Bill Cotter

Want a cool glass of orange juice?

The Florida tower always struck me as old-fashioned, but tasteless! Kind of the same level as roadside alligator farms. I wonder what other people think?

Interesting. I hadn't been to Florida by the time of the Fair, so I didn't have any point of comparison, but I sort of liked it. The bright colors caught my eye - and I like orange juice. :)

All those in favor of banishing Irv please raise their hand.

Hey, Irv, that's the first time I can recall someone saying they didn't like the luminaires. I think they are so much better than a bland streetlight. What didn't you like about them?

Some looks at the area between the two seasons.

florida-between-seasons-1.jpg

I think this is the only time I've seen the "Wouldn't you rather be in Florida" sign other than the B&W shot from the NY Daily News.

amf-florida-between-seasons.jpg

Looks sort of eerie without any people, doesn't it?

The Florida tower always struck me as old-fashioned, but tasteless! Kind of the same level as roadside alligator farms. I wonder what other people think?

Florida itself had been old fashioned and tasteless back then. No wonder the pavilion reflected that. Now it would feature LeBron James.

Before Disney transformed the state in 1971, FL portrayed itself solely through citrus and sunshine. Our other industries, real estate scams, hurricanes and good old southern racism, were not viewed favorably.

In 1964 Miami Beach was just hitting its stride as Sin City east, Vegas with an Ocean. Orlando was a little town surrounded by groves. Then air conditioning, Interstate highways, and the Boeing 707 allowed the lifestyles of Surfside Six and Clambake to be obtainable. Who could resist the iconic "Into Miami" opening of Goldfinger?

My god! Did you notice the ice skating? You can bet the Marshall Plan beneficiaries memorized every frame. Decadent West? I'll take TWO scoops!

I've lived here since 1981. This state is so diverse I don't know how they represent themselves now. I'm inside the fishbowl.

But Wayne, compared to the images FL has presented since I have been here... cocaine cowboys, the Mariel boatlift, Miami Vice, Euro Trash tourists invading South Beach, International Drive... to me, that squaresville tower looks like a lighthouse beckoning from the garden of Eden. I can almost hear Connie Francis.

- just want to thank folks for responding thoughtfully to a comment that I must admit was meant to provoke everyone a bit ;)

In 1964 Miami Beach was just hitting its stride as Sin City east, Vegas with an Ocean. Orlando was a little town surrounded by groves. Then air conditioning, Interstate highways, and the Boeing 707 allowed the lifestyles of Surfside Six and Clambake to be obtainable.

Surfside Six yes, and 'Where the Boys Are' certainly. But a Clambake? Did they actually do those in Miami? I visualize those as strictly northeast... although Bing Crosby called the Pebble Beach Golf Tournament (in California) his 'Clambake'.

I was referring to the Elvis movie, Clambake.

The boat race scene (not in clip) was footage from Miami Marine Stadium, designed by Candela.

Professor Candela mentions, "...the romantic part of concrete..."

You are right Randy, clambakes are not a South Florida activity. Girls gyrating in bikinis? Another story.