Bill Cotter

A view not generally seen

log-flume-sign.jpg

June 1964

I think the only time I can remember seeing that sign for the Log Flume Ride is in one of my demolition shots. It's also tough to find pictures of the Frontier Palace or the Dancing Waters pavilion, but happily someone got them all in this shot.

thanks for the post, Bill.

Comments and questions:

1) the color looks really good - how was the original?

2) these attractions had to take a back seat to the big industrial pavilions for anyone with limited time - I expect the patrons for these were most heavily local.

3) where exactly was this taken from?

Edit - I see a smidge of the Monorail, so this seems to be taken from the Log flume or maybe the Jaycopter.

Aerial view; http://www.nywf64.com/fair_air26.shtml?98,63

The color was pretty good on the original. It had shifted slightly towards a yellow tint but was fairly easy to fix. I don't know where it was taken; it's too low to be from the monorail. My guess is the Aerial Tower ride. It was not in a sequence of slides though so hard to know for sure. Randy can probably tell us exactly, and what time of day it was.

I was out of town when this was posted and didn't see it. Now I got some of Bill's latest photos-on-CD, including this one, and discovered it. It was taken from the cross-over platform of the Log Flume ride.

But that's not the major news.

This photo led to a major discovery-- not one but TWO newly discovered locations of Molderama machines!

Let's start with this comparison photo- a few years ago we discovered a 'double'- side-by-side machines at the Brass Rail near the Billy Graham Pavilion.

Note the canopy with blue fringe.

New_Molderama_compare.jpg

Here are the locations of the two newly discovered machines. Both have the same canopy with blue fringe.

New_Molderama_map.jpg

Here is the first location. Sitting there with the Jaycopter mini-dome arcade simulators (each in a big bubble).

New_Molderama_1.jpg

What kind of molderama this produced is anybody's guess. I do note that the product display panel seems to have a background of the red & blue World's Fair colors divided diagonally (like the official flag). Maybe this machine made Unispheres, just as we guessed for the one next to Billy Graham. Other possibilities might include the seen-but-not-location-placed Abe Lincoln, which we had guessed might be inside the Illinois Pavilion General Store but never confirmed.

New_Molderama_1a.jpg

And here is the second location. The same picture that started this topic. All we can see is the top of the fringe, and part of the machine. It's sitting right behind the Arlington Hat shop next to the Log Flume ticket booth. Bill, are you brave enough to take the film out of the slide mount and see if it reveals more of the machine itself? :D

New_Molderama_2.jpg

New_Molderama_2a.jpg

As we've said many times here, we NEVER stop discovering new things!

Can't believe I found this site. I hope there's still activity in the group. I started working on the log Flume toward the end of the '64 season thru the closing & clean-up in Nov '65. Best job before or since. Lots of great memories. Ended up as asst mgr after it was taken over by Green.

Is anyone still here?

Richard Ferrar

Hi, Rich, and welcome. Yes, we're still here - glad you found us. I'm sure everyone would love to hear about your experiences at the Fair. Look around and you should spot some more log flume photos.

Wow Rich- have we ever got some questions for *you*! :)

Didn't know about a takeover by Green, but it's not surprising- there were a lot of changes in the Lake Amusement area, especially between the two seasons.

You might remember things about the area immediately surrounding the Log Flume too. Do you remember a hot dog place called Franksville? Apparently they were out of Chicago... and might not have been back in '65.

Hi Richard, welcome, and Happy New Year!

Yep, we're here. What was the company you worked for before Green (and what else did Green own?)?

Before Mr. Green it was owned by WT Developement Corp.from Ft. Worth & managed by Errol McCoy. Green also owned, from what I understand, Freedomland, in the Bronx. Don't remember Franksville. Most lunches were spent at the Dinkelacker Beer Garden, after I urged them to offer a World's Fair Employee discount.LOL Not insignificantly, I also had a crush on a beautiful German waitress there named Erna. I also had crushes on Graciela from Buenos Aires who worked for Belgian Waffles and Marty Kroft's wife, the Playmate of the Year, who was sort of a hostess at his Les Poupee de Paris.

Tomorrow, or the next day I'll continue

Happy New Year to all

We have several color pictures of a hostess at the front of Les Poupee de Paris, dressed in feathers like a Vegas showgirl. Had no idea that might by Marty Kroft's wife. :)

From the Log Flume, you had to go over the Meadow Lake Bridge to get to Dinkelacker didn't you.. on your lunch break. Maybe that's not too far a walk. It was at the far end of the Bourbon Street shops.

A few years back I found somebody from the family who opened that Dinkelacker beer garden. They had the first Dinkelacker distributorship in America, and were trying to make inroads against more established competitors like Lowenbrau. Maybe they remember Erna. :) They certainly remembered the oom-pah-pah band (a trio) that they hired. We have pictures of Dinkelacker too. Maybe Erna is in one of them.

Keep it coming, Rich, this is great stuff! It's fun to hear memories from someone who was there every day and has such a different perspective from us who just attended as kids with our parents.

