Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tony01

1989 New York Worlds Fair ?

6 posts in this topic

Was there ever a Worlds fair planned and scheduled for New York in 1989.At the same site as the 1939 and 1964 fairs?

Yes, there was a fair planned for 1989. I remember hearing about it for the first time in 1981 or 82. You can also find theads on this subject here, just do a search.Steve

Yes, there was a fair planned for 1989. I remember hearing about it for the first time in 1981 or 82. You can also find theads on this subject here, just do a search.Steve

thank you

I wonder if it is accurate to say there were plans for a world's fair in NYC in 1989. It is probably better to say that there were suggestions that such an event could, theoretically, take place. I recall a newsletter provided at the 1979 Queens Museum retrospective on the 1939 NYWF (I believe Mr. Oates was the editor of that newsletter) which had a front page article entitled "World's Fair III." It was basically his idea, his hope that there might be another fair in Queens. As far as I recall, the proposal never received any official sanction from the city and it went no where.

They could plan one for 2039, but you'd have a bear of a time wresting all those soccer fields from the locals.

During an interview in the years the 1964 Fair was under construction, Robert Moses stated that this Fair "would be the last fair in Flushing Meadow Park." I suspect that, despite the failure to build a great urban park at the close of the second fair, he was accurate. Any future NYC fair, should there be one, would have to be held elsewhere but I won't hold my breath waiting for any announcement.