Bill Cotter

WNEW News at the Fair

Bill, That's the best view i have ever seen of the Irish pavilion. With that tower in the middle it's an interesting design. If you have any more please put them up. I know there was some views of the inside years ago, but outside shots seen few and far between.

One reason is, look at the leaves on the trees in Bill's picture. There are none. Probably 99% of the days the Fair was open, those trees were covered in heavy foliage, blocking photos.

I have more of the inside and outside, and will get them online as I finish cleaning them up. As Randy said, the trees make it hard to find good shots for much of the year. This one was from April 21, 1965.

Here's another view from the same day:

ireland-apr-21-65-1a.jpg

Incidentally, the picture needed some help along the way. Here's the original version:

ireland-apr-21-65-1.jpg

I took out the guy just leaving the frame on the bottom left, then had to fix the strange black blob in the upper right. That was printed on the slide that way, and it looks like the chemicals had run when originally developed. Thanks once again to Photoshop. Anyone else using the new CS5 version?

Bill, I don't think that's a black blob. You were looking zoomed in doing cleanup.

Zoom back out, like the sample you posted, and you'll see that it's the flag flying from the flagpole there in the Court of States. In fact you can probably read the name on the flagpole, and see that the color of that particular flag is indeed the flag for that state. In the News car picture, you can see the same flag flying on the same flagpole, and there is some kind of crest in the middle that isn't visible in the photo where you thought it was a blob.

I'm curious about something-- all three pictures have reds coming out an identical shade- whether it's the News car, or ladies' dresses or coats. Is that intentional or something Photoshop is doing? It's a really pleasing shade, but I'm wondering if it's coincidence that ALL reds seem to be coming out exactly that shade. Usually random selection in pictures reveals several different shades. Maybe it's a characteristic of the film that was used, or the lab where the slides were processed "pushing" reds in a particular direction?

That looks like it would be the Vermont flag. It's funny looking on the slide, with very sharp edges, so I mistook it for a defect. I guess I'll have to add it back in. :)

As to the reds, that's just the way they all came out. I hadn't done any color tweaking other than the initial ROC correction. The film type wasn't identified on the mounts, but perhaps that's how this batch registered reds.

I took out the guy just leaving the frame on the bottom left

How rude of the guy to block the photograph to begin with- serves him right to get erased 45 years later! :P

I don't mess with people much, but I'm always tempted to attack those oil spots on asphalt with the clone brush, as well as things like bubble gum stuck on the asphalt, dropped chewing gum wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. :D

Historically inaccurate to make everything cleaner and more pristine than it really was, but I sometimes end up compromising the historical accuracy argument with a mental tradeoff that in order to get rid of the scratches and mold on the emulsion, in so doing the cigarette butt just happened to disappear too. LOL

Is that luminare per the operations manual with 2 whites in a row (was obscured by the flag)? BTW where is the operations manual?

I love these photographs of the Irish pavilion. My parents (especially my father) loved that pavilion. I have vivid memories of that exhibit including a large map inside the main entrance. It listed hundreds of Irish last names and their locations in Ireland. I remember a public address system repeating those Irish last names in a deep brogue. And I recall a cafe where my parents had Irish coffee. It seems like yesterday. Thank you VERY much for the photographs. They are wonderful.

And I recall a cafe where my parents had Irish coffee.

Bill has a couple of great photos of that Irish coffee bar coming soon, unless he's already posted them here. I saw them recently.

I will be so pleased to see those photographs. I have some fairly clear memories of that pavilion and its cafe.

I am not sure about this, but I do not believe Ireland has generally participated in international expositions. I do not recall hearing of Irish pavilions at any other fair. Ireland did not participate at Expo 67. I know that Ireland, during most of the 20th Century (following independence in 1922) was a very poor nation--the poorest in western Europe. That may explain their absence from other fairs--unless, of course, that I am wrong and they did participate at some other fair. Does anyone know for certain?

Ireland was at the White City Expositions beginning in 1908, with a privately-funded place called 'Irish Village- Ballymaclinton'.

The concept was similar to Belgian Villages at later World's Fairs.

This is interesting, something about Ireland at the 1939 NYWF.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1939-worlds-fair-cork-ireland-irish-pavilion

The Irish Pavilion at this World's Fair was said to be shaped like a shamrock.

Irish Pavilion in Seville in 1992.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/20492771

It's tiny, but this was the 'House of Ireland' at the California International Exposition in San Diego in 1935.

It's still there.

b3026974-60cc-4ce0-a820-4d55865a18c7.JPG