Finally back on the computer! This has really got me to thinking back to those times. Before I discovered Dink I'd bring a sandwich from home & eat it at Bobo's pen. Bobo was a very large Bhrama bull that Fred Showalter had ridden from Ft. Worth as publicity for 6 Flags. Fred was kept on as part of the Flume crew. A great guy & good friend.

About the walk from the Flume to Bourbon street, honestly, a lot of Dinkelacker has gone down the drain since then. I'm sure that, back then, I sometimes had trouble finding my way back to the ride after lunch! I do remember that, at least, getting there, I'd walk briskly. Probably, returning, rather wobbly.

In 64 most of the crew were from Texas. BTW the shirt i'm wearing in my avatar was our uniform. In 65 more non-Texans were there. Carla Couture from Tampa, former Miss Tampa. Betty Brown, also a secretary for Adolph Green & Betty Comden.

Much more to tell, but gotta go now

Marty Kroft's wife was Christa Speck from Germany.

Back soon, Rich

Hey Rich love reading reminiscences from employees. Did you go to see "From Broawday With Love" during its short run?

Over the weekend I looked in photos to try to find Bobo's pen but struck out so far. Any clues, Rich? Was it among those 'tents' behind the Texas Pavilion?

I think it was at the rear of the far watercourse near the monorail & the Van Wyck expressway. I do remember that there were no people around. Just me & Bobo. I wish there were a decent aerial photo of the area. Do you know of any? Speaking of photos I spoke to my friend Marc, who took the pic of me in the red-checked shirt & asked him if he would look through his slides & send me them to scan. He said he had lots, just has to find them. When he does, I'll post them.

Haven't spotted Bobo's pen yet, but I found a clue in a newspaper article dated June 26, 1964:

College student Jerry Cotton, 24, entered the New Amsterdam Gate astride a Brahma bull named Bobo, which he had ridden 2,200 miles from his home near Fort Worth, Texas.
Jerry, carriying greetings to the Fair from Texas Governor John Connally, was welcomed by Angus G. Wynne, Jr., builder of the Texas Pavilions and co-producer of "To Broadway With Love", the big musical playing at the Music Hall. Jerry and Bobo now are appearing in the show's Carousel number.

So... it would stand to reason if Bobo had to appear several times a day on stage, they would keep him in a pen right behind the Music Hall (which was indeed near the Van Wyck as Rich recalls). Unfortunately, it was also one of the least-photographed areas of the entire World's Fair. :)
The only true direct overhead aerial photo we have of that area, was from the spring of '64 before Bobo would have arrived.

I also found an early article that said Jerry and Bobo had departed Fort Worth the previous September with a declaration from the governor naming Bobo a Texas Ambassador of Goodwill. This would have been just two month's before the Governor's unfortunate ride in the motorcade in Dallas, when he was seriously wounded.

Fred must have been connected to Bobo in some way, perhaps part of the bull's entourage en route to NY. In my head I could very easily made him the rider. The name Jerry Cotton does, indeed ring a bell, though.

Thought of a couple of possibly interesting things to relate.

One of my favorite fellow crew members was Judith Jamison who went on to become the hottest modern dancer in the world withe the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater. At the time she was studying at Fisk University & loved telling people she went to FU. She was a terrific person.

At least once a month there would appear an entourage of Kennedys. John-John loved the ride.

One night Sarah Churchill came with bodyguards, drunk as a skunk. As I helped her down into the log she tumbled into the seat, legs askew. Not embarrassed at all, she rode off with a bodyguard in front & one in back. It was quite a show & the sight is burned into my brain almost 50 years later!

I checked her birthday and looks like Sarah Churchill would have been age 50 in 1964. Yes, that IS quite a sight for her to be drunk as a skunk and tumbling into a log flume ride. :)

She was known as something of a wild woman, with alcohol problems...

http://www.xgbdesign.com/george-lacks/journals/enlargements/enlg08.html

By the way, if you ever wondered..... when the Fair closed in 1965, the log flume and the Aerial Tower nearby were sold to Recreation Corp. of America to go into their new Pirates World in Dania, Florida.

Pirates World opened in 1966 but didn't do well. The opening of Disney World finally finished it off, and Pirates World closed quickly in 1975.

Although it's been widely communicated over many years that the log flume at Pirates World came from the New York Worlds Fair, there have also been occasional rumors that the flume at Six Flags Great America in New Jersey came from the New York World's Fair. hmmmm.....

I looked at a number of pictures of the log flume at Pirates World, and guess what- it was a single log flume. The setup at the World's Fair had TWO log flume rides, right next to each other.

So... it appears to be entirely possibly that one went to Pirates World and one went to GADV... the same place that the World's Fair Sky Ride went.. so we KNOW that park's owners were shopping at the post-Fair disposition sales.

And here is an entirely DIFFERENT account of where the double flume at the NYWF went....

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=234.0

I also found several accounts that say that the flume at Great America in New Jersey was brand new when it opened in 1974, and was billed as the 'longest in the world'.