.

#3 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

While waiting these thousands of pictures Posted Image I've decided anyway to start the project, with the part almost easier to begin.

The first sequence in the film will be inside the Control Center. In first, I planed to show computers... but even if I know the type of GE computer, I don't know exactly where that was in the building, the number, etc.
As I have many photos about the control room, finally, that will be the sequence choosen to illustrate the beginning of the computer era... to manage this kind of events.

Here's the first polygons :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Time for the update, with the external pavilon after inner parts. LIttle trick with the logo, in fact, there were two logos place in face, on of Expo 67 of course, but also the one of General Electric, but I can't put it here, no trademark in this film !

Posted Image

So, I located the control room here at the left of the stairs. On the rare original photographs, the curtains are lowered in time, which allows us to imagine that lies behind this room and avoid the sun to interfere with viewing screens.

Posted Image

Front of the building, the location should be minirail brackets.

Posted Image

The Control Centre as a whole. The roof is not detailed, for two reasons, the pictures where we see are taken from too far and can not accurately discern any detail! and the final film, we never see the top of the building, which is a more than valid reason ;-)

Posted Image

A final rendering for pleasure,
to the left of the Control Center will find the Centre Scouts ... whose achievement was not specifically planned, but as it's between this building and the pavilions of Man explorer, I don't see how I could go to not rebuild as well.

Posted Image

Behind the windows, we see the control room. But in the film, in contrast to that image, when the camera out of control center, the curtains are all down, as in reality ... Finally, I suppose.

Posted Image

And next ... we will minirail news ;)

#5 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Here's a shot of the map and monitors inside the room. You have most of this, but it looks like there was a clock over the map as well.

Posted Image

I continue to be amazed by these renderings.

#6 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Bill... just one word...

you're FANTASTIC Posted Image

that help me a lot Posted Image thanks to you, I will be able to be more precise !

#7 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

The eight monitors (four on each side of the big screen) look to be the standard shape of televisions of that time, but the big screen itself is rectangular. So I take it that that particular display (the map) was probably a rear projection slide transparency?

Interesting that the still camera was able to capture all the TV monitor pictures without any of them being out of synch.

#8 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

Did this control room actually have people working there? Or was it just for show, and those chairs were always empty?

#9 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

Same advice for the big screen... and I read the book of Yves Jasmin, (expo67 communication chief); he wrote that this map was more to show where there's a problem, and not to do real actions !

Empty chairs ? not at all... but I think they used more their phones, than hundreds buttons Posted Image

The minirail now ... and rails. At first view, there were several models of rail carriers, depending on the topology of the field, but also perhaps for aesthetic reasons, depending on the location of the expo.

Posted Image

Here the wagons "normal", there's 14. I don't know if there were exceptions, but on each picture where I had a complete train, there was this number of 14 midsize cars, plus a car engine head and a caboose.

Posted Image

Front view of a string of minirail. I noticed small differences in the lead car, particularly at what looks like a control box for this automatic train. Perhaps improvements or changes were made during Expo 67.
Posted Image

View the back.
Without being able to be 100% sure of that detail, including their location, I saw pictures on some kind of staples under the cars head and tail, to avoid shifting.

Posted Image

A last view of minirail a whole! Next step ... Scout Group.

Posted Image

#10 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

The eight monitors (four on each side of the big screen) look to be the standard shape of televisions of that time, but the big screen itself is rectangular. So I take it that that particular display (the map) was probably a rear projection slide transparency?

Interesting that the still camera was able to capture all the TV monitor pictures without any of them being out of synch.

My guess for the big screen is painted plastic or glass, perhaps with indicator lights behind?
Regarding the shots of the monitors, you can see lighter horizontal bars on a couple of them towards the top. It just means the photographer's camera was set at slower than 1/30 of a second to catch a whole scan (and a bit more). In 1967, the remote cameras probably had vertical sweep locked to the power line, and horizontal sweep free-running ("industrial sync") and otherwise were not locked to each other. Condensing multiple views onto a single screen would have been a distant dream. Recording would have been possible, but expensive and tedious, requiring manually changing tape reels every hour or two.

#11 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the precisions Wayne !

Following of modeling with a part that not very interesting for me, nor for the film.

This is the group of Scouts.

At documentation, not much interesting, some views from the sky, so far, is not what's best for the details and some photos and drawings. This group is located just between the Control Centre and the thematic pavilions, I can not help to achieve. Moreover, according to the frames of the final movie, I might be forced to model just a few other pavilions in background.

Posted Image

So I did as I could. Anyway, since it doesn't present a real interest in the film, the camera will run quickly (in the same time than the minirail), and we shouldn't see much, the stockade, and the summit of tent !

Posted Image

A final render on the big Scout tipi !
Tomorrow, I'd made some of these early renderingd, scouts group + minirail + control center ... just to keep the motivation!

Posted Image

#12 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:44 AM

Not a big update or true news... just some renderings with all pieces done, together...

good for the motivation ! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've started the next step, thematics pavilion... not very easy, even if the shape appear really simple.

#13 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

Around the main pavilion of this film, or rather three theme pavilions that make up man explorer. Here are some steps that illustrate the realisation.

Posted Image

These pavilions are quite simple in appearance, but without specific plans, they often prove to be a real headache to make. I think in the end I never got too bad out, and I managed to find the original assembly of thousands of tiles that covered the plywood surface.

Posted Image

Here it is fully assembled. We shall see later, when there's a walkway around and join these pavilions, they're all built from common components, an assembly of metal ladders forming trays, walls, partitions and other gateways.

Posted Image

This is actually a series of pavilions extremely modular, it has been possible to arrange at will, so to create the adequate space to each of the presentations or demonstrations.

Posted Image

Quoique d'une architecture résolument moderne et avant-gardiste, qui collait bien avec son époque, ces pavillons n'étaient pas été forcément du goût des visiteurs. Si aujourd'hui nous les apprécions de part leur intégration dans une vision globale de l'exposition, il n'en était pas de même lorsqu'en 1967, on se retrouvait nez-à-nez avec ces structures métalliques brutes et préalablement rouillées ! On imagine aisément la découverte de ces pavillons, qui semblaient avoir déjà subi les outrages du temps !

Posted Image

#14 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

These theme structures always reminded me of a piece of Canada's BMEWS line of radar stations, which replaced the old DEW line.

Posted Image

Maybe they used the fairgrounds in Montreal as a big test site. What better cover than to call them 'theme buildings'. :D

#15 lemog

lemog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

You're really well informed Randy, secret services ?
or big imagination Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users