Sign in to follow this  
Lars Johansson

The Jaycopter Quesions

Hello. I wonder how you manouvered the big sized jaycopter and also how you manouvered the small penny arcade jaycopters in glass monter. I know that you should land the jaycopter on some pads in the glass monter. Do any of you have any penny arcade jaycopters at home? (I want to create a jaycopter simulator on a computer, but I will not write about how it goes since the last world's fair game I created didn't seem to catch on :D ). But a jaycopter thread/penny arcade jaycopter thread in general I hope is fine.

Don't let the lack of responses get you down. The board is very quiet right now. It tends to get that way in summer with vacations, etc.

Hello. I wonder how you manouvered the big sized jaycopter and also how you manouvered the small penny arcade jaycopters in glass monter. I know that you should land the jaycopter on some pads in the glass monter. Do any of you have any penny arcade jaycopters at home? (I want to create a jaycopter simulator on a computer, but I will not write about how it goes since the last world's fair game I created didn't seem to catch on biggrin.gif ). But a jaycopter thread/penny arcade jaycopter thread in general I hope is fine.

Lars... I worked for Jaycopter Corporation back about 1967 or 68. Originally, the two seat trainer version was built and intended as a helicopter flight simulator. Pete Jacobs had hoped that the military would be attracted to the concept. Things didn't work out quite as planned and the concept just didn't garner the recognition it deserved. The trainer as well as the amusement ride machines were flown pretty much like the real thing. The pilot had a throttle with collective control and a cyclic stick. As I recall, the trainer used the rotor and tail rotor to maximize the flight experience - I never did get to fly the trainer. The amusement ride machines made use of hydraulic cylinders (actuated by the helicopter style controls) for attitude control while the throttle and collective did actually control the rotor. In both the trainer and the amusement rides, the rotors were powered by electric motors. FWIW, before each flight we would trim the counterweight so that the main rotor was actually lifting about 300 pounds or so.

The minicopters (the penny arcade type machines) had a rheostat to control the power to the electric motor and a cable to control the attitude of the helicopter. When I left Jaycopters, Pete was working on a twin engine minicopter using two rheostats - one to control overall power to both electric motors and another in series with that to split that power betweenn the front and back motors.

Hello, this may be years to late but I was trying to see if there was any info on the web about the Jaycopter and I saw Jim Warman's name here.  I use to work with Jim at Jaycopters.  I am the son of Leo Jacobs who is one of the people who built the Jaycoptesr.  I will be building an information web site about the Jaycopter soon and I am trying to contact as many people as I can to see if they can add any info or photos about the whole thing.  The URL will be www.Jaycopter.ca 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  email: danjacobs@shaw.ca

Hi, I have nothing to contribute, but please do keep us up to date on your project!

Not too late! Glad you found us! 

Like Wayne I have nothing to add, but second his emotion about keeping us informed. 

I well remember the Jaycopter from many visits to the fair. 

The new URL for Jaycopters is now active. It's not the best website,  I forgot half of what I use to know about website design, so it will have to do.  I expect this site to grow as I hope to be able to add more stuff from other people, so if you would like to add anything to it please let me know.  danjacobs@shaw.ca

www.jaycopter.ca