Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1989 New York Worlds Fair ?

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Was there ever a Worlds fair planned and scheduled for New York in 1989.At the same site as the 1939 and 1964 fairs?

Posted · Report post

Yes, there was a fair planned for 1989. I remember hearing about it for the first time in 1981 or 82. You can also find theads on this subject here, just do a search.Steve

Posted · Report post

Yes, there was a fair planned for 1989. I remember hearing about it for the first time in 1981 or 82. You can also find theads on this subject here, just do a search.Steve

thank you

Posted · Report post

I wonder if it is accurate to say there were plans for a world's fair in NYC in 1989. It is probably better to say that there were suggestions that such an event could, theoretically, take place. I recall a newsletter provided at the 1979 Queens Museum retrospective on the 1939 NYWF (I believe Mr. Oates was the editor of that newsletter) which had a front page article entitled "World's Fair III." It was basically his idea, his hope that there might be another fair in Queens. As far as I recall, the proposal never received any official sanction from the city and it went no where.

Posted · Report post

They could plan one for 2039, but you'd have a bear of a time wresting all those soccer fields from the locals.

Posted · Report post

During an interview in the years the 1964 Fair was under construction, Robert Moses stated that this Fair "would be the last fair in Flushing Meadow Park." I suspect that, despite the failure to build a great urban park at the close of the second fair, he was accurate. Any future NYC fair, should there be one, would have to be held elsewhere but I won't hold my breath waiting for any announcement.